View Single Post
Old 3rd July 2008, 12:20     #4028
BadNova

Quote:
Originally Posted by SpaceCowboy
so if i kill someone in my car because i decided not to be courteous, i should be able to get let off with a warning, yea?
IANAL, but if you are a pedestrian and you rush out into the middle of a car thoroughfare without paying due care because you believe you have the right of way when you do not, well... whose fault it is comes down to whether the driver had enough time to stop before hitting you - from the legal speed allowed in the car park - I would guess. I wonder what the legal situation is with speed limits in car parks?

I imagine the same rules would apply as if someone rushed across an unmarked street in front of you and you hit them. If you were doing 60 in a 50 zone and coulda stopped if you'd followed the speed limit, you'd be in trouble. If you were doing 50 and someone ran right out in front of you and there was nothing you could reasonably do... why would you be punished?

There is some courtesy involved here, you stop because not stopping would make you a douchebag. Hence the name "courtesy crossing" I suppose.

Last edited by BadNova : 3rd July 2008 at 12:23.