NZGames.com Forums
Register FAQ Calendar Mark Forums Read

Go Back   NZGames.com Forums > General > Technology & Troubleshooting
User Name
Password

Old 8th July 2008, 17:15     #441
wugambino
Electric Boogaloo

my contact expires next month and I was going to get an iphone, now I will be pointing and laughing at anyone I see with one of these around town.

seriously, how out of touch are vodafone
Old 8th July 2008, 17:29     #442
Akane

Quote:
Originally Posted by crocos
$250/month for:
1GB data
600 txt
600 voice minutes

That a fuckload of time spent talking on the phone!
Overseas people actually talk on a cellphone as well, how NZ teens became a texting culture? I'd blame vodafone for that for their friggin expensive calling rates.
Old 8th July 2008, 17:33     #443
nostrom0

Optus iPhone plans

http://www.smh.com.au/news/biztech/o...950923479.html
Old 8th July 2008, 17:40     #444
Saladin
Nothing to See Here!

The benefits of having real competition
Old 8th July 2008, 17:41     #445
mr selfdestruct
The Deliverator

Quote:
Originally Posted by gandalf
Ballocks. My wife does that in a week.
Your wife talks on her cell phone for 10 hours a week? Does she ever talk to you?

That is mental. I have never used up my 60 any time minutes YET. I never plan on having 'big catch up' conversations on my mobile though, that's just stupid. With my wife on BestMate I clock up about 30 - 40 minutes a month free ringing her.
Old 8th July 2008, 17:46     #446
nostrom0

Quote:
Originally Posted by Saladin
The benefits of having real competition
True that, be interesting to see Vodafone AU prices when they are released.

Last edited by nostrom0 : 8th July 2008 at 17:47.
Old 8th July 2008, 17:51     #447
chris

I'm on Talk 250, I also have one best mate & the txt 2000 deal.
My bill is always $130-$140 a month.

So for people like me, the iPhone 500 plan:
250 mins
600 txt
500 Mb

For the same that I'm paying now, that does not seem so crazy to me.
Maybe it is compared to the rest of the world but I don't care, I don't choose to live in the rest of the world.

So I get less txts?
Last month I sent 190.
Plus I get 500mb of data that I didn't get before.

I just don't get why everyone is going so insane. It seems pretty normal to me.

Oh well, to each his own.
Old 8th July 2008, 17:54     #448
mr selfdestruct
The Deliverator

Dude why don't you do the 600 any network text thing instead of the 2000 vodafone texts then? Your plan probably wouldn't cost you extra the base ever then?

How do you need 250 anytime minutes a month outside of your BestMate???
Old 8th July 2008, 18:24     #449
s0nic

because some people have more than one 'best mate'?
Old 8th July 2008, 19:07     #450
Haydos

How can conditions be so fucking different from Aus to NZ for the same phone?

$80 bucks, 700mb data, a good number of calls.

Vodafone screwed the pooch.
Old 8th July 2008, 19:42     #451
Dusty

I'd like to appoint a Government body that has to oversee all company's intended pricing for products and services in NZ.
Just so I can say such things like:

"Playstation 3, $1200? Nice try, Sony, but no"

"$200 for a T shirt? Not on my watch Barkers..."

"iPhone and $250 1GB Data plans? Fuck off and come back when you're being serious Vodafone"

I can but dream...
Old 8th July 2008, 19:45     #452
chris

Quote:
Originally Posted by mr selfdestruct
Dude why don't you do the 600 any network text thing instead of the 2000 vodafone texts then? Your plan probably wouldn't cost you extra the base ever then?

How do you need 250 anytime minutes a month outside of your BestMate???

I didn't know there was such a thing as a 600 txt deal.
Must look into that!

I use it for work, that's why I use such a high number of minutes.
Work pays for my whole bill currently (even though the best mate & txts are for personal use) and I don't think they would have any objections to paying the Iphone plan (which ends up costing the same) so long as they don't have to pay any change over fees etc.

