NZGames.com Forums
Register FAQ Calendar Mark Forums Read

Go Back   NZGames.com Forums > General > Open Discussion
User Name
Password

Old 23rd April 2023, 12:05     #1001
Cyberbob

late edit:
I'm probably still annoyed that I was let go from an IT job in Melbourne because I couldn't get defense security clearance to work on an ANZAC army records orientated project because I was a New Zealander and not an Aussie.
Old 23rd April 2023, 13:02     #1002
Know me.

Not good for New Zealand considering our current short, medium and long-term prospects for Kiwis under the age of 40.

We are staring into the barrel of a short-term recession. It doesn't look like in the medium term that wages in NZ will catchup to anything like Australia and Australia sorted their long-term aging population problem 20 years ago.
Old 23rd April 2023, 16:53     #1003
_Incubus_

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cyberbob
late edit:
I'm probably still annoyed that I was let go from an IT job in Melbourne because I couldn't get defense security clearance to work on an ANZAC army records orientated project because I was a New Zealander and not an Aussie.
My company has paid the $4K and I've done the skilled migrants visa to get my residency and now waiting for my citizenship to come though.

Was a massive ball ache to do, but I need to get a clearance for my job.
Old 23rd April 2023, 18:33     #1004
xor

I wonder how many kiwis will make the move to Aus now, as there is a defined pathway to becoming an Aussie.

No idea what my long term plans would be if I couldn't get citizenship, go to the EU (Irish passport) or Asia somewhere.
Old 23rd April 2023, 19:12     #1005
Ab
A mariachi ogre snorkel

Given the respective governments and economies of the two countries, you’d be mad to stay in NZ if you had employable skills.
Old 23rd April 2023, 19:35     #1006
_Incubus_

We have massive skills shortages in SA in the Security industry for qualified techs, so I've even started telling my channel partners to advertise in NZ.

A security tech in NZ gets about $80K a year with extra stuff, a company in the NT is offering $150K - $170K base plus retention bonuses and relocation.
Old 23rd April 2023, 20:42     #1007
Ab
A mariachi ogre snorkel

And getting that money in the NT would be comparable to 250K back home. Again, mad if you stay.
Old 23rd April 2023, 23:40     #1008
DrTiTus
HENCE WHY FOREVER ALONE

I'm waiting until after the NZ and US elections and the global financial crisis/recession/economic collapse (so probably 2025, by my calculations) before I give up the safety of my "bolt-hole". I have talked about it - but Mum has asked me not to move ("if you go, we'll all have to go!"), so if my sister finally realizes Manurewa is the pits and talks about moving to Aussie, I'll definitely encourage it rather than try to stop her.

Money isn't a priority for me - I feel like I'm sorted already. Time to do what I want is far more precious. I don't have kids, so even if I died with zero dollars in the bank I'd consider that "very good timing". I can understand that others with kids think differently and financial advantage means a lot more to them than it does to me, but I am not enough of a fan of Australia - I've only ever seen it as a big Auckland, and that place sucks. If you went from Auckland -> Australia you probably know no different, but I'm living like a rural hermit, away from people and problems and I love it. To sell up and move to a new country just to stay home and look at a different set of 4 walls, and then probably work 9-5 again to pay a mortgage isn't appealing enough in and of itself.

I will accept I'm mad, but a different form of madness is spending your limited time on Earth doing things you don't enjoy, to buy things you don't need, so you can brag to people who don't care. The things on my bucket list require time and effort more than they require money, so I'm focusing on those things for now. If shit gets unbearable here (like this Government getting re-elected), then at least I know I've got options.
Old 24th April 2023, 00:23     #1009
Lightspeed

How big of a voting bloc are kiwis in Aus?
Old 24th April 2023, 08:55     #1010
fixed_truth

Same as always people will weigh up their personal situation and a range of lifestyle factors and make a decision about what's best for them.

I do hope that in regards to public sector jobs like health care & teaching that it will be a bit of a wake up call for so called middle NZ that tax reform & more Govt. investment is needed to fund more competitive salaries.
Old 24th April 2023, 09:58     #1011
_Incubus_

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lightspeed
There's almost 700,000 of us trapped in SCV limbo at the moment.

That's going to be a big chunk of votes come the citizenship rules change.
Old 24th April 2023, 10:55     #1012
Cyberbob

Quote:
Originally Posted by DrTiTus
Money isn't a priority for me - I feel like I'm sorted already. Time to do what I want is far more precious.
This is the dilemma. I moved to Aussie soon after getting married, and eventually found a great job, but for some stupid reason decided to start a family, and I wanted my kid to grow up around his grandparents & wider support network, just like my wife and I did. All of that was back in NZ, so I left my well paying job in Melbourne, moved back to NZ, and got a job in Auckland.

