NZGames.com Forums
Register FAQ Calendar Mark Forums Read

Go Back   NZGames.com Forums > General > Open Discussion > Politics
User Name
Password

Old 18th March 2017, 00:32     #4041
Lightspeed

Does anyone have better than a guess as to what this means:

$475.351 million for Forecast Changes in Early Childhood Education, Primary and Secondary Education and Property Values

I'm guessing this is buying new land:

$270.577 million in capital funding and $80.349 in operating funding for the School Property Growth Package

Is this charter schools:

$151.567 million in capital funding for the New Zealand Schools Private Public Partnership - Project Two

Again I guess this is charter schools:

$177.347 million in capital funding (10 year total) and $20.226 million in operating funding (over four years) for the New Zealand Schools Private Public Partnership – Project Three

That's something like 80% of the increase right there.

If we guess this top two are somehow property related (??) and the next two are National's pet projects, it does fit that public education in general is being left to languish. I'm sure you brilliant fullas correct me where I'm wrong.
Old 18th March 2017, 11:52     #4042
Lightspeed

If we look at public health funding are we going to find the bulk of the increase is somehow property related too? Is this how it's always worked when the government tells us they've increased funding? This extra billion for prisons... Mostly property too?
Old 20th March 2017, 00:24     #4043
Brutus

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ab's Link.
The School Property Growth Package will fund 480 new classrooms, two new schools, two school expansions and the rebuild of a kura kaupapa Māori. In addition, seven new schools and three school rebuilds and relocations will be delivered via two public private partnerships.
Quote:
Originally Posted by http://www.education.govt.nz/ministry-of-education/specific-initiatives/public-private-partnerships/
Under a PPP, the Ministry engages the private partner to design, finance, build and maintain a particular school. We pay the private partner quarterly once the new buildings are open. We reduce the payment if the school facilities do not meet the standards in the contract. This effectively provides a 25-year guarantee on that school’s buildings and service delivery.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ab's link again
Operations grant increases have run well ahead of inflation in recent years. Cost adjustments have seen schools’ operations grant funding rose by over 15 percent from the 2010 school year start to the 2015 school year end. By contrast, CPI inflation rose 9.6 percent over the same period.
So, yes. No extra money being seen in Schools budgets, likely not even kept up with the real costs schools face.
Money for the most part is going on new classrooms required for roll increases.
Old 20th March 2017, 13:11     #4044
Ab
A mariachi ogre snorkel

But TAX CUTS!!1
Old 22nd March 2017, 14:00     #4045
Ab
A mariachi ogre snorkel

My nzpol twitter list lit up yesterday with people posting about Nicky Hager and a new book. What's the story?
Old 22nd March 2017, 18:32     #4046
Lightspeed

Differing accounts of civilians deaths during a fire fight NZ was involved in, in Afghanistan (none, six or eight.) Weak evidence in all cases so far. It's being framed as a revenge attack, it's not clear if the expected more extreme suggestions (such as investigation by the ICC for war crimes) bear any merit.
Old 22nd March 2017, 19:17     #4047
fixed_truth

Former Defence Minister Wayne Mapp today confirmed that civilians were killed.
http://www.newshub.co.nz/home/politi...id-claims.html

I know this is a reality of war but it does seem a bit gung-ho.
Old 22nd March 2017, 19:56     #4048
Lightspeed

Conversely:
http://www.radionz.co.nz/news/political/327226/afghan-raid-didn't-achieve-objective,-former-minister-says

Quote:
Meanwhile, the former Chief of Defence Force said he was "pretty confident" there were no civilian casualties in the raids.

Lieutenant General Rhys Jones was in the position from 2011 to 2014.

He said the claims of casualties were investigated at the time. That included a visit to a local hospital, where investigators found a couple of "fighting age" men with gunshot wounds.
Old 25th March 2017, 23:36     #4049
Lightspeed

New spying legislation passes

Quote:
The Intelligence and Security Bill affects the Government Communications Security Bureau (GCSB) and the Security Intelligence Service (SIS).

