Register FAQ Calendar Mark Forums Read

Go Back   NZGames.com Forums > General > Open Discussion > Politics
User Name
Password

Old 3rd May 2018, 16:44     #4321
Lightspeed

Quote:
Originally Posted by CCS
I don't believe that anyone has said there were no sewage leaks at all. But some of the sewage leaks reported have been exaggerated.
Yeah, but we can see what got you more excited.
Old 3rd May 2018, 16:50     #4322
fixed_truth

I'm interested in why the board made the decision to bury the 2010 report. It certainly appears that they were advised they wouldn't be receiving govt. funds to carry out the maintenance.
Old 3rd May 2018, 17:31     #4323
CCS
Stunt Pants

Quote:
Originally Posted by fixed_truth
I'm interested in why the board made the decision to bury the 2010 report. It certainly appears that they were advised they wouldn't be receiving govt. funds to carry out the maintenance.

I don't know but I'm sure it must be National's fault.
Old 3rd May 2018, 17:38     #4324
Lightspeed

No way, it was clearly the fault of the cowardly board, wanting to keep their jobs rather than expose harsh reality. Which it appears to be the options they had to choose from.
Old 3rd May 2018, 17:52     #4325
fixed_truth

Quote:
Originally Posted by CCS
I don't know but I'm sure it must be National's fault.
Well fault is not normally binary. But yes, if not enough funding was made available then that would be a big contributing factor. Especially considering problems are not limited to just one DHB.
Old 3rd May 2018, 18:19     #4326
Ab
A mariachi ogre snorkel

Well, did the DHB have budget unspent at the end of the financial year(s) in question?
Old 3rd May 2018, 19:50     #4327
Lightspeed

Wink

Are you asking if the DHB was operating a surplus?
Old 3rd May 2018, 21:12     #4328
Nich

Nazi Pug comedian sentenced to pay a UKP 800 fine.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5VDfcrDHvzE

His response is to repeal the fine, run a gofundme campaign, and fight to ensure freedom of speech is protected.
Old 3rd May 2018, 22:57     #4329
Lightspeed

Ministry told cash-strapped DHB what to tell ministers
Old 4th May 2018, 08:16     #4330
fixed_truth

THat's outrageous. National really are like a dodgy car salesman. Shame on anyone who fell for their surplus smoke and mirrors.

Here's some more mess that Labour have to clean up because of National's systematic under-funding and concealment of problems.

Education Minister says there's a $1.1b problem facing schools nationally
Old 4th May 2018, 10:03     #4331
Ab
A mariachi ogre snorkel

Quote:
THat's outrageous. [/url]
Old 4th May 2018, 16:14     #4332
Lightspeed

And this is what is obvious and easy to point to. But this effort to muzzle those who might speak out about the dire conditions New Zealanders are being subjected to has occurred across the board.

Sure, I can't prove that National handed over any number of contracts like that held by the Problem Gambling Foundation or various budgeting services because National wanted these services run by people friendly to them (and to send a message to others services who might speak out), but given what we know, why would anyone be so generous in guessing National's motivations?

None of us really know how bad it is because National has worked hard to make sure we can't know. Evidence based policy where there is no evidence is "do what the fuck we want" policy.

And it's clearly effective, National got more votes than any other party.
Old 13th May 2018, 16:23     #4333
xor

Saw golden kumara for sale in Coles for $3 AUD per kg. It's $9 NZD per kg @ New World. Yeeeeeeeeeeeeeeep.
Old 17th May 2018, 14:57     #4334
Lightspeed

Rich people are such pathetic whiners:

Mark Richardson announces tenants' rent increase on live TV
Old 17th May 2018, 23:49     #4335
fixed_truth

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lightspeed
BUDGET 2018: Labour to pass increased cost of health onto Mark Richardson
Old 27th May 2018, 00:53     #4336
Lightspeed

Former CIA analyst says New Zealand should be kicked out of Five Eyes alliance

Quote:
A United States Congress hearing has been told New Zealand politicians are receiving "major" donations from China, with one former CIA analyst suggesting we be kicked out of the Five Eyes alliance.
Old 28th May 2018, 09:10     #4337
fixed_truth

Preferred prime minister

Jacinda Ardern 40.2%
Simon Bridges 9%
Winston Peters 4.6%
Judith Collins 3.7%

Party Vote

National 45.1% (+0.6)
Labour 42.6% (+0.3)
Green 5.7% (-0.3)
NZ First 2.4% (-1.2)

National will be happy they're steady on 45 but concerned that it looks like they'll need Greens to dip under 5 for them to get back in power. Also Bridges is polling same or worse than Labours middle aged white guys did against Key. I think a move to Collins would be terrible but who knows politics can be crazy.

https://www.nzherald.co.nz/nz/news/a...ectid=12059756
Old 28th May 2018, 11:42     #4338
pxpx

If Collins starts trying to push a softer brand in the next few months then we'll know what's up.