It took five years to get a salary equal to what I left Melbourne on. If I was purely financially driven, moving back to NZ was an incredibly dumb move. But I'm not.
Old 24th April 2023, 11:39     #1013
Ab
A mariachi ogre snorkel

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lightspeed
My take: they’re not a voting bloc. If you’re talking about Au elections, noncitizens can’t vote. So kiwis will only start influencing Au politics once they become citizens. If you’re talking NZ elections, to vote kiwis have to have been in NZ within 6 years of the election date, and care. I’m just not sure many people meet both those criteria.
Old 25th April 2023, 13:45     #1014
blynk

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ab
My take: they’re not a voting bloc. If you’re talking about Au elections, noncitizens can’t vote. So kiwis will only start influencing Au politics once they become citizens. If you’re talking NZ elections, to vote kiwis have to have been in NZ within 6 years of the election date, and care. I’m just not sure many people meet both those criteria.
Isn't that what he is meaning? Now all these NZers can get citizenship and vote. Who might they lean towards, the ones that gave them the ability to get citizenship.

TBF, I don't really know what NZers in AU can and can't do. I've just made the assumption that they will be able to vote (or a lot more of them can).
Old 25th April 2023, 15:59     #1015
Know me.

Quote:
Originally Posted by blynk
Isn't that what he is meaning? Now all these NZers can get citizenship and vote. Who might they lean towards, the ones that gave them the ability to get citizenship.
Scrapping compulsory super and capital gains tax? Seems to be the majority here. More money to yolo into Bitcoin!
Old 25th April 2023, 19:19     #1016
Ab
A mariachi ogre snorkel

Quote:
Originally Posted by blynk

TBF, I don't really know what NZers in AU can and can't do. I've just made the assumption that they will be able to vote (or a lot more of them can).
I wasn't sure which electors LS was referring to. As a rule, Kiwis in Oz are more educated and have a higher average income than Australians in Oz, but I'm not sure what other generalisations one could make. If one feels strongly about citizenship, then I guess yeah one might have positive feelings about a leader or party or government that made it happen. But that might not influence anything. I don't think of Kiwis in Oz as a bloc per se. The only thing that politically-engaged Kiwis over here seem to feel in common is that NZ has gone to shit and everyone's glad to not live there.
Old 25th April 2023, 21:17     #1017
_Incubus_

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ab
I wasn't sure which electors LS was referring to. As a rule, Kiwis in Oz are more educated and have a higher average income than Australians in Oz, but I'm not sure what other generalisations one could make. If one feels strongly about citizenship, then I guess yeah one might have positive feelings about a leader or party or government that made it happen. But that might not influence anything. I don't think of Kiwis in Oz as a bloc per se. The only thing that politically-engaged Kiwis over here seem to feel in common is that NZ has gone to shit and everyone's glad to not live there.
There's not really any other party to vote for these days than Labor. Liberal is/has become a toxic brand and Green really does produce some out their crazies in the AU political landscape. They are still smarting from Lidia Thorpe..

Labor seem to be doing an amazing bread and circus act at the moment. Especially here in SA.
Old 25th April 2023, 22:06     #1018
Ab
A mariachi ogre snorkel

Word.

Right now the zeitgeist regarding the political parties with national profiles is basically:

Greens: fucking insane
Liberals: fucking cunts
Labor: basically well-meaning but fucking useless
Old 15th May 2024, 18:18     #1019
Ab
A mariachi ogre snorkel

'Stratospheric' exodus of skilled workers huge loss for NZ - expert

https://www.1news.co.nz/2024/05/15/s...for-nz-expert/
Old 15th May 2024, 19:31     #1020
Lightspeed

Who needs 'em. Think of the lockdowns and whining grandmas we'd be spared if we didn't have no smarty-pants around?

All I see is a reason to gut student loans. Amirite?
Old 16th May 2024, 12:29     #1021
xor

ouch, RIP NZ. Will be interesting what the people/culture looks like in another 5 years.
Old 16th May 2024, 12:40     #1022
StN
I have detailed files

Quote:
Originally Posted by xor
ouch, RIP NZ. Will be interesting what the people/culture looks like in another 5 years.
You've not seen the Maximillian Rokatansky documentary?
Old 18th May 2024, 12:43     #1023
Ab
A mariachi ogre snorkel

This article, from an Aussie perspective, even more brutal:

https://www.abc.net.au/news/2024-05-...alia/103791070