View Single Post
Old 5th August 2022, 07:58     #43361
wazza
*flex*

Quote:
Originally Posted by DrTiTus
I'm not a gamer - but my friend's 11/12ish year old son wants a Fortnite computer, and I've got a spare computer that I can give him. My question is - is WiFi still a bag of shit to try and game with? Or am I just too old and that is no longer the case? Or do I just not tell him that there's actually a better world out there and just let him die a lot? :P

I'm strictly Ethernet till I die, I like my 1Gbps file copies, and I barely play games, so my experience doesn't count.

What do you reckon? Tell him about Ethernet and running a cable on the floor or keep it quiet and it's good enough for now?
6 years ago i built my stepson a fortnite pc and got him a usb wifi dongle(something similar to this https://www.pbtech.co.nz/product/NET...900-HIGH-GAIN). he was upstairs in a bedroom and connected/synced at > Gbps speed). he had no issues with latency(i run a p2p server 24/7 via ethernet downstairs(close to the ont). mileage may vary.

recommend ssd, 16gb ram, 4th gen+ i7 + gtx 1060 6gb for 1080p min. truth be told you should be able to build a 12th gen i3 12100 inc case/psu/mobo/ram/ssd/win10 lic(urcdkeys.com) minus gpu for about $600-$700. i have a gtx 1080 sitting around unused. has a little bit of sentimental value though. hah.

wifi is great these days..