Thread: Evolution
View Single Post
Old 18th July 2000, 14:41     #178
smudge
Ich Bin Ein Grey Lynner

Don't quite agree with you Whiplash... I don't think life happens by chance, life (organisms, us) is tenacious, and causes it's own survival.

What I means is : Initial chance happenings cause amino acids/proteins/etc to form, but once they form eventually an equilibrium state is reached, at which point they are stable. Then chance happenings/environmental changes cause the jump to the next level in development, cells. After millions or billions of years, that sexual reproduction developed, and evolution began happening. This isn't *purely* chance, the make up of the universe, chemistry, etc causes this to be possible. Perhaps there is a 'God' that caused this, science doesn't attempt to say yes or no, what it does say is that taken literally the Bible doesn't match up with the observable evidence.

We don't know how cells originally formed, we don't know how multicellular organisms appeared. There are at least four 'steps' in the development of humans that current science can't explain. Going from a protein to a cell is a massive step, which will take science decades or centuries to understand.

I find Buddhism is by far the most interesting religion, as it least directly contradicts what I can observe in the world, and what I have learnt about how the world works. Just can't believe that reincarnation shite :\