And for me, paying ~$600 so my 8G iPod Touch turns into a 16G iPod touch with a built in phone sounds much better than the fork in the eye most people seem to be making this out to be.

I don't see how I'm seemingly to be the only one in this situation, surely there are loads of people with similar circumstances.
Old 8th July 2008, 19:47     #453
Dusty

John Campbell has Voda in his studio about the wacko pricing....news at 7.
Old 8th July 2008, 19:55     #454
fobski

this should prove... fucking lol

COME ON CAMPBELL GET IN TERE
Old 8th July 2008, 19:57     #455
crocos

Someone cap it?

وكل يوم كنت تعيش في العبودية
Old 8th July 2008, 20:07     #456
A Corpse
talkative lurker

Lol the Vodafone rep seriously just implied that enthousiasts using the top plan would use the iphone as their sole method of accessing the internet...

On 1gb per month.

Tui ad anyone?
Old 8th July 2008, 20:22     #457
Painty

it was their marketing manager. He didnt come across well. Every time JC infered they were gouging us compared to other countries... he started spouting the same crap over and over again.

twat (though not as big a twat as the fat geek who whinged but then said he would still get it)
Old 8th July 2008, 21:14     #458
uTired2
wOOp wOOp!

Just wait until November/December once Telecoms new network comes out. Hopefully Telecom will be offering the iPhone as well and then we'll actually have a bit of competition, and some decent pricing.

I really really want one, but I can wait until Christmas
Old 8th July 2008, 21:23     #459
BadNova

anyone get a youtube of cambo?
Old 8th July 2008, 21:39     #460
Whiplash
Bobo Fettish

Well at least the plans aren't as bad as in Mexico...

http://www.appleinsider.com/articles...in_mexico.html

....... They're close but not as bad. GG Vodafone NZ.

Last edited by Whiplash : 8th July 2008 at 21:40.
Old 8th July 2008, 21:45     #461
Spidey

Quote:
Originally Posted by BadNova
anyone get a youtube of cambo?

http://www.3news.co.nz/Video/Campbel...ult.aspx#video
Old 8th July 2008, 21:47     #462
Whiplash
Bobo Fettish

From a mac forum...

Quote:
In this test, I'm focusing on the data use from normal web browsing.

I only ran the test on randomly-choosen *subpages* of the websites AKA NOT THE LONG AND GRAPHIC HEAVY FRONT PAGES, and the chosen sub-pages usually consisted of an article page or forum page, and most had zero flash elements. Just look at how large the average page size is for these popular websites I go to:

engadget.com (blog post subpage) 420KB
yahoo.com (news article subpage) 585KB
nytimes.com (news article subpage) 345KB
seedmagazine.com (article subpage) 223KB
discovermagazine.com (article subpage) 731KB
livescience.com (article subpage) 438KB
tgdaily.com (article subpage) 253KB
technologyreview.com (article subpage) 247KB
macrumors.com (forum page) 217KB
tmz.com (blog post subpage) 433KB

Average sub-page data size: 389KB/page.

So, using an iPhone with different 3G browsing limits, you can view:

100MB /30 = 3.3 MB per day = 8 web page views per day
250MB /30 = 8.3 MB per day = 21 web page views per day
300MB /30 = 10 MB per day = 25 web page views per day
600MB /30 = 20 MB per day = 51 web page views per day
1.0 GB /30 = 33.3 MB per day = 85 web page views per day
5.0 GB /30 = 166.7 MB per day = 428 web page views per day

Think of how fast you can zip through different webpages with a 3G phone getting 600-1200 kbps. You could easily view the 21 pages per day of the 250MB/month data plan in 10 minutes!