It removes the restriction on the GCSB intercepting New Zealanders' communication.
The drift continues...
Old 26th March 2017, 23:28     #4050
Lightspeed

Of the same ilk:
Anti-laundering rules raise privacy concerns

I miss ilk...
Old 27th March 2017, 20:53     #4051
The Edge

Who?
Old 27th March 2017, 21:20     #4052
Lightspeed

ilk
Old 30th March 2017, 13:03     #4053
Ab
A mariachi ogre snorkel

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lightspeed
Differing accounts of civilians deaths during a fire fight NZ was involved in, in Afghanistan (none, six or eight.) Weak evidence in all cases so far. It's being framed as a revenge attack, it's not clear if the expected more extreme suggestions (such as investigation by the ICC for war crimes) bear any merit.
well the book's authors seems to have cocked this up but good.
Old 30th March 2017, 15:21     #4054
Lightspeed

That does appear to be their MO. Except, you know, the books sell.
Old 30th March 2017, 15:27     #4055
Ab
A mariachi ogre snorkel

The old "all publicity is good publicity" routine, eh?
Old 30th March 2017, 15:37     #4056
pxpx

Quote:
That does appear to be their MO. Except, you know, the books sell.
a fool and his money are soon parted
Old 30th March 2017, 15:51     #4057
[Malks] Pixie

Quote:
Originally Posted by pxpx
a fool and his money are soon parted
What little money there is - Stephenson has been quite up front that he's unlikely to make back the money that he's put into the project.
Old 30th March 2017, 16:08     #4058
CCS
Stunt Pants

Good.
Old 30th March 2017, 16:24     #4059
[Malks] Pixie

That got an actual lol from me at least.
Old 30th March 2017, 16:37     #4060
Ab
A mariachi ogre snorkel

Monday:

Quote:
Nicky Hager and Jon Stephenson have stood by the claims in their book Hit and Run, saying they are "100 per cent sure" about the facts of the military operation
Quote:
"We're absolutely confident we're right, no question about it."
Quote:
In a statement sent to media on Sunday night, the authors say it's "actually impossible that the story is wrong".

http://www.stuff.co.nz/national/poli...an-allegations
NEK MINNIT

Today:
Quote:
Hit and Run authors concede they got the location for a raid wrong in their book

http://www.stuff.co.nz/national/poli...-in-their-book
Old 30th March 2017, 18:56     #4061
Lightspeed

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ab
The old "all publicity is good publicity" routine, eh?
I was thinking more along the lines of money in the bank is best money. But yeah, it's probably the publicity that will pay off.
Old 30th March 2017, 19:14     #4062
Ab
A mariachi ogre snorkel

Noone ever accused Nicky Hager of being a bad promoter.
Old 30th March 2017, 19:17     #4063
Ab
A mariachi ogre snorkel

The Greens on the other hand....

http://www.newshub.co.nz/home/politi...car-crash.html
Old 31st March 2017, 15:36     #4064
Heyzoos
Robosexual

Quote:
Of the same ilk:
Anti-laundering rules raise privacy concerns

I miss ilk...
I will let him know.
Old 31st March 2017, 23:38     #4065
Lightspeed

Thumbs up

Good, that is good.
Old 4th April 2017, 12:36     #4066
Ab
A mariachi ogre snorkel

Andrew Little is toast.

http://www.nzherald.co.nz/nz/news/ar...ectid=11831045
Old 4th April 2017, 12:41     #4067
Lightspeed

I'm not sure how he didn't see this coming. Surely it's obvious a couple of National donors/benefactors are going to drag this out for all its worth?

Maybe it's a ploy so that Labour can conveniently drop the numpty Little so the sharp and bright Ardern can step in?
Old 4th April 2017, 13:03     #4068
Ab
A mariachi ogre snorkel

I don't know either. Pride? Fuck he could have made this all go away on day zero with a retraction and an apology, but noooooo, strong union leaders don't apologise for shit.

Now he's defamed a rich person who has a list a mile long of Good Works In The Community and who is literally dying. A person who has nothing to lose and whose only interest is protecting his reputation.

