sidbo
Raptus regaliter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Spoon1
Hodor.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=kMI_HBO5FOM
Old 24th May 2016, 20:21     #6403
fixed_truth

Wtf with the full screen penis wart inspection!?!
Old 30th May 2016, 12:46     #6404
Cyberbob

Please don't try and be a replacement Clarkson. Be the first Chris Evans.
Old 30th May 2016, 13:21     #6405
Ab
A mariachi ogre snorkel

When you look back at the first season after the reboot, it looks really forced and unfunny. The show didn't find its stride until after James May arrived, and even then it took a while.
Old 20th June 2016, 20:52     #6406
pxpx

GoT S06E09

So good.
Old 20th June 2016, 22:41     #6407
fixed_truth

^fuck yeah. Epic would be an understatement.
Old 20th June 2016, 23:07     #6408
kRAdENkO

^ That battle wow.

Was pretty frustrating watching the giant just kinda hanging out. Feel like it could have done more.

Also, Jon Snows strategy was fail.
Old 21st June 2016, 08:46     #6409
pxpx

Jon Snow vs the Bolton Cavalry was awesome, really thought he was gonna bite it and it would be full GRR troll mode.
Old 21st June 2016, 10:08     #6410
Spoon1
Mmm... Sacrilicious

Wink

Quote:
Originally Posted by kRAdENkO
^ That battle wow.

Was pretty frustrating watching the giant just kinda hanging out. Feel like it could have done more.

Would you say he knows nothing... about battle planning?
Old 21st June 2016, 11:31     #6411
blynk

Haven't seen the episode yet, but I have seen these "spoiler free" headlines from the herald

GoT: Did you cheer when (spoiler) died?

Thrones star 'glad' about grisly death
A Game of Thrones star says he's glad his character is finally dead, and believes he got the send off he deserved. (Spoilers...)…

I'm sure you could guess with about 90% confidence of what they are talking about.
Old 21st June 2016, 12:15     #6412
pxpx

https://youtu.be/B93k4uhpf7g behind the scenes of the battle of the bastards
Old 21st June 2016, 13:31     #6413
leadinjector

poor giant
Old 21st June 2016, 15:21     #6414
Ab
A mariachi ogre snorkel

Quote:
Originally Posted by kRAdENkO
Couldn't fucking believe it, what a tard.

That said for a history nerd it was fun picking the references to real battles. The opening scenes seemed a replay of Agincourt with Bolton as the English, and the encirclement was a by-the-numbers copy of Cannae with Bolton as the Carthaginians. The Vale cavalry arriving from the east just in time felt familiar but I couldn't pick it... anyone?
Old 21st June 2016, 15:32     #6415
[BT]Monza

Thumbs up

Wall'o Bodies™ was ffin rad in a gruesome way
Old 21st June 2016, 17:15     #6416
pxpx

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ab
The Vale cavalry arriving from the east just in time felt familiar but I couldn't pick it... anyone?
Old 21st June 2016, 17:39     #6417
blynk

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ab
The Vale cavalry arriving from the east just in time felt familiar but I couldn't pick it... anyone?
The great NZ historical battle.
They made a good documentary on it a few years back
Old 21st June 2016, 17:53     #6418
Ab
A mariachi ogre snorkel

Quote:
Originally Posted by pxpx
lol that one did come to mind these movie/tv battle references tend to be Eurocentric as hell so the battles are generally Eurofamous (Alexander, Hannibal, Caesar, England Beats France At Something, Napoleon) and obvious.

Cavalry arriving from the flank to save the day as the main army is about to be slaughtered just looked really familiar. It looks like it should be a reference to a historical battle but I just can't think of it.
Old 21st June 2016, 22:38     #6419
Ajax
Architeuthis

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ab
Cavalry arriving from the flank to save the day as the main army is about to be slaughtered just looked really familiar. It looks like it should be a reference to a historical battle but I just can't think of it.
It somewhat brings to mind the massive cavalry charge to save Vienna in 1683. Also, von Blucher's army arriving to save Wellington at Waterloo; Alexander's cavalry collapsing the Persian centre at Gaugamela.
Old 21st June 2016, 22:45     #6420
Kryten

Lots of dumb in the decision making*, but the spectacle and final pay off made it worth it.

Maybe, just maybe, Sansa's itty-bitty smile at the conclusion has taken her off AB's "Sansa must die!" list?

*seriously, no-one thought to give Wun Wun a fucking tree to swing around? What the fuck, Jon you fucking tard.
Old 22nd June 2016, 12:16     #6421
pxpx

History redditors talk about the battle of the bastards:
https://m.reddit.com/r/AskHistorians...me_of_thrones/
Old 22nd June 2016, 13:48     #6422
blynk

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kryten
*seriously, no-one thought to give Wun Wun a fucking tree to swing around? What the fuck, Jon you fucking tard.
I thought the same thing, but surely that wasn't just Jons fault. Surely Tormund could have done that to.

