Register FAQ Calendar Mark Forums Read

Go Back   NZGames.com Forums > General > Open Discussion
User Name
Password

Old 22nd December 2008, 22:47     #6201
MadMax
Stuff

http://maps.google.co.nz/maps?f=q&hl...36278489453573

i was hoping to demonstrate what it's like to drive along a road with shadows of wind turbine blades flicking across the road but instead find a whole bunch of detail blurred out.

anyway, if you move up and down that road you can see the sun passes behind a lot of the turbines.

http://maps.google.co.nz/maps?f=q&hl...32843817560454

also notice that google earth shows a smaller street view FOV, effectively zoomed in and more pixelated than maps.google

Last edited by MadMax : 22nd December 2008 at 22:49.
Old 22nd December 2008, 23:22     #6202
crocos

Quote:
Originally Posted by CCS
WHAT IS EVERYBODY GOING TO GIVE ME FOR CHRISTMAS?
Hmm... You're a hard one to get something for, but I think I've come up with the perfect gift.

An ass raping. The 6'8" bodybuilding steroid-abusing violent gays have been dispatched and are en route.

Merry Christ-what-a-mess!

وكل يوم كنت تعيش في العبودية
Old 23rd December 2008, 00:13     #6203
CCS
Stunt Pants

Why would you give that to me? You've been saving up for just such a roleplay fantasy for yourself for years now! I can't accept this, crocos. You give yourself a treat.
Old 23rd December 2008, 00:22     #6204
caffiend

Why do garbage disposal units struggle with orange rinds and banana skins? Pretty much any other organic* waste gets minced, no problem...

Weird.

* Sorry, Whiplash.
Old 23rd December 2008, 01:20     #6205
CCS
Stunt Pants

Yes, I have noticed that also. My current theory is that the peels are light enough that they're hitting the spinning blades and getting flicked upwards and I guess there's not enough sort of sticking out edges, they don't get caught in the blades to be sucked into the works.

I may have to closely inspect the blade configuration and then perhaps do a close up study while the machine is in use. Hmmm.
Old 23rd December 2008, 01:38     #6206
CCS
Stunt Pants

Hmmm, it seems there is a flaw in my theory. There are no spinning blades as such.

Quote:
How Garbage Disposals Work
Attached to the underside of a kitchen sink’s drain, a garbage disposal works by shredding food scraps fed down the drain with the flow of water or the push of a garbage disposer accessory. When turned on the garbage disposer uses its motor to spin a turntable that pushes the particles in the unit to the outside of the chamber where is comes into contact with a grinding ring. The action of the spinning turntable forcing the particles into the grinding ring shreds the particles into small enough pieces to flow through holes in the turntable and grinding ring and into the plumbing. Dishwasher drain water can also be run through the garbage disposal so that any large particles are chewed up and drained away.
Quote:
Except for special models, most of the food waste disposers do not have any sharp blades or scissors.
Some commercial and high-end domestic disposals also have an undercutter blade that revolves below the turntable and chops the ground waste, including fibrous material which could cause a drain clog, finer. These disposals can handle fibrous waste such as artichoke leaves that cannot be successfully ground in a standard disposal.
Quote:
# Do not put fibrous or starchy items in the disposal. Both can cause particularly stubborn drain blockages (fibers get tangled, and starches get thick). The following items should be put in the disposal in minimal increments, preferably cut into small pieces, or not at all:

* banana peels
* celery
* potato peelings
* corn husk or corn cobs
* onion skins and egg shells (unless you're especially careful to completely remove the thin membranes of each, which can wrap around the shredder ring)

# Other items that are too hard, starchy or fibruous, and will jam the motor: stringy vegetables like celery, fibrous vegetables like artichokes, corn cobs or husks, coffee grounds, coffee filters, egg shells, twister seals off bread wrappers, vegetable ties, glass, screws, nails, utensils, cigarette butts, avocado seeds, fruit pits, clippings off flowers, paper, plastic, children's toys, bottle caps, washcloths, melon seeds, coins, rubber bands, hair, grease, pull tabs, string or sponges. Use common sense.
So there you go, YOUR DOING IT WRONG.