Little is going to get fucking ANNIHILATED.
Old 4th April 2017, 13:07     #4069
DrTiTus
HENCE WHY FOREVER ALONE

The Hagamans have a right to take it to court, but in my IANAL opinion, I expect the judge will find Little not guilty.

A defense of "honest opinion" would satisfy me if I were the judge - also "common-law" qualified privilege (criticism of politicians/political parties is allowed). A combination of both should provide everything Little needs.

Not being able to question the motives of large donations is a recipe for corruption.
Old 4th April 2017, 13:09     #4070
ZoSo

"ANNIHILATED" in a NZ court, bit optimistic?
Old 4th April 2017, 13:32     #4071
Ab
A mariachi ogre snorkel

Sorry, I didn't mean "get financially penalised into oblivion by the court". I meant it more in a political sense - there's no way for him to come out of this not looking like a fucking tosser. And there's no way he has the time or money to defend this.
Old 4th April 2017, 14:06     #4072
ZoSo

I think you're thinking of australian politics atm. The punditry has already shifted here and will push this barrow to election at least imo. Even while currently looking like a tosser, he's holding around 30% and they're talking about who winnie is going to go with, not nesc. getting out the knvies as far as I can see (atm). One can only hope for a 5th scalp though.
Old 4th April 2017, 15:41     #4073
CCS
Stunt Pants

Quote:
Originally Posted by DrTiTus
Not being able to question the motives of large donations is a recipe for corruption.
Andrew Little CAN question the motives of a large donation, and he can do so under parliamentary privilege (that's kinda one of the tenets of parliamentary privilege). He just can't defame someone outside of parliament and that's where he fucked up. Little seemed to have no real idea as to whether the Hagaman donation was corrupt or not, but he went ahead and smeared Hagaman anyway because he thought it would score him political points. He thinks his tough guy "cut the crap" routine works.

The really dumb thing is that he should know better. As a lawyer and a politician he should know that in parliament he say things like "stinks to high heaven" but outside of parliament he has to moderate his language. Poor judgement on his part.
Old 4th April 2017, 16:09     #4074
ZoSo

Encouraging.

http://www.nzherald.co.nz/nz/news/ar...ectid=11831648

Hopefully avoid the retardation occurring in the us, canada & uk, before it really digs in here.
Old 4th April 2017, 16:47     #4075
[Malks] Pixie

Had someone proposed a change to the law around this?

It seems like a huge extrapolation to take one incident surrounding a student group and blow it up into "our universities are censoring free speech".
Old 4th April 2017, 17:36     #4076
Ab
A mariachi ogre snorkel

It feels to me like a general concern of the literati right now that discourse is getting squashed in Western universities because "intellectual freedom" has somehow come to mean "freedom from hearing things I find offensive".
Old 4th April 2017, 23:02     #4077
CCS
Stunt Pants

Quote:
Originally Posted by [Malks] Pixie
Had someone proposed a change to the law around this?

It seems like a huge extrapolation to take one incident surrounding a student group and blow it up into "our universities are censoring free speech".
I think the concern is that snowflakes here are starting to follow the lead of snowflakes overseas and it is seen as the beginning of the end.
Old 5th April 2017, 07:58     #4078
[Malks] Pixie

So hang on, what you're saying, is that the letter writers want university to be a "safe space" free of social consequences? /s
Old 5th April 2017, 11:09     #4079
CCS
Stunt Pants

Yeah man, totally. Consequences like snowflakes getting hurty feelings. Consequences like snowflakes having a meltdown when they struggle to cope with the revelation that not everyone buys into their sanctimonious worldview.

Oh yeah /s
Old 5th April 2017, 11:30     #4080
[Malks] Pixie

Shit man, that's asking a lot of your everyday commerce student - I'm not sure if they could handle the harsh reality of having their world view challenged.

On a more serious note is this in relation to course related or extra-curricular stuff? I know there was a whole lot of hand wringing around the idea of "no-platforming" a while ago but I haven't really seen (or heard, or read) any evidence of it occurring over here.