Register FAQ Calendar Mark Forums Read

Go Back   NZGames.com Forums > General > Open Discussion
User Name
Password

Old 3rd April 2020, 17:03     #481
Lightspeed

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ab
Compare and contrast: during the 2009 Swine Flu, Minister of Health Tony Ryall (MP for Bay of Plenty) gave two press briefings a day from Wellington with situation updates.
I hear you, but looking around at the options going around, I'm grateful for the politicians we've got. How many press briefings a day from an Aussie politician will resolve these circumstances to the best of our ability, let alone someone working for Johnson or Trump? Working hard at bullshit is still bullshit. Here we have some semblance of an adult response.
Old 3rd April 2020, 17:03     #482
blynk

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ab
Compare and contrast: during the 2009 Swine Flu, Minister of Health Tony Ryall (MP for Bay of Plenty) gave two press briefings a day from Wellington with situation updates.
Although, we have Dr Bloomfield doing the updates (along with Sarah Stuart-Black for the Civil Defence), which I would much prefer over any cabinet member spouting on.
And then Ardern and Robertson doing some as well.
Old 3rd April 2020, 17:11     #483
Ab
A mariachi ogre snorkel

Yeah, maybe I'm being a bit harsh. The Australian experience right now is certainly that politician press conferences are not necessarily helpful. But still, fuck dude, you're the Minister of Health. Don't do selfish shit against advice out in the world a million miles from Wellington during a health disaster.
Old 3rd April 2020, 17:28     #484
Cyberbob

Be thankful you don't have America's problems.

Todays briefing:

The President claiming scarves are better than masks because they’re thicker.

Letting people know he's trending on Facebook.

White House Senior Advisor Jared Kushner advising that the federal stockpile isn't supposed to be used by the states.

They're so fucked.
Old 3rd April 2020, 17:49     #485
Native
I... err - F*ck It.

Wow.

Just fucking wow.

I shouldn't be surprised but wow.
Old 3rd April 2020, 19:53     #486
ceer

Do not like working from home

Been just under 2 weeks (I think), time is irrelevant and I am struggling, on my own and partly my fault for not taking a break and going out for exercise etc.

Today for entertainment in the last hour I watched a doco on suicide (linked in the NZ Herald website - which BTW is a totally shit site), was very interesting and was pretty heart breaking for the family.

Looking forward to the next 3 weeks, yay? at least I still have a job so there is that.
Old 3rd April 2020, 20:15     #487
Trigga*happY

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cyberbob

Todays briefing:

The President claiming scarves are better than masks because they’re thicker.

Letting people know he's trending on Facebook.

White House Senior Advisor Jared Kushner advising that the federal stockpile isn't supposed to be used by the states.

They're so fucked.
Don't forget his skepticism of Ventilators as a sound investment as they're going to be worth $5 a piece in a few months time...
Old 3rd April 2020, 20:42     #488
Know me.

Quote:
Originally Posted by ceer
Been just under 2 weeks (I think), time is irrelevant and I am struggling, on my own and partly my fault for not taking a break and going out for exercise etc.

Today for entertainment in the last hour I watched a doco on suicide (linked in the NZ Herald website - which BTW is a totally shit site), was very interesting and was pretty heart breaking for the family.

Looking forward to the next 3 weeks, yay? at least I still have a job so there is that.
I have make a commitment to take a walk each day for the last week. I hate getting off my arse each time but its well worth it. HEAPS of people out walking any time of the day.
Old 4th April 2020, 00:38     #489
Ab
A mariachi ogre snorkel

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cyberbob
Trump Replaced White House Pandemic-Response Team With Jared Kushner
Old 4th April 2020, 08:24     #490
StN
I have detailed files

Quote:
Originally Posted by ceer
3 weeks? I understand bean counters have been asked by Treasury to make projections out for 12 weeks of zero revenue. Perhaps that's a worst case scenario, but 3 sounds optimistic.
Old 4th April 2020, 12:27     #491
Farmer Joe
Word To Your Motherboard!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ab
What a fucking muppet. Just a reminder that in spite of Saint Jacinda's empathic FB Live videos, Labour still gonna Labour.

