NZGames.com Forums
Register FAQ Calendar Mark Forums Read

Go Back   NZGames.com Forums > General > Technology & Troubleshooting
User Name
Password

Old 3rd November 2011, 13:58     #7481
Deadmeat

Apple to claim the top spot for units shipped in q4? Might be a big ask since they're only bringing out the 4s and not a 5 that many were expecting/hoping for. Siri seems to be the only really new thing and only because they are arbitrarily limiting it to the 4s. The best thing you can say about it is that it's catching up to samsung in specs.
Old 3rd November 2011, 14:03     #7482
crocos

Not a problem - 4S is a good phone, will fly off the shelves. Even if it wasn't, the Apple Faithful would still make it go hardcore.

Quote:
Originally Posted by p01s0n
Lol if your platform of choice doesn't have ip messaging built in at the OS layer
You must be lolling then. Included with the OS & not replacable because it uses hidden APIs <> part of the OS.

وكل يوم كنت تعيش في العبودية

Last edited by crocos : 3rd November 2011 at 14:05.
Old 3rd November 2011, 14:07     #7483
Ab
A mariachi ogre snorkel

Quote:
Originally Posted by Deadmeat
Apple to claim the top spot for units shipped in q4?
Apple doesn't report on units shipped, it reports on sales. I guess where Apple is concerned that's the same thing, because it pretty much sells every unit it makes.

Samsung announced the other day that it shipped 20 million phones to retailers last quarter, although there are no figures on how many sold or how many were returned after sale.

Apple hasn't announced new sales figures other than that the Iphone 4S sold 4 million in the first weekend it was on sale, not sure what that means in terms of hours.

Off the top of my head (no figures to hand) I'd say Android has the biggest OS market share, Apple is leading in sales by manufacturer (hard to say though because Android-handset manufacturers are too scared to release sales figures), Apple is leading in data usage (people use iOS to do more network-data-intensive stuff), Apple is leading in searches from mobile devices (this is where Google makes its money), and Apple is leading in revenue by so much it's like no-one else is even in the race.

Thanks to the patent licenses I think Microsoft now makes more money from Android than Google.
Old 3rd November 2011, 15:02     #7484
p01s0n

Quote:
Originally Posted by crocos
Not a problem - 4S is a good phone, will fly off the shelves. Even if it wasn't, the Apple Faithful would still make it go hardcore.

You must be lolling then. Included with the OS & not replacable because it uses hidden APIs <> part of the OS.
crocos, just shut up, ok?
Old 3rd November 2011, 15:04     #7485
p01s0n

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ab
Me in Feb last year:

I'm calling death watch on RIM. As of today its share price is below its book value and a breakup while vultures pick at the bones seems inevitable.

The little-guy spot will go to WP7 by default.
two ceos, no one to blame.
Old 3rd November 2011, 15:06     #7486
Whiplash
Bobo Fettish

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cowboy
Anyone bought a 4S in here at all? I'm looking at upgrading my 3GS.
Just played with a workmates 4S. Siri is quite impressive. No issue with speech recognition but no location based stuff for NZ yet.

Photos are noticeably clearer too.
Old 3rd November 2011, 15:12     #7487
Jodi

Now that ALAC support is open source there is no reason for me not to get apple smartphone. Well, except the cost.

So instead I'm going to get a $150 android phone, enable wifi hotstop, and tape it to my 4th gen iPod touch.

boom! ghetto iPhone!

I also agree with Ab. The 3 players will be Apple, Google and W7. Although over time I think W7 will eat google the way chrome has eaten firefox. Unless google can fix its fragmentation mess out.
Old 3rd November 2011, 15:25     #7488
^BITES^

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jodi
I also agree with Ab. The 3 players will be Apple, Google and W7. Although over time I think W7 will eat google the way chrome has eaten firefox. Unless google can fix its fragmentation mess out.
Betting on W7 beating anything (maybe rim/meego?) is a long a fuck shot tbh ....

()_) ()_)--o-)_)
Old 3rd November 2011, 15:37     #7489
crocos

Quote:
crocos, just shut up, ok?
Can't handle being called on your bullshit, can ya?

وكل يوم كنت تعيش في العبودية
Old 3rd November 2011, 15:39     #7490
p01s0n

Quote:
Can't handle being called on your bullshit, can ya?
no, it's because you clearly went all aspergers about it.
bbm, imessage - both supplied with rim0s and iOS5.
android - needs a 3rd party app for it.

but oh lordy lordy crocos gotta get up here an sperg sperg sperg about a minor detail.
Old 3rd November 2011, 15:39     #7491
mr selfdestruct
The Deliverator

Quote:
Apple to claim the top spot for units shipped in q4?
Who gives a fuck? McDonalds sell more french fries than anyone else on Earth. They must be the best french fries on Earth I guess, how could all those customers possibly be wrong?
Old 3rd November 2011, 15:40     #7492
mr selfdestruct
The Deliverator

