leadinjector

because hes powerful. women are drawn to power over things like looks
Old 5th January 2009, 23:54     #6482
fidgit
Always itchy

Quote:
Originally Posted by BillHague
Couldn't agree more.

When he lost Reznor's production, he lost the plot.
I wouldn't agree. He's moved a long way from what he was doing when Reznor was producing, but then, Reznor has also moved a long way from where he was at the time - even if they were still working together they would not be anything like Antichrist and earlier.

The biggest problem I have with Marilyn Manson now is he seems stuck in the angry 16 year old stage. The albums right up to the newest one seemed to be a concerted effort to appeal to teenagers, rather than growing up with his core fan base. I suppose what I'd like to see is for him to pull a Nick Cave and grow up a bit.

(this should be taken with tablespoons of salt - I spent the better part the end of the last decade and the first half of this one listening to Manson moe than anything else. It might just be that I grew up. Finally.)
Old 6th January 2009, 00:07     #6483
BillHague

Hey, don't get me wrong, I still listen to the (is it 5?) albums that followed Antichrist Superstar, but all I'm saying is that that is a masterpiece, and the rest are just grinding out an inferior version of the same formula.

I also love Portrait of an American Family
Old 6th January 2009, 00:22     #6484
fidgit
Always itchy

Quote:
Originally Posted by BillHague
Hey, don't get me wrong, I still listen to the (is it 5?) albums that followed Antichrist Superstar, but all I'm saying is that that is a masterpiece, and the rest are just grinding out an inferior version of the same formula.

I also love Portrait of an American Family
Righto, got you wrong indeed. And I can't disagree with you on which album was bestest.

Damn shame they didn't do (more of) Lunchbox when they played in Auckland last year.

Hopefully now that Twiggy's back he can get Manson back on some decent acid and he'll make another great album ;>
Old 6th January 2009, 01:31     #6485
Rep

Feel good story of the day. Earth trying to reverse global warming itself.

http://www.dailymail.co.uk/sciencete....html?ITO=1490

Called iron fertilization.
Old 6th January 2009, 02:53     #6486
doppelgänger of someone

Beauty and the Beast

There was a photo in 2008 person of the year edition of Time magazine. Ostensively a photo of Sarkozy and spouse, but the beauty and elegance of Carla Bruni immediately became the focus of that photo. Oh there was hint of a nipple underneath her beautiful silk blouse.

I can't find a scan of that photo, you don't realize how fugly and creepy Sarkozy really looks until you see his wife.
Old 6th January 2009, 08:51     #6487
crocos

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rep
I imagine this is how those "killer lakes" form - the ones that kill small lakeside towns when they release a "burp"?

وكل يوم كنت تعيش في العبودية
Old 6th January 2009, 10:53     #6488
leadinjector

Quote:
Originally Posted by doppelgänger of someone
There was a photo in 2008 person of the year edition of Time magazine. Ostensively a photo of Sarkozy and spouse, but the beauty and elegance of Carla Bruni immediately became the focus of that photo. Oh there was hint of a nipple underneath her beautiful silk blouse.

I can't find a scan of that photo, you don't realize how fugly and creepy Sarkozy really looks until you see his wife.
heres a question- is it more shallow for a guy to be with a girl because shes good looking, or for a girl to be with a guy because of his position of power/wealth? lets be realistic, would she date him if he was say an accountant or owned a menswear store? i sincerely doubt its his wonderful personality that keeps her around.
Old 6th January 2009, 11:10     #6489
xor

Quote:
Originally Posted by leadinjector
heres a question- is it more shallow for a guy to be with a girl because shes good looking, or for a girl to be with a guy because of his position of power/wealth? lets be realistic, would she date him if he was say an accountant or owned a menswear store? i sincerely doubt its his wonderful personality that keeps her around.
It's more shallow for the guy because she will get a few wrinkles as she gets a bit older. And when she does he can always upgrade to a newer model. Money has a greater shelf life
Old 6th January 2009, 11:27     #6490
SpaceCowboy
Here be dragons

Quote:
heres a question- is it more shallow for a guy to be with a girl because shes good looking, or for a girl to be with a guy because of his position of power/wealth?
neither, we are hard wired to do so. good looking girls are healthier and have the best chance of bearing children for us. on a similar track, more powerful guys are more attractive to women because they can ensure a good life for them and their future families.

so really, nothing is shallow, its just natural.
Old 6th January 2009, 11:41     #6491
leadinjector

true. i think its a lifetime of romanticisation that makes peolpe think we are attracted to people and not what they have/can offer
Old 6th January 2009, 12:11     #6492
MadMax
Stuff

i don't know if anyone remembers me posting about my dad banking a rather large sum from a cheque he was posted from some spam or nigerian type outfit. turns out the cheque had actualy been stolen, some details changed and reprinted onto an A4 page with some paper that had VOID written all over it when copied.

even though the cheque cleared the bank held the money, and whatever interest gained was far outweighed by change in the dollar so he owed the bank a rather large amount of money. luckily sorted by a banking ombudsman.

