Register FAQ Calendar Mark Forums Read

Go Back   NZGames.com Forums > General > Open Discussion > Politics
User Name
Password

Old 14th August 2015, 09:58     #4361
ZoSo

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nothing
Right, because what happened to Campbell Live certainly couldn't be an example of what I'm talking about.
http://www.throng.co.nz/2015/08/rati...-boost-at-7pm/

Quote:
The second night of Story has once again delivered for TV3 with an increase in the average audience that Mediaworks had been enduring to 249,260 viewers. This is more that 100,000 viewers than Come Dine With Me had been getting and approximately 60,000 more than the average that Campbell Live had been getting before the review.
Private company looking to boost ratings = job well done, so far?
Old 14th August 2015, 13:05     #4362
Ab
A mariachi ogre snorkel

Sometimes I doubt your commitment to conspiracy theory motion.
Old 14th August 2015, 14:34     #4363
Lightspeed

You don't need a conspiracy, only an alignment of values.

Conspiracy talk is a way of deflecting away and undermining people's concern about these values as they become apparent.

Last edited by Lightspeed : 14th August 2015 at 14:35.
Old 14th August 2015, 15:19     #4364
Lightspeed

Quote:
Originally Posted by pxpx
I like this post, first point is bang on.

I still don't think you can assert that a significant portion of politicians of any side have a certain motivation or intent. That would require the ability to read minds.
Thanks.

My assertion is based on the understanding that most people's values are largely coherent, even if we all have contradictions and make compromises. At least amongst those who are successful in their endeavours, given the problems that emerge from juggling inconsistencies.

So it would be coherent for those that value power for the powerful to exploit our vulnerability for the sake of that power. And that those who would protect vulnerability being less willing to exploit vulnerability, with conflict emerging when those values are compromised.

Protecting vulnerability is still a path to power, I'm not making a case of evil power grabbers vs saintly protectors. In fact I would argue it's ultimately what makes mammals so successful, the willingness to protect our young and each other, even at cost to ourselves.
Old 14th August 2015, 15:21     #4365
pxpx

Who's talking about mammals?
Old 14th August 2015, 15:23     #4366
Lightspeed

Well this is why the lizard people have to hide in the shadows. They assume everyone else is out to get them, like they're out to get everyone else.
Old 14th August 2015, 16:12     #4367
ZoSo

http://m.nzherald.co.nz/business/new...ectid=11496030

Umm, what's the problem? 12th Aug, Herald posts mood of the boardroom info, katie bradford of zb interprets it 13th aug, gets corrected 13th aug, left packs another sad when they learn how to refresh an online article?
Am I missing something?
Old 16th August 2015, 09:26     #4368
pxpx

Wasnt the first paragraph negative in the first edit then positive after the edit?
Old 19th August 2015, 15:39     #4369
Lightspeed

It will be interesting to see how these investigations pan out:

Auditor-General to investigate Saudi deal.

Chief Ombudsman to investigate communication between John Key and Rachel Glucina (NZ Herald journalist re: ponytail saga.)
Old 19th August 2015, 16:22     #4370
fixed_truth

PM accused of breaking election promise

Quote:
In a speech during the National Party's campaign launch in 2011, Mr Key said assets bought out of the fund would be "long-lived, here in New Zealand, and owned by the Crown on behalf of all taxpayers".
Quote:
Mr Key replied that the contribution "is an asset, held on the New Zealand balance sheet, that is at home".
lol
Old 19th August 2015, 20:01     #4371
Ab
A mariachi ogre snorkel

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ab
Legislation that makes it a criminal act to offend someone. Is that the sort of thing that's normally acceptable to the centre-right of politics? That's nanny state leftie shit.
well that didn't take long

http://www.critic.co.nz/news/article...arming-the-mps
Old 20th August 2015, 10:13     #4372
Jodi

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ab
But, but, that wasn't the intention of the law.
Old 20th August 2015, 12:59     #4373
Ab
A mariachi ogre snorkel

Who could possibly have foreseen, won't someone think of the children, if you have nothing to hide you have nothing to fear, etc etc
Old 20th August 2015, 15:25     #4374
Spoon1
Mmm... Sacrilicious

facepalm

She'll be right, mate! Just needs some no. 8 wire.
Old 20th August 2015, 19:54     #4375
Ab
A mariachi ogre snorkel

New pollage, Roy Morgan:

Quote:
During August support for National jumped 7.5% to 50.5% now well ahead of a potential Labour/Greens alliance 38% (down 7%) according to the latest Roy Morgan New Zealand Poll. Support for the major parties in August has returned to close to the levels of support in June. National 50.5% cf. 49.5% (in June) and Labour/ Greens 38% cf. 39% (in June) after a poor result for the Key Government in July caused by rising worries about Economic issues – including the steep fall in the price of milk powder and as the New Zealand Dollar plunged to six year lows in early July.

If a NZ Election were held now the latest New Zealand Roy Morgan Poll shows that the National Party would easily be returned to power.

Support for the National partners was unchanged with the Maori Party 1.5% (unchanged), Act NZ 0.5% (unchanged) and United Future 0% (unchanged).

Of the three Parliamentary Opposition parties - Labour’s support is now at 27% (down 5%), Greens 11% (down 2%) although support for NZ First increased to 8% (up 1%). Of the parties outside Parliament the Internet-Mana Party alliance is at 0.5% (up 0.5%), the Conservative Party of NZ is 0% (down 1.5%) and support for Independent/ Others is 1% (down 0.5%).
Old 20th August 2015, 20:57     #4376
ZoSo

Rogue.

Was thinking it would be kind of amusing if after the numerous fails of the left to try and demonize key/national, it was actually online GST kicking in that sinks them.