And remember, this doesn't even include all the other things people will be doing that use data:

* Google Maps (especially now with GPS!) - Very easy to use many MBs in one quick session of scrolling around a map. Have a route-following GPS navigation for 15 minutes could easily use 25MB.
* Sending and Receiving Email and attachments - Remember, No MMS for pictures! Other office-type and PDF documents will be sent around as well.
* Uploading Photos - Flickr, MobileMe etc.
* Online Chat via AIM/MSN/SKYPE
* Viewing Youtube, MMS-type video, and other online video - video can quickly use A LOT of bandwidth. 3-7 seconds per MB.
* Downloading applications and games
* Online multiplayer gaming
* Internet radio streaming
* Downloading music and video

Not to even mention all the native applications that will require internet access and server access to function....

I hope that many of these countries are able to get a better allotment of data usage on their plans in the future. I'm sure all the telecom companies just aren't used to hardly any data being used on their networks so they've kept prices high. Hopefully that will change with the iPhone and they'll realize how popular data usage will be and lower the rates as the volume of users using data increases.
Old 8th July 2008, 22:01     #463
BaM
Freeloader

Quote:
Originally Posted by Whiplash
From a mac forum...
Google Maps (especially now with GPS!) - Very easy to use many MBs in one quick session of scrolling around a map. Have a route-following GPS navigation for 15 minutes could easily use 25MB.
What? My last Google-Maps-with-GPS session used about 600kb in 20 mins.

Maybe if you have the map zoomed in to footpath level you could get through a bit more data, but then you wouldn't be able to see where you're going anyway.
Old 8th July 2008, 22:02     #464
gandalf

Quote:
Well at least the plans aren't as bad as in Mexico...

http://www.appleinsider.com/articles...in_mexico.html

....... They're close but not as bad. GG Vodafone NZ.
BUT, despite less data/txt's (more minutes) the entry level plan in Mexico (both phone and data) is still cheaper than here.

That's a smarter business move IMO - get users excited, tempted and onboard for cheap, watch them blow through paltry data caps on 3G and encourage (force) 'em to upgrade to more data. Vodafone here just doesn't get it. These plans are priced too high for those sitting on the fence - if I was um'ing and ah'ing about buying an iphone, these plans most certainly turn me away. Dumb move Vodafone. They'd probably make more money by halving all the announced data prices and doubling the data caps as this would entice more people to buy.

Last edited by gandalf : 8th July 2008 at 22:04.
Old 8th July 2008, 22:14     #465
Whiplash
Bobo Fettish

Quote:
Originally Posted by BaM
What? My last Google-Maps-with-GPS session used about 600kb in 20 mins.

Maybe if you have the map zoomed in to footpath level you could get through a bit more data, but then you wouldn't be able to see where you're going anyway.

600kb on street view? ;-)

I'm assuming he's talking about using Google Maps as if one has access to the actual internet ... so y'know, satellite pictures with hotspots marked out, sightseeing bits here 'n there, holiday photos...

Regardless of that particular figure, the plans aren't going to encourage people to use the iphone for what it was meant for. They'll just use it as a normal, overpriced, phone :-/

Last edited by Whiplash : 8th July 2008 at 22:15.
Old 8th July 2008, 22:21     #466
Phantom
May contain nuts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Spidey
What's this $50 plan he keeps going on about?
Old 8th July 2008, 22:29     #467
Rince
SLUTS!!!!!!!

JC's researcher know more about the mobile market than VF's marketing manager

[img]cell-ownage.jpg[img]
Old 8th July 2008, 22:37     #468
BadNova

that's just fuckin embarrassing
Old 8th July 2008, 22:51     #469
BaM
Freeloader

Quote:
600kb on street view? ;-)

I'm assuming he's talking about using Google Maps as if one has access to the actual internet ... so y'know, satellite pictures with hotspots marked out, sightseeing bits here 'n there, holiday photos...
The example said GPS navigation so you wouldn't be using street view for that -- anything other than vanilla map view is extremely distracting. I'd probably doubt some of the other data size claims on that list as well.