Quote:
Originally Posted by ^BITES^
Betting on W7 beating anything (maybe rim/meego?) is a long a fuck shot tbh ....
Why's that? Blow me away with your knowledge on this please, I'm interested to know.
Old 3rd November 2011, 15:47     #7493
Ab
A mariachi ogre snorkel

Quote:
Originally Posted by mr selfdestruct
Why's that? Blow me away with your knowledge on this please, I'm interested to know.
Because it's ms. It is incapable of succeeding - hell, surviving - in a market without the headstart of a monopoly position. The company couldn't work out how to make a sandcastle if you gave it a bucket, a spade, and a beach.
Old 3rd November 2011, 15:55     #7494
Cowboy

Quote:
Originally Posted by Savage
Yep - that's why I'm selling my IP4
Oh, have you got it already? How do you find it?

I suppose from a 4 to a 4S there's not a lot of performance difference?
Old 3rd November 2011, 15:59     #7495
Cowboy

Quote:
Originally Posted by Whiplash
Just played with a workmates 4S. Siri is quite impressive. No issue with speech recognition but no location based stuff for NZ yet.

Photos are noticeably clearer too.
Sweet, that sounds good to me. I was tempted by the I4 but having only had my 3GS a year it wasn't really worth upgrading. A couple of years on though it's a different story

Quite keen on the better camera + flash and screen. Siri is cherry on the top I guess.

I wonder if the location stuff is coming when the 4S is released here as well (Prob not).
Old 3rd November 2011, 16:07     #7496
Savage

Quote:
Oh, have you got it already? How do you find it?

I suppose from a 4 to a 4S there's not a lot of performance difference?
Yep, it arrived by courier about a week ago. My previous phone was gifted to me by my previous employer in Auckland before I came over to Sydney. I can now sell the IP4 and pick up basically a free upgrade to the 4S. Its great not being on prepay anymore ^^

I haven't put a screen protector on just yet, and its awesome. Got used to the previous phone's slightly glazed appearance from its cover as it got used over time, and its great going back to a naked one.

Siri is pretty much a novelty item for me at this stage, haven't really used it very much. Some games and applications load a bit faster, but not blindingly so. The camera is a lot better in terms of speed (both loading the app and taking pictures). The best part of the upgrade for me is the actual plan I got onto, the handset more of the deal sweetener.

I imagine it will be a significant improvement over a 3 or 3GS.
Old 3rd November 2011, 16:30     #7497
Disinformation

Quote:
no, it's because you clearly went all aspergers about it.
bbm, imessage - both supplied with rim0s and iOS5.
android - needs a 3rd party app for it.

but oh lordy lordy crocos gotta get up here an sperg sperg sperg about a minor detail.
How the hell is Gtalk a third party app? Its on every licensed Android phone out of the box.
Old 3rd November 2011, 17:13     #7498
^BITES^

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ab
Because it's ms. It is incapable of succeeding - hell, surviving - in a market without the headstart of a monopoly position. The company couldn't work out how to make a sandcastle if you gave it a bucket, a spade, and a beach.
/tiphat
This pretty much.

Winmo had HUGE leaps and bounds over EVERYONE in regards to market penetration and device capabilities (compared to other offerings at the time) ... then it all went to shit ....

I had numerous Windows phones ... despite them looking like "My first tricorder" (and felt like a pc trying be a phone ... which was better than imates which were phones trying to be computers >.<) ... they did the job .. had potential .. stagnated .. and floundered HARD.

See Zune as another fine example.

()_) ()_)--o-)_)

Last edited by ^BITES^ : 3rd November 2011 at 17:15.
Old 3rd November 2011, 17:21     #7499
p01s0n

Quote:
Originally Posted by Disinformation
How the hell is Gtalk a third party app? Its on every licensed Android phone out of the box.
idk man it just isnt ok.

unified sms/imessage supremacy anyway.
Old 3rd November 2011, 17:47     #7500
Deadmeat

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ab
Apple doesn't report on units shipped, it reports on sales. I guess where Apple is concerned that's the same thing, because it pretty much sells every unit it makes.
Well like it or not, comparisons between apples sold and samsungs shipped figures are being made. It's certainly worth taking samsungs 28 million figure with a grain of salt but with no reports of their handsets piling up / being returned in quantity I would be surprised if it was too far off their actual sales figures (even if sales are 25% lower... 21 million).

Quote:
It's definitely a good phone and it'll sell well sure, but it doesn't seem to have filled a lot of peoples expectations of what the new iphone would be. Siri might be great, but it's being limited to 4s to try and make it a phone feature rather than a software feature available to all compatible idevices. Maybe they'll expand it to other devices but that'll just make the 4s seem even more like a 4.0.1.
Old 3rd November 2011, 21:58     #7501
Heresy
yawn.

RIM should focus on their most loyal market - UK youths.