Such a large disconnect between party and leader polling is bound to motivate those with leadership ambitions.
Old 28th May 2018, 19:20     #4339
Lightspeed

Govt announces panel to review welfare system

Hopefully something will come from this.
Old 28th May 2018, 20:52     #4340
fixed_truth

Hopefully. People on benefits shouldn't have to struggle to survive.

Quote:
"It will deliver advice to the Government on ways to ensure people have an adequate income and standard of living, are treated with respect, can live in dignity, and are able to participate meaningfully in their communities."
Old 28th May 2018, 21:03     #4341
fixed_truth

Simon Bridges opposed to taking abortion out of the Crimes Act
Working that conservative christian vote.

Last edited by fixed_truth : 28th May 2018 at 21:04.
Old 28th May 2018, 21:03     #4342
Lightspeed

Quote:
Hopefully. People on benefits shouldn't have to struggle to survive.
I'm really hoping child welfare is a strong focus. I get that the consequences of failing our children occur well outside the election cycle, but most of us plan to live in New Zealand far beyond the next 3-6 years.
Old 28th May 2018, 22:30     #4343
Ab
A mariachi ogre snorkel

Very angry

Quote:
Simon Bridges opposed to taking abortion out of the Crimes Act
Working that conservative christian vote.
Ffs
Old 29th May 2018, 16:07     #4344
Lightspeed

More evidence that the families of NZ are doing just great:
Judges pulled from criminal cases to work Family Court backlog

Yay strong economy!
Old 29th May 2018, 23:02     #4345
Nich

The internet recently sparked with the sudden arrest, trial, and jailing of Tommy Robinson. I didn't know who this guy was, so I did some searching...

Douglas Murray provides a concise summary of the situation:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=gofvIQ6f4tE

This sort of story fills me with dread and sadness. I want to know the details because I think it's important... but this story is truly horrific. I can't read on... all of it makes me sick.

Essentially Tommy Robinson has been arrested and jailed for reporting on the muslim rape gangs of Britain, and the injustice of the industrial-scale grooming, torture, and rape of British women. The police didn't do their job in stopping these crimes because they thought it would make them look a bit racist and xenophobic.

It touches on so many things that are just not discussed properly:
- Immigration and integration of large communities
- Vastly different belief systems that may simply not be compatible
- Political correctness (politeness) sometimes has very violent consequences
- Ineffective government
- Oppressive government silencing popular dissent to maintain a narrative
- Ineffective police
- Rapists who feel no remorse because divine blessing means infidels may be sexually exploited as one sees fit

Some commenters are presuming Tommy may die in jail if he's in the same confines as some of the people he has been reporting on.

It's fucked up...
Old 30th May 2018, 00:42     #4346
Lightspeed

It does seem impossible to investigate organised sex abuse in the UK. Notably it seems accusations of racism may be part of the reason for the judge's resignation, but I suspect other pressures also existed.

I don't doubt the pedophile rings and rape clubs still operate with impunity, Muslim or otherwise.

The phenomena doesn't seem to be unique to any place or time in human history.
Old 30th May 2018, 02:26     #4347
Nich

Oh I most certainly agree this is nothing new. The general trend is towards a healthier, safer, life for more and more people... which makes cases like these really feel like a step backwards for humanity.

I suppose what makes me ill most of all is that the UK police specifically went looking for Tommy Robinson and harassed him until he did something unlawful. It's the same feeling I got when reading 1984. Theresa May has dreams of totalitarianism, so it's not an exaggeration to say the UK government is behaving in a very Orwellian manner. It is its stated goal, and its way of conducting itself.

Look here, though. protests are happening world-wide over this.

https://www.zerohedge.com/news/2018-...-out-worldwide
Old 30th May 2018, 02:46     #4348
Nich

https://thesecretbarrister.com/2018/...ommy-robinson/

Alright, so he may have indeed provoked the judge after being fairly warned to stop his behaviour as it may lead to retrial or mis-trial. Still, he is trying to report on a story that doesnt get much coverage, but should.
Old 30th May 2018, 08:14     #4349
pxpx

I guess the really big question is, who really gives a shit?

