View Single Post
Old 16th July 2010, 02:04     #16
CCS
Stunt Pants

Quote:
Originally Posted by ChaosWulf
Jolly good, old chap. Now, for a second, I want you to imagine that I'm not talking about you. In fact, I'm not even talking about ME. There is a world out there full of factories, supermarkets etc.
A few years ago I was doing production planning for a few factories and it was a bit of an eye opener for me. The people who spend 12 hours a day standing on concrete floors glueing your weetbix packets and carding the wool for your new carpets - they don't know shit about employment law. And their employers know it.
Unions like the EPMU are the sole (loud and irritating) voice that stands between the workers and the managers, who I have personally seen fire people (on the spot, regardless of any employment law we have in the country) because they refused to work one Saturday or just pissed off the wrong asshole middle manager. Manufacturing is a dying business in this country anyway, long gone are the days when Joe Bloggs could walk out of a shit job at a tyre factory and straight into another shit job at a paper mill; so having your large factory bosses able to fire these guys at whim and deny them even the chance to negotiate is adding just another burden to the lower class. But hey, you're not lower class, why should you care? They just need to work harder, right? Because 12 hour days in absolutely disgusting conditions doing mind-numbing work for $13 per hour just isn't tough enough.
Good call.

One thing though:
Quote:
Originally Posted by ChaosWulf
Adding insult to injury, the employee can't even turn to a union for help in negotiations because they will now need their employers consent to even join a union.
I'm going off the Stuff article here. My understanding is the proposal is that unions be required to gain consent to enter a workplace (and I agree that's a shitty proposal). What I'm not seeing is anything about employees needing their employers consent to join a union. Fair analysis?