Having said that, the new data plans are indeed crap.
Old 8th July 2008, 23:00     #470
zeekiorage

Are there really people queuing up on Queen st for the iPhone like the VF guy said? I would like to go there and take a picture of them.
Old 8th July 2008, 23:41     #471
Phantom
May contain nuts

Quote:
Originally Posted by zeekiorage
Are there really people queuing up on Queen st for the iPhone like the VF guy said? I would like to go there and take a picture of them.
Yep - tents and all. Just saw 'em on nightline heh
Old 8th July 2008, 23:46     #472
Akane

That VF marketing guy just need to say "FUCK JC you're right our plans are FUCKING BULLSHIT, I need to eat a cock and then go back to VF pricing management and slap them around with a cold fish"

And are there really people queueing up in Queen Street? What a bunch of fags.
Old 8th July 2008, 23:46     #473
Dusty

Quote:
Originally Posted by zeekiorage
I would use it as a quick money making scheme.
Go up at anyone of these guys in line, tell them you have this wonderful device. It's long and slender, so you can hold it between two fingers. I contains ink. At one end of the device is a nib with a tiny little ball which causes the ink to release smoothly onto a piece of paper. This device can create anything your imagination desires, provided it's on a piece of appropriate paper.
Cost? $100 each. Bargain. They'd lap it up.
Old 9th July 2008, 00:27     #474
Charismo'

I think those prices are just a rip.

Unfortunately that Vodafone guy managed to keep hammering his pricing model out as though he was using JC as free advertising. Grr.

I have always hated Vodafone's data model - casual pre-pay use (I came to NZ for a visit and just wanted to check my mail quickly) was extortionate.

One thing is true, is that it's expensive for anyone to bring data to and from the country. But users that want to use local data have to pay the same rate, which is quite unfair. And I'm sure that the aggregate of mobile data usage is not very high and so it should be technically feasible to separate international and national billing.

*grumble*.
Old 9th July 2008, 01:01     #475
nostrom0

Laugh

Quote:
Originally Posted by Spidey
What a fucking tool...
Old 9th July 2008, 01:04     #476
Spidey

How do you become the CEO of Marketing with absolutely no product knowledge is what I want to know. I mean seriously where do Vodafone hire these people.
Old 9th July 2008, 01:57     #477
Ab
A mariachi ogre snorkel

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rince
JC's researcher know more about the mobile market than VF's marketing manager
Seriously Rincey, you're surprised?
Old 9th July 2008, 02:26     #478
fidgit
Always itchy

Ha! Well I'm certainly looking forward to seeing what Nokia and RIM have available in the way of Smarter phones/Mobile Internet Access Points in a year when my contract phone-refresh comes up. Maybe Vodafone will have gotten a clue by then...

I can't remember if I've bought it up already, but someone I work with that used to work at Bond'n'Bond pointed out, after they got to play with a 1st gen IPhone, that it's shit for texting. The lack of tactile feedback from the touch screen is a deal breaker. In the US, where the iPhone has been a big hit, they're apparently only now discovering texting to the extent that everyone here uses it, so this hasn't put the brakes on. But here, every second person texts (probably more actually. I hope that question's in the next census...) this is going to put a lot of people off when they get to actually touch one.
Old 9th July 2008, 06:34     #479
PhX

Quote:
Originally Posted by fidgit
I can't remember if I've bought it up already, but someone I work with that used to work at Bond'n'Bond pointed out, after they got to play with a 1st gen IPhone, that it's shit for texting. The lack of tactile feedback from the touch screen is a deal breaker. In the US, where the iPhone has been a big hit, they're apparently only now discovering texting to the extent that everyone here uses it, so this hasn't put the brakes on. But here, every second person texts (probably more actually. I hope that question's in the next census...) this is going to put a lot of people off when they get to actually touch one.
I txt on mine all the time and would defiantly hands down say it is about 25% faster then on a normal 12 digit keypad. I will though fully admit that it takes 100% concentration to do so, and one handed is almost non existent. It would be nice if you could put it into landscape for txting but yeah I agree with you fidgit that Americans are only interested in talking.
Old 9th July 2008, 07:04     #480
wugambino
Electric Boogaloo

cant beat a blackberry for txt