Register FAQ Calendar Mark Forums Read

Go Back   NZGames.com Forums > General > Open Discussion > Politics
User Name
Password

Old 2nd November 2010, 15:30     #1
Ab
A mariachi ogre snorkel

US midterms 2010: Dems GGR

I'm not sure what amazes me the most: the Republican Party's ability to come back so hard from 2008's total electoral destruction, or the Democratic Party's total limp-dick emo impotence while having the House, Senate, and White House for two years.
Old 2nd November 2010, 15:50     #2
CCS
Stunt Pants

One should no longer be surprised at the ineptness of the Dems.
Old 2nd November 2010, 15:57     #3
Jodi

They have been talking lessons from Phil Goff?
Old 2nd November 2010, 16:02     #4
Saladin
Nothing to See Here!

"Yes we can, but it won't happen overnight"
Old 2nd November 2010, 16:37     #5
Ab
A mariachi ogre snorkel

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jodi
They have been talking lessons from Phil Goff?
Yeah, but Goff's in Opposition. He's not EXPECTED to actually achieve anything. Whereas the Democrats have had massive majorities in the House and Senate and have a President who swept into the White House on a wave of support for liberal reform. And they have achieved DICK. They're so whipped the President couldn't even appoint a Deputy Secretary of Treasury during a fucking financial crisis.
Old 2nd November 2010, 17:11     #6
fixed_truth

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ab
And they have achieved DICK.
They have been taking lessons from John Key?
Old 2nd November 2010, 17:17     #7
CCS
Stunt Pants

Uhh, no. John Key has achieved plenty. Just because he hasn't achieved what you want, doesn't mean he has failed to achieve anything

Hell, you'd be the first to complain about the amount of stuff National gets through under urgency.
Old 2nd November 2010, 18:08     #8
Jodi

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ab
Yeah, but Goff's in Opposition. He's not EXPECTED to actually achieve anything. Whereas the Democrats have had massive majorities in the House and Senate and have a President who swept into the White House on a wave of support for liberal reform. And they have achieved DICK. They're so whipped the President couldn't even appoint a Deputy Secretary of Treasury during a fucking financial crisis.
Hmm, I wondered about that. I don't think obama has his house in order. I keep hearing about Democrats crossing the floor to vote Republican on lots of issues. I'm pretty sure Obama stepped on a lot of feet on his own side to get his healthcare reform through.

so basically, all the demos have done is that healthcare reform. Yea, pretty fail when you own the president and both houses.
Old 2nd November 2010, 18:11     #9
fixed_truth

Lightbulb

Quote:
Originally Posted by CCS
Uhh, no. John Key has achieved plenty. Just because he hasn't achieved what you want, doesn't mean he has failed to achieve anything

Hell, you'd be the first to complain about the amount of stuff National gets through under urgency.
Achieved as in RESULTS. Any monkey can rush through legislation.

What happen to his claim that his economic policy would allow us to "race out of recession"? We're borrowing more to fund tax cuts yet the majority of people aren't getting what John said they would ie. "north of $50/week". Hell most workers wages have lowered in real terms. Where's the investment in infrastructure ie. his "Ultra-fast broadband" and "cycleway". What happened to not raising GST and messing with ECE. Closing the wage gap with Aussie? Increasing accountability on Politicians spending? Not to mention all the undemocratic Nanny State crap Chubby mentioned.