But fuck that shit, I put banana peel and egg shells in there all the time. As well as nail, avocado seeds and children's toys o_0
Old 23rd December 2008, 02:43     #6207
Mario

Quote:
Originally Posted by CCS
But fuck that shit, I put banana peel and egg shells in there all the time. As well as nail, avocado seeds and children's toys o_0
I'd suggest you avoid the egg shells. When ground up they can stick to the walls of the drainpipe and solidfy, and over time can build up to block the pipe completely requiring some pretty extensive plumbing work.
Old 23rd December 2008, 02:48     #6208
CCS
Stunt Pants

Aww... I'll try telling that to my flatmate who eats lots of eggs but he's lazy, so... yeah...
Old 23rd December 2008, 08:26     #6209
StN
I have detailed files

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mario
I'd suggest you avoid the egg shells. When ground up they can stick to the walls of the drainpipe and solidfy, and over time can build up to block the pipe completely requiring some pretty extensive plumbing work.
I knew eggs were high in cholesterol! Even the shells block the house tubes.
Old 23rd December 2008, 08:58     #6210
SpaceCowboy
Here be dragons

Quote:
Originally Posted by BloodDonor
am i looking at the wrong oil price, or is it at 23.38 ?

where did you see that? i see $33.87 at http://www.wtrg.com/daily/crudeoilprice.html
Old 23rd December 2008, 09:10     #6211
Mickey

I put egg shells in there all the time. Probably explains why we go through one every two years.
Old 23rd December 2008, 10:19     #6212
caffiend

So basically waste disposal units are utterly fucking useless.

Thanks for looking into it CCS.
Quote:
Originally Posted by CCS
I may have to closely inspect the blade configuration and then perhaps do a close up study while the machine is in use. Hmmm.
Bloody Emo.
Old 23rd December 2008, 10:21     #6213
StN
I have detailed files

Quote:
Originally Posted by caffiend
Bloody Emo.
Cause and effect.
Old 23rd December 2008, 10:22     #6214
caffiend

Waste disposLOL.
Old 23rd December 2008, 10:22     #6215
CCS
Stunt Pants

Very sad

I just meant I was going to look at it with my eyes, not my hands/wrists.
Old 23rd December 2008, 10:30     #6216
leadinjector

what do people do for dates now? i cant even remembr the last time i asked a girl out. i dont want to do movies and dinner because its too expensive and boring... maybe we should just play roofie roulette?
Old 23rd December 2008, 10:34     #6217
Whiplash
Bobo Fettish

Moonwalking classes.
Old 23rd December 2008, 10:40     #6218
xor

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mario
That's what hydrochloric acid is for~ duh
Old 23rd December 2008, 10:44     #6219
Juju
get to da choppa

My old mans wastedisposal is still going hard 8 years down the track. And we put *everything* down there, from daily banana skins to chicken carcusses, potato skins to full salads.

Never missed a beat, and only had to use the plunger once or twice.
Old 23rd December 2008, 10:46     #6220
BloodDonor

Quote:
Originally Posted by SpaceCowboy
where did you see that? i see $33.87 at http://www.wtrg.com/daily/crudeoilprice.html
http://finance.google.com/finance?client=ob&q=NYSE:OIL

http://finance.yahoo.com/q?d=t&s=OIL

Old 23rd December 2008, 10:57     #6221
StN
I have detailed files

^^ Isn't that a futures index rather than the current barrel rate?
Old 23rd December 2008, 10:58     #6222
BillHague

I'm not sure I see the point of waste disposals; If you are putting stuff down them, it's exactly the same as putting them in a bin, as when the water if filtered all the gunk ends up in a landfill anyway. The only difference is that they're a pain in the ass to use, and seem to block up more often than not.

