View Single Post
Old 5th November 2020, 15:40     #154
Lightspeed

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ab
^^ agreed 100%. But, bigger picture that I'm really scared about: rationalism has failed. Liberal ideas have failed. The Enlightenment is over. This is the era of feelings and tribalism and id now.
I would say the era of tribalism started around the start of the 20th century, it's the whole basis for the Nation-State paradigm. I'm hoping we're coming to the end of that as it's something we're becoming aware of. I remember it being raised in a discussion literally two decades ago and grappling with the unfamiliar idea, but now it's a widely understood concept.

The era of feelings is a reaction to the past era of unfeeling. We killed our empathy to go to war. We fit everyone into a box to build human war machines, regardless of how well they fit. Now the pendulum has swung the other way as we've deconstructed a lot of that.

What I wonder about rationalism and the Enlightment is in fact they've succeeded very well. Our considered thinking has led us much deeper into the complex nature of the universe. But we've come so far there's a cost bringing people up to that level and we're not paying it.

My feeling is that once a real collapse starts happening the incompetent will fall away, leaving the competent to rebuild. At some point people will have suffered enough. But it's a question how much suffering that is. Our history points to a great capacity for suffering.