View Single Post
Old 17th March 2009, 18:10     #56
Dusty

From a personal level - I'm worried. Very worried.

From what I hear, they've just pulled funding that was going to (partly) build the Otago Institute of Design. This funding was confirmed by the last government, with all t's crossed and i's dotted. However - due to the current economic state, this new government has turned around and said, "Hang on a second, actually - what they others guys said, scratch that...we're gonna probably pull the plug on you".
This has put both the Otago Polytech, and the Otago University into quite a bit of a state. As the site it was to be built on was purchased by the UoO, with the development of the institute to paid for partly by the OP (and the rest from government funding).
This Design Institute was to be the largest and most comprehensive in Australasia (essentially - the 'go to' place for design in NZ).
What this has resulted in, is wasted money (The UoO spent a fair bit of penny from what I understand on this site), wasted resources (planners, developers, time, energy which equates to wages and salary), and yet another building to become derelict in Dunedin (which currently sits on the site intended for the OIoD campus).
What that means for designers (be it product, fashion, media, advertising, marketing...etc etc etc) is that they will be forced to look (as usual) overseas for jobs or study.
This isn't creating business - it's devaluing it.
And that's the "Key" word here (pun intended) - businesses are devalued under National.

What I've seen so far is National seem more interested in (quiet feebly) softening the blow for those who have lost their jobs - or inevitably will. Rather than creating new jobs and business (unless your in Auckland, which you can then work building your frickin roads).

We have a gaping wound, which National are trying to fix with a sticky plaster.

There's more focus on pointing out the previous Governments foibles, because in actual fact, Key is going "WTF do we do guys??".
I mean seriously, you can see it in his face.

He really has no clue WTH is going on...

"Hi, I'm John Key, leader of the National party - and I'm dead serious"

"Now, relax, don't get yourselves all worked up over this here 'econamic erupshun'. Me 'n ol 'Billy Ing' will sort it out"

Billy Ing: "Hey! How yoo doin'?"

"Now, I know how to stimulate an economy - if you know what I mean"

"Also, very recently - I took part in a staring match with the British PM.....ol' wassisname. I totally kicked his ass (secretly, I was trying really hard to kill him with my eye lasers)"

"Heh...heh...heh....you guys totally look the same..."

Last edited by Dusty : 17th March 2009 at 18:14.