I'd personally opt for the old compost bin.
Old 23rd December 2008, 11:03     #6223
leadinjector

really? they are totally useful. everytime i have some shit left over after making food or eating, just throw it down the sink. never had a problem with it.
Old 23rd December 2008, 11:23     #6224
CCS
Stunt Pants

Can't say I've ever had problems with my waste disposal clogging. Your one must be shit. Other than that, not at all a pain in the ass. It's, like, right in the sink next to where I'm preparing food... so... I can just toss shit in there. How hard is that? Beats the tits off going outside and composting shit like a hippy.
Old 23rd December 2008, 11:25     #6225
A Corpse
talkative lurker

Quote:
Originally Posted by BillHague
The thought of a pile of decomposing garbage in my already-too-small backyard has never appealed to me.
Old 23rd December 2008, 11:39     #6226
Yoda

Some of those units are shit though, underpowered or too small or something.

We've just got a new one, Xmas present from the olds, so nice not to have a smelly bin in the kitchen.
Old 23rd December 2008, 12:49     #6227
Rince
SLUTS!!!!!!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by BillHague

this.... x3
Old 23rd December 2008, 14:32     #6228
StN
I have detailed files

Quote:
Originally Posted by ChaosWulf
Bear Grylls gets my vote for two reasons - firstly the number of times he manages to get his shirt off, and secondly his name isn't "Angus".
Do you need a shirt in Antarctica?

Yes. Yes you do.
Old 23rd December 2008, 14:56     #6229
Redneck

Very angry

Former Nazi says being gay as bad as cutting the rainforests down

http://news.bbc.co.uk/2/hi/europe/7796663.stm

DIE RATZINGER. JUST FUCKING DIE.
Old 23rd December 2008, 15:17     #6230
CCS
Stunt Pants

Lol. Pope = no longer relevant in this day and age.
Old 23rd December 2008, 15:29     #6231
Redneck

wiki says - "Church membership in 2007 was 1.131 billion people; an increase over the 1950 figure of 437 million and the 1970 figure of 654 million. The Catholic population increase of 139% outpaced the world population increase of 117% from 1950-2000."

He could be telling them to love thy neighbour but instead he has to shake his fists at teh homax. Fucking fascist.
Old 23rd December 2008, 15:33     #6232
xor

popes perceive themselves to be a disciple of the jesus and think they can say what they want. cunts!

Tell me where in the bible it talks about purgatory~~ GO GO PAGANS I mean Catholics
Old 23rd December 2008, 15:36     #6233
chiquelet
Mrs Colin Farrell

Quote:
Originally Posted by CCS
Lol. Pope = no longer relevant in this day and age.
Just because you want it to be true doesn't mean it is.
Old 23rd December 2008, 15:41     #6234
CCS
Stunt Pants

Haha! Nah, it is true. It really is.
Old 23rd December 2008, 15:54     #6235
crocos

I'm going to have to agree with chiquelet on this one: The Pope (and those like him) is very relevant in this day & age. There's a lot of fear out there and religious leaders have always been excellent at taking advantage of this to promote their own agenda.

وكل يوم كنت تعيش في العبودية
Old 23rd December 2008, 16:05     #6236
Rince
SLUTS!!!!!!!

http://www.theregister.co.uk/2008/12/22/pope_galileo/
Old 23rd December 2008, 16:07     #6237
CCS
Stunt Pants

Quote:
Originally Posted by crocos
I'm going to have to agree with chiquelet on this one: The Pope (and those like him) is very relevant in this day & age. There's a lot of fear out there and religious leaders have always been excellent at taking advantage of this to promote their own agenda.
What, by creating fear of something else? Like, say, those gays?

Homosexuality is here to stay, no matter how much the Pope denounces it. His church is stuck in the last century.
Old 23rd December 2008, 16:18     #6238
Cyberbob

Last century?

Try again. It's barely moved in the last 500
Old 23rd December 2008, 16:19     #6239
caffiend

Popes have only ever existed to be the symbolic head of a corporation disguised as a Church. His task is to cause gullible people to gape at him in awe while they ignore the sheer absurdity of the crap he spouts and instead shower the Catholic church with money, all of which goes to create ever more repugnantly grandiose altars of greed that only increases the awe factor in the brainwashed.
Old 23rd December 2008, 16:21     #6240
CCS
Stunt Pants

Haha, well said!