If not, we always have Little's next set of policies to have a laugh at.
Old 20th August 2015, 21:02     #4377
CCS
Stunt Pants

Life is tough in the polls. One month you're dominating the opposition seats, the next month... well, the next month you're still in the opposition seats.
Old 20th August 2015, 21:09     #4378
CCS
Stunt Pants

Also, Internet-Mana polling better than Conservatives. A-lol. The most suprising thing about that is that there are still some people who would vote for Internet-Mana.
Old 20th August 2015, 21:43     #4379
fixed_truth

Old 21st August 2015, 09:16     #4380
fixed_truth

Pregnant women among rising number of homeless in NZ cities
Old 21st August 2015, 11:06     #4381
pxpx

Did you read the article or just the headline?
Old 21st August 2015, 12:00     #4382
fixed_truth

Is there something in the article that you would like me to explain to you?
Old 21st August 2015, 12:02     #4383
pxpx

Yeah this part plz:
Quote:
An Auckland Council report released in 2014 showed there were about 15,000 "severely housing deprived" people in Auckland, but there are no official figures recording the number of pregnant women in the group.
Old 21st August 2015, 12:24     #4384
CCS
Stunt Pants

I'm not even sure why you've linked the article in this thread. Maybe you think National ia to blame for everything?
Old 21st August 2015, 15:51     #4385
fixed_truth

@pxpx the workers and volunteers at the coalface are reporting that pregnant women are among the rising number of homeless in Auckland.

@CCS I do not think that National are to blame for everything. I do think that the way funding is prioritised (as well as policy or lack there of) does impact on how people live.
Old 21st August 2015, 17:14     #4386
CCS
Stunt Pants

So you're saying it's National's fault.
Old 21st August 2015, 17:17     #4387
Lightspeed

Laugh

lolz

> So National is to blame for everything?

> Not everything, but this.

> So you think National is to blame?

lolololz
Old 26th August 2015, 08:55     #4388
fixed_truth

Labour's support recovers to 30s
Quote:
Despite the Government's bad month, Labour's gain has almost certainly been at the expense of other Opposition parties, not National which is on 50.8 per cent and could govern alone if the poll were converted to seats.

The number of people who think the Government is moving in the right direction has decreased from 55.3 per cent in April to 50.9 per cent now, and those who think it is not moving in the right direction has risen from 36 per cent to 40.9 per cent.

The poll was completed before the extreme volatility in global share markets, which usually has an unsettling effect on confidence levels.

Prime Minister John Key remains preferred Prime Minister by a country mile, at 63.7 per cent.
Old 26th August 2015, 10:01     #4389
ZoSo

Was going to post something about CEO's being interested in the lightweight who can't win Auckland and how suddenly she hits 3.9% but with that pos communications act, it's probably better not to.

Reckon Robinson could stop himself from stabbing her in the back too though?
Old 7th September 2015, 09:49     #4390
fixed_truth

A tale of two Governments
Bryce Edwards gives a very comprehensive and balanced overview of Nationals situation.
Old 23rd September 2015, 10:16     #4391
pxpx

Third term-itis with this panda thing at the moment.
Old 23rd September 2015, 11:31     #4392
ZoSo

Quote:
Or, perhaps 3rd year-itis of Celia & co? http://wellington.govt.nz/

http://www.stuff.co.nz/business/7221...r-giant-pandas

Quote:
Giant pandas are back on the wishlist for Wellington Zoo, despite a bill of about $10 million to create a home for them.

It could cost a further $1.3m every year to lease a pair of the animals from China – but the money could be recovered if they increased visitor numbers the way they have done overseas.

Deputy Mayor Justin Lester said on Friday that Wellington City Council was looking at spending tens of thousands of dollars investigating a business case to house pandas in the capital.

The city council began talks with the Government in 2011 about bringing pandas to Wellington, and at the time was in a four-way race with Auckland, Hamilton and Christchurch zoos.
Although key is a mug to pick it up again and run with it. Considering once again, he'll take the blame.
Old 23rd September 2015, 11:45     #4393
CCS
Stunt Pants

Quote:
Panda hater.
Old 24th September 2015, 14:23     #4394
Lightspeed

Fucking National. The impact of their focus on cost cutting and indifference to anything else will impact NZ for generations:
Review scathing of CYF system

National of course are spinning this as a problem with the system, like they haven't been in power for nearly two and a half terms to address any such problems.

And of course, they will acknowledge no connection between the degrading of community services that would help people seeking to sort their shit out and levels of child neglect and abuse.
Old 24th September 2015, 14:53     #4395
pxpx

Good thing it's being reviewed then eh
Old 24th September 2015, 14:59     #4396
Lightspeed

It would be if I believed the review wasn't being approached with cynicism. And by contrast it's tragic that the review is coming after all the funding cuts and freezes that have gone on.

National's approach appears to be "Well, we want this money for our things, so lets take it from these people that can't complain. After a few years of this, we'll see what the outcome is."
Old 24th September 2015, 20:53     #4397
crocos

TBH, NZ has been shit on the child abuse stats for at least a couple of decades now - it's not ALL National (although I acknowledge that their fucked up approaches to things like this haven't helped even one iota).

وكل يوم كنت تعيش في العبودية
Old 14th October 2015, 17:05     #4398
Lightspeed

National aren't even bothering to pretend that they're not cunts any more:
Cancer sufferers compelled to seek work

Quote:
She said if cancer patients were given special consideration, other people would want those considerations as well.
Old 14th October 2015, 17:50     #4399
blynk

Hey, at least they got a surplus.
Old 14th October 2015, 19:13     #4400
fixed_truth

Quote:
She said if cancer patients were given special consideration, other people would want those considerations as well.
That's true . . . so how about making the system more uncomplicated for ALL people too ill to work?