View Single Post
Old 17th March 2009, 15:29     #48
CCS
Stunt Pants

Quote:
Originally Posted by caffiend
CCS - I was also wrong to single out Fiordland actually; looking at the above map they'd be covered by a 'Southland' regional tax.
Sure, going by that map. But we still don't know the number of motorists in those regions and how much money could be gathered from their tax. You'd need some serious statistics and some time to sit down and work it all out so that the motorists in a region are able to fund their needs.

Inevitably there are some regions who will fall short or will always be limited by the money they can extract from the petrol tax. Although you could make a reasonable argument for how a regional petrol tax would work, I just don't think it's really feasible nor practical. Good on paper maybe, not so good in practice.

I very much believe that all the petrol tax from around the country should go into a pool from which the country's roading and public transport needs can be met. The governement can choose to add money to this and there can be negotiation with councils to help fund local projects - which is, AFAIK how it's done at the moment.

What I'm not certain about is what happens to the money from the petrol tax we're already paying. Where does that go?