Register FAQ Calendar Mark Forums Read

Go Back   NZGames.com Forums > General > Open Discussion
User Name
Password

Old 13th October 2021, 12:09     #1001
Nich

Quote:
Originally Posted by fixed_truth
I've watched his latest Netflix stand up. He does cash in with some lazy transphobic rhetoric e.g. equating gender to blackface, equating Ali's name change with Jennier's transition 50 years later, and siding with Rowlings gender denial. Comedy is kind of a weird context as it's traditionally a hall pass for joking about controversial subjects but at the same time it is perpetuating outdated and harmful ideas.
Harmful ideas. My god... the idea hurts me! Granted, some people with bad ideas are claiming Dave is "on our side!". They are looking at it wrong.

Look at it another way, jokes and transgressions will help heal a societal divide, prudish perpetual victim status will widen the divide. One is inclusive (I'm a joke, and so are you!), the other is exclusive (You cannot joke about that).
Old 13th October 2021, 12:26     #1002
fixed_truth

Nah, I'll let those directly negativity affected by transphobia decide if it's okay. Otherwise it's just my privilege distorting things.
Old 13th October 2021, 12:30     #1003
Ab
A mariachi ogre snorkel

I heard that he makes a joke about a trans woman committing suicide!
Old 13th October 2021, 12:34     #1004
fixed_truth

Q.E.D
Old 13th October 2021, 18:17     #1005
xor

11/10

https://youtube.com/shorts/-w0pioYEUDI?feature=share
Old 14th October 2021, 12:23     #1006
Ab
A mariachi ogre snorkel

Boston Pride is one of the longest running gay festivals in the world, having started in a very different era - like, 1971 different - and should be celebrating its 59th anniversary this year.

It won’t be, because same-sex attraction is a hate crime, and sex doesn’t exist anyway, and the focus of any community event should obviously be defunding the police. Cancelled. Not just the parade - the 50-year-old gay pride org behind it has been shut down.
Old 14th October 2021, 12:32     #1007
fixed_truth

Quote:
The dissolution, announced Friday afternoon in a statement on the group’s website, comes after the reportedly all-white board of directors has faced ongoing accusations of ignoring racial minorities and transgender people.

“It is clear to us that our community needs and wants change without the involvement of Boston Pride,” the board said in its statement.

“We have heard the concerns of the QTBIPOC community and others,” the statement continued, referring to queer and trans people of color. “We care too much to stand in the way. Therefore, Boston Pride is dissolving. There will be no further events or programming planned, and the board is taking steps to close down the organization.”
Sounds like they weren't adequately representing their community.
Old 14th October 2021, 14:32     #1008
Lightspeed

It's not much different in NZ. Being Asian is especially difficult if you're gay in Auckland.
Old 14th October 2021, 16:43     #1009
crocos

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ab
Boston Pride is one of the longest running gay festivals in the world, having started in a very different era - like, 1971 different - and should be celebrating its 59th anniversary this year.

It won’t be, because same-sex attraction is a hate crime, and sex doesn’t exist anyway, and the focus of any community event should obviously be defunding the police. Cancelled. Not just the parade - the 50-year-old gay pride org behind it has been shut down.
Bit of a bad take there dude. Even a cursory reading into the matter shows as much.

وكل يوم كنت تعيش في العبودية
Old 14th October 2021, 21:08     #1010
Ab
A mariachi ogre snorkel

So what you’re saying is… you DON’T think the police should be defunded?
Old 14th October 2021, 21:13     #1011
Lightspeed

The NSW "Fixated Persons Unit" definitely needs to be! I had to double-check that was actually a real thing.
Old 18th October 2021, 16:53     #1012
Lightspeed

A woman won a million-euro Spanish literary prize. It turned out that ‘she’ was actually three men.
Old 18th October 2021, 17:59     #1013
Ab
A mariachi ogre snorkel

even better: the competition submissions were made and judged anonymously. So an anonymous author won a prize for literature, and it turned out that the author was a woman, who was three men.
Old 21st October 2021, 12:11     #1014
Ab
A mariachi ogre snorkel

Margaret Atwood, author of “The Handmaid’s Tale”, cancelled for transphobia and hate speech

https://flip.it/zDK2Qz
Old 21st October 2021, 13:03     #1015
Lightspeed

Classic identification with the aggressor:

https://www.reddit.com/r/PublicFreak...esters_at_the/

Warning: may evoke rage.

This is the thing right, we don't get to oppress groups and then expect them to be all polite and grateful once they get out from under it.