Also, if you are running from someone shooting arrows at you. Wouldn't the first thing you do is to zig zag a bit.
It's like when some is running from a car, if you move to the side you would be fine. But no.
Old 22nd June 2016, 14:02     #6423
Kryten

These are some very funny (NSFW) recaps of GoT episodes, http://chrysreviews.com
Old 22nd June 2016, 15:18     #6424
Ab
A mariachi ogre snorkel

Quote:
Originally Posted by blynk
Also, if you are running from someone shooting arrows at you. Wouldn't the first thing you do is to zig zag a bit.
It's like when some is running from a car, if you move to the side you would be fine. But no.
How about turning around and facing the guy with the bow, watching where the arrow is going and if it's about to hit you, stepping to the side, then running a bit more and turning around. It's not like Bolton had a fucking railgun.
Old 22nd June 2016, 15:26     #6425
Lightspeed

Those weren't the rules. And Bolton had a whole army just sitting there, waiting to enforce his rules.
Old 22nd June 2016, 16:10     #6426
blynk

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lightspeed
Those weren't the rules. And Bolton had a whole army just sitting there, waiting to enforce his rules.
I did think that if he was too slow, someone would have just rode up and cut his head off.
Also apparantly he would have only been 8 (I can't confirm this), but either way, he would be young and living on the road/prisoner for so long probably meant he's not the sharpest tool in the shed.

Out of interest. Do we need to keep speaking in spoilers. The show has aired in NZ and its been a couple of days?
Old 23rd June 2016, 15:44     #6427
Ab
A mariachi ogre snorkel

Been on a Marvel TV binge lately, after a bit of a slow start I'm really starting to like Agents of SHIELD.
Old 23rd June 2016, 15:52     #6428
Lightspeed

AoS ebbs and flows I reckon. It's not all great, some of it's a bit overdone, but it has some really solid moments. And the various movie tie ins are fun. The last season is probably the best so far.
Old 23rd June 2016, 15:58     #6429
Ab
A mariachi ogre snorkel

I'm about halfway through S2. Coulson just gave Maria Hill the intel about von Strucker having Loki's sceptre in Sokovia, which of course is one of those "ah! so that's why that thing in the movies happened" moments.

Yeah, when it started out it felt really Torchwood to me (which meant I liked it), then during the Hydra/Winter Soldier phase I thought it got lame. Now with the Inhumans angle I'm starting to really get into it. Loved the Agent Carter flashback bits too.
Old 23rd June 2016, 16:22     #6430
CCS
Stunt Pants

I love Agent Carter's bits too.
Old 23rd June 2016, 16:25     #6431
Ab
A mariachi ogre snorkel

We all love Agent Carter's bits

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=uXb0cWBGFpc
Old 23rd June 2016, 16:42     #6432
Cyberbob

Tahiti.. It's a magical place.

I stopped watching half way through S2. Was loving the twists and the movie tie-in's, but I wanted to stab Raina in the face whenever she was on screen and charge her with Nick Cage level of overacting.

I'll pick it up again when I've finished binging on Flash/Arrow/Tomorrow
Old 23rd June 2016, 17:42     #6433
blynk

I found it the same. Some good, some bad.
Basically got to a point where it is now on the back burner waiting until I dont have other things to watch.
Old 23rd June 2016, 19:06     #6434
Spoon1
Mmm... Sacrilicious

I've watched it all and have decided to flag it from next season on.

Has travelled too far into Meh-ville.
Old 23rd June 2016, 23:12     #6435
blynk

Especially with Jessica Jones (& Daredevil). AoS definitely rates a distant 3rd of the 3
Old 24th June 2016, 19:32     #6436
Nothing

I'd be willing to agree to 3rd of the three, but surely you have to rank it higher than any of that Arrow / Flash / Supergirl / LoT claptrap. I could accept the suggestion that Gotham might be better, but only just.

Really feels like a bit of a nothing period for shows right now. Walking Dead is over, same for FtWD, Arrow, Flash, Supergirl, LoT, Elementary, AoS, Jessica Jones, Daredevil. I mean, that's not even the complete list of shows I follow, but there's just nothing on at the moment. Everything has ended. It was crazy over summer, like often 3 different shows a day to watch, at least one just about every day anyway. But nothing at all right now.
Old 25th June 2016, 00:48     #6437
Savage

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nothing
I'd be willing to agree to 3rd of the three, but surely you have to rank it higher than any of that Arrow / Flash / Supergirl / LoT claptrap. I could accept the suggestion that Gotham might be better, but only just.

Really feels like a bit of a nothing period for shows right now. Walking Dead is over, same for FtWD, Arrow, Flash, Supergirl, LoT, Elementary, AoS, Jessica Jones, Daredevil. I mean, that's not even the complete list of shows I follow, but there's just nothing on at the moment. Everything has ended. It was crazy over summer, like often 3 different shows a day to watch, at least one just about every day anyway. But nothing at all right now.
Preacher is pretty sweet if you haven't checked it out already First episode was weird but the following ones are a lot better.

http://www.imdb.com/title/tt5016504/?ref_=nv_sr_1
Old 25th June 2016, 08:25     #6438
[Malks] Pixie

Yep I have been very pleasantly surprised by Preacher. It's not the comic, but they haven't totally destroyed it (like I expected), the cast is great and it's funny in that kind of weirdly gross way.

Well worth watching.
Old 25th June 2016, 10:38     #6439
blynk

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nothing
I was never a huge fan of DC. I never watched Arrow, watched the first season of Flash and again I can't really be bothered watching anymore. Watched the first ep of Supergirl and stopped there.

Still have to watch Gotham
Old 27th June 2016, 11:27     #6440
_Incubus_

I watched the first 2 seasons of Arrow, 1 ep of The Flash and pretty much could care less about watching anything DC tv related again.