Of course he's done some shit but my analogy to the democrats stands ie. huge mandate no change.
Old 2nd November 2010, 18:13     #10
CCS
Stunt Pants

Rolling eyes

Your measurement of achievements != John Key/National Party measurement of achievements.
Old 2nd November 2010, 18:19     #11
fixed_truth

Taken to 'National thus far'
Old 3rd November 2010, 12:00     #12
chubby

good luck california.
introduce some rational drug laws!!!!
Old 3rd November 2010, 14:18     #13
Cynos

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ab
I'm not sure what amazes me the most: the Republican Party's ability to come back so hard from 2008's total electoral destruction, or the Democratic Party's total limp-dick emo impotence while having the House, Senate, and White House for two years.
Fucking eh. Did anyone tell them that they were actually in power? Because they still seemed cowed by the Republicans.
Old 3rd November 2010, 14:29     #14
Cyberbob

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ab
The Demo's seem to only work well when they're the little guy.
Hell, I bet it's part of their strategy. Let the reds take the house and the senate.. then the president will have something to campaign against (see also, The Blame Game™), come 2012.
Old 3rd November 2010, 15:46     #15
Vrtigo
Marginal Poster

Quote:
Originally Posted by chubby
good luck california.
introduce some rational drug laws!!!!
while it may seem like proposition 19 is a breath of fresh air, in that it decriminalizes consumption, it also introduces licences for production - meaning that average joe who wants a plant in his back yard is out of luck still. the question is, is decriminalization enough of a concession for giving up peoples rights to do as they wish in their own homes?
Old 3rd November 2010, 16:16     #16
Redneck

Not quite true -

"Persons age 21 and older may: grow marijuana at a private residence in a space of up to 25 square feet (2.3 m2) for personal use." - Wikipedia.

Ok, that's not a huge plot but you can still have a small slice of aeroponic heaven in your own home
Old 3rd November 2010, 17:55     #17
chubby

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vrtigo
while it may seem like proposition 19 is a breath of fresh air, in that it decriminalizes consumption, it also introduces licences for production - meaning that average joe who wants a plant in his back yard is out of luck still. the question is, is decriminalization enough of a concession for giving up peoples rights to do as they wish in their own homes?

baby steps, brother.
Old 3rd November 2010, 18:25     #18
ZoSo

Frank Barney sneaks back in over the U.S Marine newcomer. Despite their gains elsewhere, that's gotta drive em even more crazy heh.

Man how close is the Senate now. 50-46.

Last edited by ZoSo : 3rd November 2010 at 18:27.
Old 3rd November 2010, 18:40     #19
crocos

Quote:
Originally Posted by Redneck
Not quite true -

"Persons age 21 and older may: grow marijuana at a private residence in a space of up to 25 square feet (2.3 m2) for personal use." - Wikipedia.

Ok, that's not a huge plot but you can still have a small slice of aeroponic heaven in your own home
No height restrictions? SWEET! Line the walls of a 2.3m² frame with lighting units 20m tall...

وكل يوم كنت تعيش في العبودية
Old 3rd November 2010, 20:18     #20
Ab
A mariachi ogre snorkel

Well the Republicans/Tea Party have won a majority in the House, unbelievable though that may sound.

The USA is fucked.
Old 3rd November 2010, 20:19     #21
Lightspeed

And by extension, we're fucked.
Old 3rd November 2010, 20:27     #22
Ab
A mariachi ogre snorkel

And by "we" you mean "everyone, everwhere".
Old 3rd November 2010, 20:41     #23
zeekiorage

"I ain't even mad"

Old 3rd November 2010, 20:43     #24
Ab
A mariachi ogre snorkel

Hey, she can always fall back on witchcraft.
Old 3rd November 2010, 20:52     #25
Redneck

Prop 19 is dead, cancelling my ticket to Cali'
Old 3rd November 2010, 20:56     #26
zeekiorage

Over the last two years the Dems enjoyed a majority that Dubya never had in his whole two terms as president. Even with Dems majority Reps managed to stall a lot of bills, with some help from few crazy Dems themselves. Dems are going to be able to achieve shit fuck all after this mid-term debacle.

Old 3rd November 2010, 21:09     #27
CCS
Stunt Pants

So... is Obama a lame duck for another couple years now or what?
Old 3rd November 2010, 21:21     #28
zeekiorage

Well, he can always start another war. Maybe pick Iran or North Korea this time. Nothing gets Americans more united than the idea of spreading "freedom" to other countries. Bonus points for vaguely linking these countries to terrorism, WMDs and national security.