Last edited by pxpx : 30th May 2018 at 08:15.
Old 30th May 2018, 10:14     #4350
Nich

I give a damn just because there still seems to be some confusion about whether Islam should be tolerated in western societies. The confusion is best exemplified by none other than Batman:

sam Harris on Bill Maher with Ben Affleck
https://youtu.be/vln9D81eO60

and this

MP shares tweet saying abuse victims should ‘shut their mouths for good of diversity’
https://metro.co.uk/2017/08/23/mp-sh...rsity-6872181/
Old 30th May 2018, 14:06     #4351
Lightspeed

I'm uncomfortable with specific groups being targeted for general concerns. Like getting wound up by Gloriavale when we're undermining our ability to fight in our own society what we condemn them of.

It's far too easy to get caught up in distortions where something appears so real and true - because it is - while blinding ourselves to what's also real and true.

*Behaviours* should be tolerable/intolerable. Who is engaging in them shouldn't be a consideration.
Old 31st May 2018, 12:31     #4352
Nich

We can all agree that both behaviours (being in contempt of court, and systematic rape of thousands) are intolerable in western societies. There are laws that allow prosecution for these offenses. Where the problem lies is that authorities hesitate to enforce the law for one group, while the other group is a much easier and compliant target.

I get that authorities are in a tough position, and I can understand their reluctance to act. France and Britain over the past 15 years have been shaken by a series of random acts of terror. A public trial in Britain of a Muslim group could be seen as racist and anti-Muslim, which may spark international outrage from social justice warriors, and even worse could provoke another terrorist attack.

What drives me to despair is that British police chose to look the other way and stay silent out of fear of bad public image or violent retaliation. Unfortunately, the world has erupted with street protests about Tommy Robinson's imprisonment rather than the issue he was trying to highlight.
Old 31st May 2018, 12:49     #4353
Ab
A mariachi ogre snorkel

Even Wikipedia’s anodyne description will make you rage:

https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Roth...tation_scandal

Amazingly the words Muslim and Islam appear not once in that article... which is I guess the point
Old 31st May 2018, 14:06     #4354
Lightspeed

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nich
We can all agree that both behaviours (being in contempt of court, and systematic rape of thousands) are intolerable in western societies. There are laws that allow prosecution for these offenses. Where the problem lies is that authorities hesitate to enforce the law for one group, while the other group is a much easier and compliant target.
Absolutely, it definitely goes both ways.
Old 31st May 2018, 14:17     #4355
DrTiTus
HENCE WHY FOREVER ALONE

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ab
Even Wikipedia’s anodyne description will make you rage:

https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Roth...tation_scandal

Amazingly the words Muslim and Islam appear not once in that article... which is I guess the point
Actually, mention of Muslim and Islam both appear. And a whole lot of Pakistani. It also mentions taxi drivers (which pretty much means immigrants).
Old 31st May 2018, 14:42     #4356
Ab
A mariachi ogre snorkel

Quote:
Originally Posted by DrTiTus
Actually, mention of Muslim and Islam both appear.

Where?
Old 31st May 2018, 14:55     #4357
DrTiTus
HENCE WHY FOREVER ALONE

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ab
Where?
Norfolk writes that most sex offenders in the UK are white men and lone offenders; these cases were distinctive because most of the men had Muslim names and were working in groups.

British Muslims and members of the British-Pakistani community condemned both the abuse and that it had been covered up.

Nazir Afzal, Chief Crown Prosecutor of the Crown Prosecution Service (CPS) for North West England from 2011–2015, himself a Muslim, made the decision in 2011 to prosecute the Rochdale child sex abuse ring after the CPS had turned the case down.

The UK Hindu Council and the Sikh Federation asked that the perpetrators be described as Pakistani Muslims, rather than Asian.

Responding to the Jay report, he argued that the abuse had no basis in Islam: "Islam says that alcohol, drugs, rape and abuse are all forbidden, yet these men were surrounded by all of these things."

Since your link is a mobile link, it's possible you're being shown a brief/mobile version on your mobile device?
Old 2nd June 2018, 00:56     #4358
Nich

Dutch representative at EU condemns the arrest of Tommy Robinson and points out similar cases of totalitarianism across Europe.

https://youtu.be/S40WdgR0m3Y
Old 2nd June 2018, 12:26     #4359
fixed_truth

Tough rules see migrants give up and go home

Now this fucks me off. There's a lot of good migrant workers having to leave NZ because stingy employers won't pay them $24.29 per hour.
Old 5th June 2018, 12:18     #4360
Nich

The economic incentive system is broken, so it's unreasonable to blame the employer. Blame the government for creating a stupid "Skilled Migrant" category.