View Single Post
Old 10th July 2020, 03:53     #846
Nothing

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nich
Now we're getting somewhere, thank you.

I am going to settle for subsets of fascism because I don't see how any western country is anywhere close to a full spectrum fascist state.
You're welcome. But look, the fact that western countries haven't yet become explicitly fascist doesn't mean that we needn't concern ourselves with extant undercurrents of fascism. And in fact, given that inverted totalitarianism is a thing, we might think that we have a strong reason to be vigilant against the sort of bigoted fascist beliefs that might result in vulnerable minorities being targeted.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nich
White nationalists are a joke and attract bugger all to their rallies
Depends on where you're looking, it's certainly the case that this is more true in New Zealand than it is in America, for example. But even here in New Zealand, the March 15th mosque shootings were arguably a very real act of stochastic terrorism.

Moreover, since BLM seems to be a topic coming up in this discussion a fair bit, I think it's relevant to point out that the events in Charlottesville would suggest that your assertion about white nationalists being a joke is at the very least false in America.