In all cases we're human. Organisms that make decisions not via some kind of logical flow chart, but as a consequence of a biopsychosocial stew.
Old 21st October 2021, 15:39     #1016
Ab
A mariachi ogre snorkel

Mentally scanning through The Closer in my head, it was

Joke about sexual abuse survivors
Joke about Jews
Joke about Asians
Joke about black Americans
Joke about white Americans
Joke about gays
Joke about lesbians
Joke about trans people ***BOOM***

With one exception those jokes were only in there to not provoke a reaction. They were anti-jokes. Chappelle is so good that this is the point he was making. The reaction to his show after the show is part of the show. No-one is calling for Chappelle to be cancelled for being a paedophile, or an anti-Semite, or a racist, or a homophobe.
Old 21st October 2021, 16:35     #1017
xor

It's funny because the trans person leading the charge to cancel Chappelle is white
Old 21st October 2021, 16:54     #1018
fixed_truth

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ab
No-one is calling for Chappelle to be cancelled for being a paedophile, or an anti-Semite, or a racist, or a homophobe.
Of course not. It's not a level playing field. Different groups are affected differently by jokes as those with comparatively less privilege have to deal with the effect prejudice has on how they live in society. And it's not like Chappelle's jokes were harmless ribbing, he went for the jugular with his gender denial.

Last edited by fixed_truth : 21st October 2021 at 16:55.
Old 21st October 2021, 18:54     #1019
crocos

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ab
Mentally scanning through The Closer in my head, it was

Joke about sexual abuse survivors
Joke about Jews
Joke about Asians
Joke about black Americans
Joke about white Americans
Joke about gays
Joke about lesbians
Joke about trans people
Actually this list pretty much sums up why I don't watch Chappelle and haven't for years. He's got great delivery - that I'll credit. However pretty much all of his humour involves dumping on various groups of people, and always has.

Arsehole is as arsehole does, and this guy is an arsehole.

Old 21st October 2021, 20:43     #1020
Ab
A mariachi ogre snorkel

"I don't need to read the book to know it should be burned!"
Old 21st October 2021, 21:04     #1021
Ab
A mariachi ogre snorkel

Speaking of book-burning…

Quote:
Canadian schools eliminated 5,000 children's books in a ‘purifying’ ceremony against racism. Roughly 30 books, including Asterix and the Indians, were burned, while some 5,000 others have since been targeted for destruction by other means, according to reports.

https://www.nationalreview.com/2021/...xual-savagery/
Old 21st October 2021, 21:42     #1022
crocos

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ab
"I don't need to read the book to know it should be burned!"
The difference is, I'm just stating that the guy doesn't pedal humour I can enjoy, and he is an arsehole. I'm not calling for cancellation.

Frankly if every comedian that dumped on others were eliminated from being a comedian, probably 2/3rds of them would be gone.

Last edited by crocos : 21st October 2021 at 21:44.
Old 22nd October 2021, 03:15     #1023
Ab
A mariachi ogre snorkel

Once you realise he’s not a comedian and he’s not peddling humour, it becomes easier to understand.
Old 22nd October 2021, 08:36     #1024
StN
I have detailed files

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ab
Once you realise he’s not a comedian and he’s not peddling humor, it becomes easier to understand.
Yeah - there wasn't a lot of laughing in the last ten minutes of Closer.
Old 22nd October 2021, 12:19     #1025
crocos

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ab
Once you realise he’s not a comedian and he’s not peddling humour, it becomes easier to understand.
Right, so that leaves just an arsehole. Noted, cheers.

Old 22nd October 2021, 15:14     #1026
Ab
A mariachi ogre snorkel

Universities keep eating themselves:

https://www.smh.com.au/world/north-a...22-p59266.html
Old 22nd October 2021, 15:24     #1027
Lightspeed

He might be right, but he took the wrong approach:

Quote:
They argued that scrapping legacy (family) and athletic admission advantages - which favour white men - would do more for diversity than enforced inclusion.
He should have shut the fuck up about "enforced inclusion" and focused on the problem with universities selling legitimacy. Cause guess what, those who are buying have an incentive to shut him down. And what's an easy and effective way to do that? "Look, this guy's racist!"

Quote:
“I was so shocked that I couldn’t speak for a while,” Abbot says. “I had no idea something like that could happen in America ... Apparently, I’m so morally polluted that if anyone hears anything I have to say bad things will happen.”
How is this guy shocked? Maybe get your head out of the books from time to time?

