NZGames.com Forums
Register FAQ Calendar Mark Forums Read

Go Back   NZGames.com Forums > Games and Mods > Gaming Forum
User Name
Password

Old 21st December 2010, 19:23     #521
Sam

WMS server is updated to beta. Not running any mods at the moment, as hMod doesn't seem to be updated yet.

Monsters are enabled, PVP is disabled (do people want PVP or PVE?).

All I'd say at this point is please don't go wandering waaaaaaay off from the spawn to keep the map size somewhat sane. Might look at adding Borderlands plugin or something once the mods get updated to support beta.
Old 21st December 2010, 20:09     #522
mpx

I'm IN!
I reckon PVE.

Sucks that the spawn still has the "no build" zone, so you can't start getting resources straight away etc... if anyone's looking, I'm up the hill gettin' mah wood.
Old 21st December 2010, 21:02     #523
mpx

Well if you head just over the hill, you should find a fortefied cave with a hole down to a few steps above the centre of the earth, halfway down is a cave with all sorts of goodies. It comes equipped with a little water oasis next to the cave too - so there you go, I've set it all up for you all :D
Old 21st December 2010, 21:40     #524
TB

It lets me connect for maybe 10seconds then kicks me off. I am capped tho, so with luck tonight when I get my speed back it may work.
Old 22nd December 2010, 00:02     #525
Sam

Quote:
Originally Posted by mpx
I'm IN!
I reckon PVE.

Sucks that the spawn still has the "no build" zone, so you can't start getting resources straight away etc... if anyone's looking, I'm up the hill gettin' mah wood.
I think the spawn 'no build' zone is 16 blocks (although from memory it might be configurable) - shouldn't be too far you have to travel anyway...
Old 22nd December 2010, 00:12     #526
Rince
SLUTS!!!!!!!

fuck - that was fun... and nerve racking
(I've been playing creative too long)

got my hidey hole going quite nicely - 3rd time lucky (2 creepers earlier ruined my front room )

but I've now got a bow, and when I find flint I'll be unstoppable!!!
Old 22nd December 2010, 00:39     #527
Sam

I'll put my server back up again once the server mods are updated for beta - I think there's probably a bit much that might break/catch fire otherwise...
Old 22nd December 2010, 14:52     #528
TB

wms is badass. We've already found several massive tunnel works, pumpkin patches and all sorts. Even fished a bit. Teaming up to deal with the bad guys is great, and going into dungeons prepared with teamwork is fantastic. Makes the game. If you've not played MC in ages, jump onto the wms server and have a run.

Some notes tho, Boats... bad idea, pictures on the walls, even worse.

Last edited by TB : 22nd December 2010 at 14:55.
Old 22nd December 2010, 17:24     #529
Rince
SLUTS!!!!!!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by TB
Boats... bad idea, pictures on the walls, even worse.
explain...
boats I understand... but pictures on walls?
Old 22nd December 2010, 19:23     #530
mpx

I think it just looks messy, and spreads out everywhere all buggy like...

We had a pretty fun time today, perused the island, did some co-op dungeon seeking, avoided creepers like the plague (seriously what the hell, they're EVERYWHERE), built plantations - it's all go! I even scored myself a diamond pickaxe.

We made a portal but it's still broken unfortunately.
Old 22nd December 2010, 20:08     #531
TB

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rince
explain...
boats I understand... but pictures on walls?
Put a picture on the wall, but as you know you remove and replace them to cycle the picutres contents. But on removal it spawned a million picture objects on the ground, but didnt remove the picture
Old 22nd December 2010, 22:56     #532
TB

MC uses a SHITLOAD of bandwidth. You have been warned, as in 5 gigs.... today.
Old 23rd December 2010, 04:30     #533
TB

Quote:
Originally Posted by TB
MC uses a SHITLOAD of bandwidth. You have been warned, as in 5 gigs.... today.
So, I was super pissed off at that 5gigs, went to sleep, woke up now my caps down 13gigs. Shits a foot son, shits a foot. Router shows 190megs has been transferred so wasnt someone leeching. Sigh, damn it vodafone.
Old 23rd December 2010, 10:50     #534
TB

So, seems a coincidence appeared to make all this. Both MC and my isp had a fault. MC used to much data, and the isp isnt registering data right anyway. sigh.