This is the Minister of Health. What the fuck is he doing mountain biking in the South Island? Why the fuck is he not at work?
I think it's awesome, I imagine his job is ridiculously stressful right now, why shouldn't he be outside getting some fresh air and exercise?
Old 4th April 2020, 12:29     #492
Farmer Joe
Word To Your Motherboard!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ab
If you managed to do so before the greatest price spike in history this morning, nice work.
I fucking wish!
Old 4th April 2020, 19:52     #493
Know me.

There have been rumours that china have been buying the oil cheap for the last 3 weeks. The first pop yesterday was based on more china rumours, then followed announcements of supply reductions and then trump said he was going to sort it and then announcement of OPEC+ meeting to sort it out. All this lead to the massive % price rise.
China does not have oil, it’s the missing piece of the puzzle for them.
Old 5th April 2020, 02:01     #494
crocos

Walter Wipe - Breaking Bog
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xyIzhRvtIJ0

وكل يوم كنت تعيش في العبودية
Old 5th April 2020, 02:17     #495
crocos

Now THIS is how to do lockdown
https://twitter.com/Holbornlolz/stat...85730525167617

وكل يوم كنت تعيش في العبودية
Old 5th April 2020, 08:51     #496
Know me.

Quote:
Originally Posted by crocos
Old 5th April 2020, 11:26     #497
Nich

Work, Crisis and Pandemic
https://www.counterpunch.org/2020/04...-and-pandemic/

Quote:
The Federal aid programs are capitalist in the sense that they see the world through a capitalist lens. Unemployment benefits are premised in the idea that only paid labor matters. Since the 1970s, women entering the workforce have added to household income without the work that they were doing— household labor, being considered. The informal economy that sustains the poor exists outside of Social Security numbers, unemployment insurance, and many times the law. It ebbs and flows with the broader economy, growing in times of broad social failure and pitting citizens against the forces of capitalist order.

A virtual chorus of leftish economists has called for maintenance of this order through keeping workers ‘attached’ to their employers.
Income pays the rent; the rent pays the landlord’s mortgage and the mortgage payment keeps the bank solvent. As long as owners and bankers are happy, the ultimate plight of workers is an afterthought.
It's easy to fire people now, get a corporate bail out, become a zombie company that should be dead, let workers stew on piss poor unemployment benefits for as long as it takes, then hire desperate workers at half the salary when productivity resumes.

I am surprised at how easy it has been for Australian employers to fire employees in this crisis. Without knowing each employment contract, I would guess that many instances are indeed unfair dismissal which should be a redundancy with payout. It is technically a redundancy in most cases. Something stinks about the "stimulus" in US and in Aus.

Last edited by Nich : 5th April 2020 at 11:30.
Old 5th April 2020, 12:31     #498
Nich

The Pulse:Coronavirus situations in New York city, London and Lombardy, Italy & interview with WHO Dr Bruce Alyward
https://youtu.be/RLvg0KnTKhU?t=1156

Interviewer: Taiwan warned WHO of human-to-human transmission back in December 2019, and has the virus under control. Would WHO reconsider Taiwan's membership?

WHO: pshhoooooshh ... you're breaking up ... pshhhhooo .. i think the call might get disconnected! Repeat the question! Actually go to the next question!

*Dr Bruce Alyward ended the call*
Old 5th April 2020, 14:54     #499
Lightspeed

While the West has been busy being "fiscally responsible", China has been ensuring that organisations who depend on public funds to survive know on which side their bread is buttered.
Old 5th April 2020, 15:01     #500
Lightspeed

Old 5th April 2020, 16:31     #501
DrTiTus
HENCE WHY FOREVER ALONE

I wish we had stats on how many people died from non-Covid vs Covid per day.
Old 5th April 2020, 16:53     #502
Lightspeed

You should be able to roughly deduce the the daily death rate of a country using available data, if you're really interested.
Old 5th April 2020, 16:57     #503
Know me.