Last edited by MadMax : 6th January 2009 at 12:12.
Old 6th January 2009, 13:50     #6493
Sgt Seb
Up Unt At Dem!

Quote:
true. i think its a lifetime of romanticisation that makes peolpe think we are attracted to people and not what they have/can offer
Yeah too many brainwashing Hollywood movies.
Old 6th January 2009, 13:51     #6494
Sgt Seb
Up Unt At Dem!

At least guys are honest that they want good body, pretty face. A lot of women (although less as time goes on) tell me that body/face is completely unimportant to them, which is totally disingenuous.
Old 6th January 2009, 13:57     #6495
chiQ
Frag-muff

Quote:
Originally Posted by SpaceCowboy
neither, we are hard wired to do so. good looking girls are healthier and have the best chance of bearing children for us. on a similar track, more powerful guys are more attractive to women because they can ensure a good life for them and their future families.

Totally. I married BaM for his cooking.
Old 6th January 2009, 14:08     #6496
xor

Quote:
Originally Posted by chiQ
Totally. I married BaM for his cooking.
Speaking of which. What are the recipes you guys make for pizza?
We've been making our own dough and making some pretty nice pizzas with Salami, cherry tomatos and brie. After some different flavours

Anyone make wholemeal bases?
Old 6th January 2009, 14:15     #6497
leadinjector

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sgt Seb
At least guys are honest that they want good body, pretty face. A lot of women (although less as time goes on) tell me that body/face is completely unimportant to them, which is totally disingenuous.
while i dont think its unimportant i think it is less important. im no catch but ive landed some good looking girls, whereas even if a girl is extremely cool, if shes fat and ugly i wont go there (well, not since high school >.>) and i think that works for pretty much any guy. although different guys have different standards
Old 6th January 2009, 14:17     #6498
Cyberbob

Quote:
Originally Posted by crocos
I imagine this is how those "killer lakes" form - the ones that kill small lakeside towns when they release a "burp"?
I thought that was more from chlorine gas etc
Old 6th January 2009, 14:19     #6499
chiQ
Frag-muff

Quote:
Originally Posted by xor
We've been making our own dough and making some pretty nice pizzas with Salami, cherry tomatos and brie. After some different flavours

Check out the Hell thread. BaM posted some recipes, including one he made up on the spot while he posted (subsequently made and enjoyed), with a link to the bases we use. No point in making them when you can buy wonderful bases at the supermarket!
Old 6th January 2009, 14:25     #6500
Torka

http://www.trademe.co.nz/Antiques-co...-195121104.htm
Old 6th January 2009, 14:26     #6501
Jonas Undrawing

this sausage roll tastes like a spring roll with no vegetables. lose.
Old 6th January 2009, 14:31     #6502
dylan
Huh?

Quote:
neither, we are hard wired to do so. good looking girls are healthier and have the best chance of bearing children for us.
That makes no sense.

'Pretty' has nothing to do with childbearing. 'Pretty' also has little to do with being healthy.

Someone like Beatrice Faumiana (no idea how to spell that) would be the world's #1 desired mum for your children if what you say is true.

Personally, I think she's hot. But I think other girls are hot too and I doubt they'd make very good mothers
Old 6th January 2009, 14:31     #6503
Jonas Undrawing

Quote:
Originally Posted by xor

To cook add: cheese, tandori chicken pieces, coconut. After cooking add: slices of banana, spring onions, and a little chutney in the middle.
Old 6th January 2009, 14:36     #6504
SpaceCowboy
Here be dragons

Quote:
Originally Posted by dylan
'Pretty' has nothing to do with childbearing. 'Pretty' also has little to do with being healthy.
maybe not in this century, but in past eons it certainly did. if you were a wandering caveman, would you rather shag a hobbit with sores all over her body, a bung leg, and a lazy eye, or would you rather shag a healthy looking pretty thing?

note that the one with the bung leg would also probably have bad genes - another reason to do not want.
Old 6th January 2009, 14:40     #6505
Torka

lol, evopsych
Old 6th January 2009, 14:54     #6506
Trigga*happY

Quote:
maybe not in this century, but in past eons it certainly did. if you were a wandering caveman, would you rather shag a hobbit with sores all over her body, a bung leg, and a lazy eye, or would you rather shag a healthy looking pretty thing?

note that the one with the bung leg would also probably have bad genes - another reason to do not want.
However, pretty is a new concept when you are talking eons. Typically a well fed or by todays standards 'tubby' woman would be considered attractive as skinny would have been associated with malnourished and not suitable for child bearing.