I think Americans should really go for Palin/O'Donnell combo in the next term. They truly deserve it.
Old 3rd November 2010, 21:29     #29
CCS
Stunt Pants

Something truly awful needs to happen to the Americans so that they realise not to vote Republican again.

I don't mean like 9/11. Some people have tried pinning that on the Repubs and it didn't really wash. I'm thinking that Palin needs to ban vaccinations to saqve everyone from autism and then half of the American population dies from preventable diseases.
Old 3rd November 2010, 21:58     #30
chubby

^^like smoking and fatness?
Old 4th November 2010, 00:19     #31
CCS
Stunt Pants

Wacked

Yeah... because those are things that Americans are currently vaccinated against.
Old 4th November 2010, 02:25     #32
Heyzoos
Robosexual

Quote:
Originally Posted by CCS
Something truly awful needs to happen to the Americans so that they realise not to vote Republican again.

I don't mean like 9/11. Some people have tried pinning that on the Repubs and it didn't really wash. I'm thinking that Palin needs to ban vaccinations to saqve everyone from autism and then half of the American population dies from preventable diseases.
If the idiot half died then this could work, unfortunately their gene pool is pretty resistant.
Old 4th November 2010, 02:59     #33
CCS
Stunt Pants

Hmm, g'call. Reminds me of the start of Idiocracy.
Old 4th November 2010, 08:59     #34
chubby

Rolling eyes

Quote:
Originally Posted by CCS
Yeah... because those are things that Americans are currently vaccinated against.
and other 'personal freedom' dogwhistles, dipshit.
Old 4th November 2010, 09:18     #35
chubby

my fave that obamas strategists(and no doubt the Reps also) have been throwing around is how a continued hostility toward the middle-east will be good for american politics...
i see it as mostly good to create a swarm of angry young muslims setting off backpack nukes in major centers by around 2018.

go gamesmanship!!!
Old 4th November 2010, 09:31     #36
blynk

Quote:
Originally Posted by CCS

What, like a massive financial collapse.
Which happened before Obama, but it seems to have stuck to him.
Old 4th November 2010, 11:22     #37
Vrtigo
Marginal Poster

the trouble with the american 2 party system is that one party is moderate and mixed, while the other is extreme and polarized - and at the same time, projecting that image onto the other.

for every bill that comes to the floor, democrats debate it and have mixed opinions, and that works well. but for the republicans, its either all for, or all against, depending on the party line.

for this reason, democrats can never get anything done when they are in power. and are blamed when things go wrong when the republicans are.

christ, the sooner the republican party disintegrates, the better.
Old 4th November 2010, 13:01     #38
Ab
A mariachi ogre snorkel

The US itself will disintegrate before that happens.
Old 4th November 2010, 16:20     #39
CCS
Stunt Pants

Quote:
Originally Posted by blynk
What, like a massive financial collapse.
Which happened before Obama, but it seems to have stuck to him.
I was thinking of something more directly attributable to the GOP. Probably not going to happen as easily as that, though.

Quote:
Originally Posted by chubby
and other 'personal freedom' dogwhistles, dipshit.
wtf are you talking about? Nothing about smoking and fatness is even remotely relevant to what I'm talking about. Besides which, Republicans are all about personal freedoms. Are you trying to tell me, in as few words as possible, that the flipside is Democrats trying to 'ban' smoking and eating shit? Cos uhh, you're kinda fucking up your attempt at making your point.
Old 4th November 2010, 16:51     #40
chubby

Snore

...and the freedom to smoke and eat shit are big parts of this 'personal freedom' that you refer to the Reps holding so dear-that are also thinning out the stupid,costing the country billions,and distracting them from the numerous (and substantial) freedoms that the Reps(and their world-wide bretheren) are costing us all.
DUH.