View Single Post
Old 28th December 2006, 21:57     #1
Kryten

What are you reading?

I've been on a massive noir kick recently and have been burning through several authors at an alarming rate. In the last few months, I've caught up on all of Michael Connelly's and Robert Crais's books (Harry Bosch and Elvis Cole are their respective main characters - the two author's are friends IRL and the characters have cameo's in each others stories) and have read quite a few of Ian Rankin and James Ellroy's stories (and for a laugh, Lawrence Block's Bernie Rodenbarr is always good filler).

Lately I've been reading books by a bloke called Dennis Lehane (probably most known for penning "Mystic River") who writes gritty detective thrillers (Mystic River is not part of his main series, which stars Patrick Kenzie and Angie Gennaro) - these books are significantly more brutal than the other authors I've listed above but are pretty damn awesome - his first novel, "A Drink Before The War" is not his best by a long shot but they definitely warrant being read in order.

Santa bought me Bryce Courtenay's "Sylvia" which I'm slightly ambivalent about but will probably get finished before I go back to work.

On the sci-fi side, I'm filling in the gaps waiting for the next Robin Hobb and GRRM books by reading Lois McMaster Bujold - her books are filling the sour taste left from some of David Weber's Honor Harrington books which have turned into just rambling messes.

/me stares at the pile of Tad Williams and China Mieville in the corner

Last edited by Kryten : 28th December 2006 at 21:58.