New MC server and client fixes the data issue among other things.

Last edited by TB : 23rd December 2010 at 10:55.
Old 23rd December 2010, 11:22     #535
Mojo

Yay no more duping items, that was pissing me off
Damn patches don't they know I have castles to build...
Old 23rd December 2010, 11:22     #536
crocos

Awwh TB: LOL.

Still good that it's patched.

وكل يوم كنت تعيش في العبودية

Last edited by crocos : 23rd December 2010 at 11:24.
Old 23rd December 2010, 12:01     #537
Sam

WMS server is patched to beta 1.1_02

Also - did a render of the WMS world: http://minecraft.wheresmyserver.net.nz

Last edited by Sam : 23rd December 2010 at 12:02.
Old 23rd December 2010, 12:33     #538
mpx

Haha who has the epic glass pyramid on the cliff NorthWest?
Old 24th December 2010, 19:17     #539
Mojo

That is really awesome Sam, although things are already looking quite abit different. Had fun with Zeals diving board, highly recommended.
Heard today that diamond tools don't degrade, can't wait to get some.
Old 24th December 2010, 23:13     #540
*seldom

Exclamation

Diamond tools do degrade correctly, it's just the damage bar display that is incorrect. My diamond pick disappeared unceremoniously today.
Old 25th December 2010, 00:03     #541
Sam

You could drop your tools and pick them up again and their damage will be reset, unless that's already been fixed in beta.
Old 25th December 2010, 09:44     #542
Vrtigo
Marginal Poster

what happened to the WMS server? wasnt it a continuation of the original nzgames server? i dont see any of our creations
Old 25th December 2010, 12:01     #543
mpx

WMS server is vanilla survival multiplayer now. Sam's server is the creative server.
Old 25th December 2010, 18:52     #544
Sam

And my server is offline until hMod is updated for beta.

I still have the world files for the original nzgames world, but no one was really using that server, so the general consensus was to have WMS as survival and keep mine as creative.
Old 26th December 2010, 22:06     #545
TB

MC has the worst net code, of any game Ive ever seen. Went to the WMS server for a min or so walking round, opening doors, jumping round, fighting creepers etc. 1+meg a second each way. At most a twitch fps would use 10k a second both ways by default.
Old 28th December 2010, 09:31     #546
Jodi

Quote:
Originally Posted by TB
MC has the worst net code, of any game Ive ever seen. Went to the WMS server for a min or so walking round, opening doors, jumping round, fighting creepers etc. 1+meg a second each way. At most a twitch fps would use 10k a second both ways by default.
Netcode is hard.
It's written by one guy, I don't think he was thinking too much about internet bandwidth when he lives on a 100meg link in sweden surrounded by hot ass bitches lughing about how you paid $15 for his crap :-)
Old 28th December 2010, 11:38     #547
PsyK

Finally gave the wms server some time. Managed to mine a couple of stacks of iron and redstone. Anyone got any cool ideas of what to do with minecart tracks or switches?
Old 28th December 2010, 20:07     #548
TB

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jodi
Netcode is hard.
It's written by one guy, I don't think he was thinking too much about internet bandwidth when he lives on a 100meg link in sweden surrounded by hot ass bitches lughing about how you paid $15 for his crap :-)
Seems a lot of people internationally are pissed off, mostly server admins. MC doesnt cache the map locally yet, so you dl the map data every time you see it again which means the second you move the bw spikes like crazy. The server also doesnt keep track of high traffic areas to scale the size of chunks for checking anyway which would allow for quicker checking and of course less memory use for the server. Hes got a long way to go, lets hope enough people put the pressure on.
Old 29th December 2010, 10:14     #549
Jodi

Quote:
Originally Posted by TB
Seems a lot of people internationally are pissed off, mostly server admins. MC doesnt cache the map locally yet, so you dl the map data every time you see it again which means the second you move the bw spikes like crazy. The server also doesnt keep track of high traffic areas to scale the size of chunks for checking anyway which would allow for quicker checking and of course less memory use for the server. Hes got a long way to go, lets hope enough people put the pressure on.
Yea. I suspected as much. The good news is that there is plenty of places for optimisation.
Old 29th December 2010, 11:05     #550
TB

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jodi
Yea. I suspected as much. The good news is that there is plenty of places for optimisation.
Yup

Hey Sam, can you do a new render of the WMS server? Be cool if there was a way to setup it up to do a render on a regular basis.