Quote:
Originally Posted by DrTiTus
https://www.worldometers.info/
Old 5th April 2020, 17:06     #504
Ab
A mariachi ogre snorkel

Quote:
Yeah but remember Covid is basically a DDOS on healthcare systems. Covid burden locks up the hospitals, people die who otherwise would have been treated. It's hard to separate non-Covid from Covid.
Old 5th April 2020, 17:35     #505
xor

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nich
The Pulse:Coronavirus situations in New York city, London and Lombardy, Italy & interview with WHO Dr Bruce Alyward
https://youtu.be/RLvg0KnTKhU?t=1156

Interviewer: Taiwan warned WHO of human-to-human transmission back in December 2019, and has the virus under control. Would WHO reconsider Taiwan's membership?

WHO: pshhoooooshh ... you're breaking up ... pshhhhooo .. i think the call might get disconnected! Repeat the question! Actually go to the next question!

*Dr Bruce Alyward ended the call*
Is there a way to validate that segment or is there a possibility that this was edited?
Old 5th April 2020, 18:04     #506
DrTiTus
HENCE WHY FOREVER ALONE

Quote:
Originally Posted by Know me.
Well that's interesting. Since Covid started, it's killed half a day's worth of people.

Open er up I say. This shit's weak.
Old 5th April 2020, 18:15     #507
DrTiTus
HENCE WHY FOREVER ALONE

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ab
Yeah but remember Covid is basically a DDOS on healthcare systems. Covid burden locks up the hospitals, people die who otherwise would have been treated.
As a heartless wonder, I would say it's mostly killing people who would have died soon anyway (elderly/underlying conditions). Of course you get the outliers, but you always do.

It's out of my control and I don't want your votes, so I'm voicing my opinion, regardless of whether I expect consensus (I don't, lots of people are shitting their pants for no good reason except they've been watching the news). It's all quite ridiculous, but hey, I've been less stressed without any work to do by any particular time, so I'm not really complaining. I prepared for the worst, despite being considered crazy, and now I'm fine, since it doesn't get much worse than this, even though it's "just a cold" and not really bad at all. I'll panic when it's a flesh eating disease, and not just a different strain of flu, or actual war breaks out.

I've also heard anecdotes from people that their relatives are being categorised as "covid deaths" who weren't covid deaths, and so the numbers are "inflated" in the west, and "lied about" (under-reported) in China.

The biggest takeaway from all of this is that while people don't trust their governments, we're all happy to OBEY. For how long is the question.
Old 6th April 2020, 00:42     #508
Lightspeed

There's a lot more at stake than whether one will or will not survive the virus. Consider:
  • Potential health implications for those who survive infection.
  • Those who will suffer long lasting consequences or death due to health services being overwhelmed.
  • Those who will miss out on care because they cannot afford it, having lost their source of income.
  • The general bullshit that happens during any kind of economic downturn.
And so on.

We always will act in our perceived interests. Ideally our governments are set up in these interests, so in the best case we indeed OBEY what our government determines our interests are. This is the biggest test the world has seen in a long time as to how well aligned these interests are.
Old 6th April 2020, 09:48     #509
ePi

Quote:
As a heartless wonder, I would say it's mostly killing people who would have died soon anyway (elderly/underlying conditions). Of course you get the outliers, but you always do.

I've also heard anecdotes from people that their relatives are being categorised as "covid deaths" who weren't covid deaths, and so the numbers are "inflated" in the west, and "lied about" (under-reported) in China.
The other side of the argument is that the death toll is deceptively low. There has been a massive underestimation of unattributed covid-deaths in the West (America) due to limited resources and inconsistent protocols. An overwhelmed health system unable to test everyone. People who have died at home, untested.