Therefore your hypothesis is incorrect.
Old 6th January 2009, 14:54     #6507
Saladin
Nothing to See Here!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cyberbob
I thought that was more from chlorine gas etc
Nope, good old CO2 - though from volcanic sources, not algae..

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Lake_Nyos
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Lake_monoun
Old 6th January 2009, 14:59     #6508
leadinjector

Quote:
That makes no sense.

Someone like Beatrice Faumiana (no idea how to spell that) would be the world's #1 desired mum for your children if what you say is true.

Personally, I think she's hot. But I think other girls are hot too and I doubt they'd make very good mothers
depends what you term as "pretty" (beatrice? what the fuck?)

for me its someone who is in shape. someone with wide hips, someone who has exotic features, nice skin, who doesnt have habits like smoking etc. all of these are based on how good they would be at fathering my kids- a healthy person is more liky to have healthy babies, wide hips is obvious, exotic features means they are unlikely to possess a similar immune system to me

but if you just mean pretty as in someone like keira knightley who has a pretty face but is an emaciated skeleton then yeah it wouldnt be an indicator.
Old 6th January 2009, 15:00     #6509
leadinjector

Quote:
Originally Posted by Trigga*happY
However, pretty is a new concept when you are talking eons. Typically a well fed or by todays standards 'tubby' woman would be considered attractive as skinny would have been associated with malnourished and not suitable for child bearing.

Therefore your hypothesis is incorrect.
girl doesnt have to be fat or skinny, can be an inbetween where the fat is in all the right places
Old 6th January 2009, 15:03     #6510
StN
I have detailed files

o_O

Quote:
depends what you term as "pretty"...
for me its someone who is in shape. someone with wide hips, someone who has exotic features, nice skin, who doesnt have habits like smoking etc. all of these are based on how good they would be at fathering my kids.
You're looking for a chick to father your kids?
Old 6th January 2009, 15:09     #6511
fixed_truth

Quote:

I think that there are definitely certain traits that we are attracted to in mates related to survival which come from the evolutionary process.
I don't agree with you that good looking girls are necessarily healthier and think this is more a cultural thing (arguably today's top models are undernourished). The same with an abundance of money necessitating 'a good life'.
I think the most human (natural) thing about us is our free will. This enables us NOT to be a slave to our genes. Instead of just having a causal relationship with our biology (like other animals) we can make our own mind up about how we act.
Old 6th January 2009, 15:14     #6512
Trigger
Laserman

Quote:
That makes no sense.

sweet as, you can have the fugly fatties and I'll have the hot young supermodels
win win
Old 6th January 2009, 15:24     #6513
Evoke

Quote:
Originally Posted by fixed_truth
I think the most human (natural) thing about us is our free will. This enables us NOT to be a slave to our genes. Instead of just having a causal relationship with our biology (like other animals) we can make our own mind up about how we act.
what bullshit.
Old 6th January 2009, 15:30     #6514
fixed_truth

Quote:
Originally Posted by Evoke
what bullshit.
for you maybe. baa
Old 6th January 2009, 15:31     #6515
Redneck

Quote:
what bullshit.
So what about suicide?
Old 6th January 2009, 15:37     #6516
Evoke

Quote:
Originally Posted by fixed_truth
for you maybe. baa
you may think you're making a choice, but the reality is your environment, your genes, and your experiences make you see the only (or maybe a couple) of the myriad of choices available. thus you are 'a slave' as you say just like other animals.
Old 6th January 2009, 15:41     #6517
Redneck

Quote:
(or maybe a couple) of the myriad of choices available. thus you are 'a slave' as you say just like other animals.
That's Contradiction! (tm)
Old 6th January 2009, 15:42     #6518
Evoke

it's as much a contradiction as giving your boss a shitty option and the good option and knowing he'll pick a good one. you're not really giving him a choice, you're just giving him the illusion of making a choice.
Old 6th January 2009, 15:48     #6519
flic
Dee Hast Mish

Quote:
Originally Posted by Redneck
So what about suicide?
Lemmings
Old 6th January 2009, 15:49     #6520
chiQ
Frag-muff

I'm under the impression that it's a bit from column A and a bit from column B.

There are the kneejerk factors, such as fitness, prominent sexual organs (lips, boobs, crotch monster, etc.), success, and personal happiness, but there are also the personal preferences, such as a readiness to laugh or make you laugh, emotional intelligence, taste in clothes, nice bum, pretty eyes, and so forth. It all plays into the set of rules that push *your* buttons. Why should instinct and free will be mutually exclusive? It's certainly not all instinctive, or goths would never breed.

Last edited by chiQ : 6th January 2009 at 15:50.