New RIM ad blurb: Need to organise a riot? Use BBM!
Old 3rd November 2011, 22:04     #7502
p01s0n

Quote:
Well like it or not, comparisons between apples sold and samsungs shipped figures are being made.
by idiot tech 'journalists'
Old 3rd November 2011, 22:38     #7503
mr selfdestruct
The Deliverator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ab
That's your argument? Market share? and they don't know what they're doing? that's it?
Old 3rd November 2011, 22:42     #7504
mr selfdestruct
The Deliverator

Quote:
Originally Posted by ^BITES^
/tiphat
This pretty much.

Winmo had HUGE leaps and bounds over EVERYONE in regards to market penetration and device capabilities (compared to other offerings at the time) ... then it all went to shit ....

I had numerous Windows phones ... despite them looking like "My first tricorder" (and felt like a pc trying be a phone ... which was better than imates which were phones trying to be computers >.<) ... they did the job .. had potential .. stagnated .. and floundered HARD.

See Zune as another fine example.
Doesn't feel like a PC to me... Mind you I never used them prior to 7 and 7 was pretty fuckin' n00b until the Mango update was released but apart from not having some of the cool apps that the other types do like HeyTell there isn't a lot I'm envious about on an Android or iPhone.

And what's wrong with Zune? I don't use my phone for music or video (apart from stuff I record myself). I only use Zune for marketplace from a PC pretty much but it seems fine to me. Certainly no worse than iTunes. I don't really have to use it anyway to be honest.

Last edited by mr selfdestruct : 3rd November 2011 at 22:43.
Old 3rd November 2011, 23:02     #7505
Brandoo

Quote:
by idiot tech 'journalists'
Says the idi... guy on some random forum.
Old 4th November 2011, 04:20     #7506
Heresy
yawn.

p01s0n's kid at halloween

Old 4th November 2011, 10:05     #7507
Brandoo

ANyone interested - details are coming through about the HTC Rezound (with Beats Audio).

http://www.androidcentral.com/htc-re...event-liveblog
Old 4th November 2011, 11:56     #7508
p01s0n

Quote:
Originally Posted by Heresy
p01s0n's kid at halloween
not possible, i'm sterile
Old 4th November 2011, 12:03     #7509
Brandoo

Quote:
not possible, i'm sterile
Thank god!
Old 4th November 2011, 13:35     #7510
Ab
A mariachi ogre snorkel

Quote:
Originally Posted by mr selfdestruct
That's your argument? Market share? and they don't know what they're doing? that's it?
The fact that a company doesn't know what it's doing does make me skeptical about its ability to compete in a new market filled with experienced badasses, yes. Especially when the company has failed over and over and over again when trying to do just that.
Old 4th November 2011, 14:00     #7511
p01s0n

ITS ALL MARKETING THATS THE ONLY REASON APPLE SELLS SO MANY PRODUCTS ITS MARKETING MARKETING ALL MARKETING

Old 4th November 2011, 15:05     #7512
mr selfdestruct
The Deliverator

It's not all marketing bro, I reckon it's at least 50% Apple fan boys that take every opportunity to spout about how much better iPhone is than everything else in existence.

Common mistake by iPhone users:
"that phone I don't use is lame because I don't use it because it's lame..."
Old 4th November 2011, 15:06     #7513
Ab
A mariachi ogre snorkel

Fuck that's a great quote I gotta use that somewhere
Old 4th November 2011, 15:19     #7514
mr selfdestruct
The Deliverator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ab
Fuck that's a great quote I gotta use that somewhere
Hey hey hey, don't go using my material now SHG :P
Old 4th November 2011, 15:39     #7515
Cowboy

Nice, pre-orders for the 4S here have finally opened. Ordered
Old 4th November 2011, 15:50     #7516
Furry Crew

Quote:
Nice, pre-orders for the 4S here have finally opened. Ordered

I'll be ordering one for my mother as the contract is up and with the plan she needs it's a free cellphone. Not that my mother uses even 25% of the capabilities of her 3GS /facepalm

Old 4th November 2011, 16:43     #7517
Cowboy

Quote:
Originally Posted by Furry Crew
I'll be ordering one for my mother as the contract is up and with the plan she needs it's a free cellphone. Not that my mother uses even 25% of the capabilities of her 3GS /facepalm
Yeah my mum is going to buy one as well. Only she's not had a smartphone before, only those awful Motorolla ones.

I suspect she will use it as much as yours
Old 4th November 2011, 19:50     #7518
cyc
Objection!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Brandoo
Thank god!
It'd be even better if he'd turn PVS as a favour to the world.
Old 4th November 2011, 19:53     #7519
mpx

Does anyone know if the HTC Wildfire is any good for a budget smartphone? My mother asked me about smartphones for the $40 a month contract on Telecom but I'm not really hip with Android. All I know is that she's looking for a relatively budget smartphone. Anyone got any tips?
Old 4th November 2011, 21:53     #7520
Heresy
yawn.

It's pretty old now. Mums probably won't care about that, though. Your mum especially. Boom!

Had a go with the iPhone 4S camera yesterday - takes photos hella quick. Very impressed. Reason enough to get one to replace any P&S camera you may have.