Adding in the disinformation campaigns currently spreading confusion about Covid-19.

https://www.nytimes.com/2020/04/05/u...ndercount.html
Old 6th April 2020, 09:51     #510
Cyberbob

Can't be a Covid-19 death statistic if you never get tested.
America playing the big brain game.
Old 6th April 2020, 13:58     #511
Nich

Dan Carlin Common Sense
https://www.dancarlin.com/product/co...pe-for-caesar/

4 years overdue, definitely worth listening to.
Old 6th April 2020, 16:28     #512
Trigga*happY

I would be interested to see the percentage of infections per ethnicity in New York. With 8.2% of NY being of Italian blood, I've been wondering if there's a bias to the virus, or if it's just logical progression based on international travel of friends and relatives between Italy and New York.
Old 7th April 2020, 08:01     #513
Know me.

Quote:
Also, S&P 500 double top rejection at 2,630 on the "stimulus". Unlikely to try again to get above 2,630 any time soon. If you believe in Fibonacci technical analysis then this current downward wave is going to be epic.
Just GAPPED that level. Incredible. Trump tells execs they are getting 1.5T.
Old 7th April 2020, 10:10     #514
Nich

It's like playing monopoly with one's mother. When you start losing you cry and she reaches into the bank (Printer go BRRRRR) and keeps you in the game. You don't have for mortgage any houses or hotels, keep em.

Also, Boris Johnson is to be intubated. Survival chances now at 50-60%.
Old 7th April 2020, 11:10     #515
blynk

Quote:
This intrigues me very much.
It would be very interesting to see the outcome if he dies. A world leader, who didn't seem to care and first wanted to just let it ride out (and then fingers crossed for another leader)
But of course the empathetic side of me would not want to see that for him and his "family"
Old 7th April 2020, 14:45     #516
Native
I... err - F*ck It.

Quote:
Originally Posted by blynk
This intrigues me very much.
It would be very interesting to see the outcome if he dies. A world leader, who didn't seem to care and first wanted to just let it ride out (and then fingers crossed for another leader)
But of course the empathetic side of me would not want to see that for him and his "family"
This.

I've lumped Boris, Trump and Moronson in the same bucket of 'thank f'k I'm not living in their country' leadership.

But only Trump is someone I wouldn't have sympathy for - Boris at least has a conscience and is somewhat likable.

Also who would take his place is another concern, as he at least has some experience by a trial by fire.
Old 7th April 2020, 15:07     #517
Ab
A mariachi ogre snorkel

Quote:
Life comes at you fast. March 4:

Quote:
British Prime Minister Boris Johnson says the coronavirus won't stop him greeting people with a handshake, adding that he had shaken hands with everyone at a hospital where he said infected patients were being treated.

Australia and France recommended that people do not shake hands to prevent the spread of the virus, while Switzerland has said its residents should consider dropping the everyday greeting of kissing each other on the cheek.

Mr Johnson, however, exhibited no such caution.

“I’m shaking hands,” the Prime Minister said when asked how he planned to handle visiting dignitaries.

“I was at a hospital the other night where I think a few there were actually coronavirus patients and I shook hands with everybody, you’ll be pleased to know, and I continue to shake hands."
I am reminded of Eric Weinstein's anger on Ep 1453 of Joe Rogan's podcast, in which he describes our "governing class" as being fundamentally unqualified to help us through this shit. The mindset and skills that are required to make it to the top of the political heap in a 21st century democracy mean that such people are of absolutely no use in a disaster like this.
Old 7th April 2020, 15:22     #518
blynk

Quote:
Originally Posted by Native
This.

I've lumped Boris, Trump and Moronson in the same bucket of 'thank f'k I'm not living in their country' leadership.

But only Trump is someone I wouldn't have sympathy for - Boris at least has a conscience and is somewhat likable.

Also who would take his place is another concern, as he at least has some experience by a trial by fire.
Thats my concern with US. You would go from Trump to Pence, which the response would be to pray and god will help.
Old 7th April 2020, 15:27     #519
Lightspeed

Good info on the complexity of ventilators and why they can't just be whipped up en masse (despite claims to the contrary):

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7vLPefHYWpY
Old 7th April 2020, 16:09     #520
StN
I have detailed files

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ab
I am reminded of Eric Weinstein's anger on Ep 1453 of Joe Rogan's podcast...
I'm still digesting what he said about the mice.