Then what does he go ahead and do? He goes to work for the very people who benefit from the problem he was raising:

Quote:
Six days later, Abbot wrote a piece about the affair for Common Sense, a website run by former New York Times columnist Bari Weiss. The cancellation of his speech, he argued, was “a striking illustration of the threat woke ideology poses to our culture, our institutions and to our freedoms”.
What a fucking mess.

Last edited by Lightspeed : 22nd October 2021 at 15:25.
Old 22nd October 2021, 18:31     #1028
crocos

I'm sure it's been said before, but instead of yeeting anyone that doesn't give a compliant enough answer, "the left" would gain a lot more traction if they would take the approach of "great start, now here's where you could improve your points even further" rather than ranting like fucking lunatics. That shit should be for the far left, if that.

Old 24th October 2021, 14:27     #1029
Lightspeed

Wink

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ab
Margaret Atwood, author of “The Handmaid’s Tale”, cancelled for transphobia and hate speech

https://flip.it/zDK2Qz
Old 24th October 2021, 15:48     #1030
Ab
A mariachi ogre snorkel

Hahahaha yeah dude really put that bitch in her place
Old 24th October 2021, 20:32     #1031
Ab
A mariachi ogre snorkel

https://www.washingtonpost.com/local...a92_story.html

Summary of an awful awful story:

Trans student rapes a girl in a US school toilet

School staff decide to handle the issue "internally"; that is, without the police

Victim's father protests and demands that the school call the police, shit gets heated

School calls the police... on the father

School attempts to avoid publicity by shuffling the trans student off to another school

Trans student rapes someone at that school too

Everyone looks the other way because girls being in danger from males in female spaces is a myth
Old 26th October 2021, 19:45     #1032
Ab
A mariachi ogre snorkel

Oh hell yes, James McDowall's Member's Bill on academic freedom of speech just got drawn from the ballot:

https://www.parliament.nz/media/8336...dment-bill.pdf
Old 26th October 2021, 20:44     #1033
crocos

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ab
Oh hell yes, James McDowall's Member's Bill on academic freedom of speech just got drawn from the ballot:

https://www.parliament.nz/media/8336...dment-bill.pdf
Aah yes, the "let's allow Laura Southern and any old arsehole to spew their hate in lecture halls maintained by universities, making it appear as if the uni approves that shit" bill.

Old 27th October 2021, 00:53     #1034
Ab
A mariachi ogre snorkel

that's the price of democracy, you have to deal with the fact that somewhere someone is saying something you don't agree with
Old 27th October 2021, 06:14     #1035
Lightspeed

University halls are somewhere specific.

Democracy doesn't mean we can't have places of legitimacy, places where authority is earned by way of demonstrated disciplined effort.

People have more places than ever to say something. The halls of our universities don't need to be opened up as well.

People are still free to yell from outside any halls they're excluded from.
Old 27th October 2021, 08:15     #1036
fixed_truth

Quote:
Originally Posted by crocos
Aah yes, the "let's allow Laura Southern and any old arsehole to spew their hate in lecture halls maintained by universities, making it appear as if the uni approves that shit" bill.
Or the restriction of Universities autonomy bill.
Old 27th October 2021, 10:11     #1037
xor

Lol, this old argument again.
Old 5th November 2021, 21:53     #1038
Ab
A mariachi ogre snorkel

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ab
https://www.washingtonpost.com/local...a92_story.html

Summary of an awful awful story:

Trans student rapes a girl in a US school toilet

School staff decide to handle the issue "internally"; that is, without the police

Victim's father protests and demands that the school call the police, shit gets heated

School calls the police... on the father

School attempts to avoid publicity by shuffling the trans student off to another school

Trans student rapes someone at that school too

Everyone looks the other way because girls being in danger from males in female spaces is a myth
Quote:
The mother of the skirt-wearing boy, who was convicted of raping a ninth-grade girl in a Loudoun County school restroom, said Monday that the victim was to blame for being assaulted because she did not make stronger attempts to defend herself.

https://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/art...fies-male.html
Do I believe the girl who says she was raped, or the woman who says she deserved it? #believewomen
Old 6th November 2021, 12:08     #1039
Nich

Microsoft, a story in 2 parts:

https://twitter.com/nuancebro/status...795244038?s=21

https://twitter.com/libsoftiktok/sta...409100800?s=21
Old 6th November 2021, 12:32     #1040
Ab
A mariachi ogre snorkel

Requested no blind person ever.