Last edited by TB : 29th December 2010 at 11:08.
Old 29th December 2010, 15:14     #551
Sam

Quote:
Originally Posted by TB
Yup

Hey Sam, can you do a new render of the WMS server? Be cool if there was a way to setup it up to do a render on a regular basis.
New render is running now.

I did have it going regularly as a cron job on my server, but it tended to run it out of memory and cause things to fall over, so I stopped doing it automatically. I'll look into scheduling it with cron here, WMS has a bit more grunt than my poor old machine
Old 30th December 2010, 00:09     #552
Rince
SLUTS!!!!!!!

phew... this SMP markey is nerve-racking!
I wish spiders and creepers would burst into flame in sunlight like zombies and skeletons do...

Digging a huge pit straight down (useful for a source of raw materials) and haven't yet hit any caves... finally got some iron - not a lot though, it's so depressing when you finally get some, smelt it, and then your iron pick wears down so quickly after all that hard work :/ then you see some of the other players building massive railway networks! HTF did they get so much iron!?!
Old 30th December 2010, 00:11     #553
Rince
SLUTS!!!!!!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sam
All I'd say at this point is please don't go wandering waaaaaaay off from the spawn to keep the map size somewhat sane. Might look at adding Borderlands plugin or something once the mods get updated to support beta.
you might want to check out the latest render - we got us some wandering dudes....
Old 30th December 2010, 01:37     #554
TB

Quote:
phew... this SMP markey is nerve-racking!
I wish spiders and creepers would burst into flame in sunlight like zombies and skeletons do...

Digging a huge pit straight down (useful for a source of raw materials) and haven't yet hit any caves... finally got some iron - not a lot though, it's so depressing when you finally get some, smelt it, and then your iron pick wears down so quickly after all that hard work :/ then you see some of the other players building massive railway networks! HTF did they get so much iron!?!
Becuase they dont waste iron on picks. You make a single iron pick for mining red stone/diamond etc, then use rock for rest.
Old 30th December 2010, 10:15     #555
Mojo

Quote:
you might want to check out the latest render - we got us some wandering dudes....
Wrath had some issues with his compass, got lost, from what he told me, two days walking. :/
Old 30th December 2010, 15:45     #556
Sam

minecraft.sam.net.nz is back up and running again, if you're feeling more creative than survivalist
Old 30th December 2010, 18:14     #557
Rince
SLUTS!!!!!!!

noticed if you 'splode a creeper (in water, I think) you get a couple of sulphur - any ideas what it is going to be for?
Old 30th December 2010, 18:19     #558
mpx

I think it's just gunpowder renamed, so it's for TNT etc
Old 30th December 2010, 18:27     #559
Rince
SLUTS!!!!!!!

Quote:
noticed if you 'splode a creeper (in water, I think) you get a couple of sulphur - any ideas what it is going to be for?
MC wiki says:
Quote:
Drops
Beta:

0-3 units of Sulphur
1 Music Disc (when killed by a skeleton)
so, it's not the creeper exploding, it was me exploding 1 creeper and that in turn killed another one.

and the wiki then says sulphur is the new name for gunpowder - therefore is used to make TNT.

edit: way too slow - chur, mpx

Last edited by Rince : 30th December 2010 at 18:29.
Old 31st December 2010, 12:04     #560
crocos

Hey Sam! Any chance I could get the /give command enabled on my acct? Username is (predictably): crocos

This would be for the sam.net server, chur!

وكل يوم كنت تعيش في العبودية