View Single Post
Old 27th November 2020, 11:59     #1041
Lightspeed

Quote:
Originally Posted by StN
Please excuse my white privilege, but under what circumstances does a Government agency have recourse to uplift newborns? Are these from really young mothers? If so, I don't understand why the family unit isn't the best place to ensure safety of the child. Or is it related to a reported unsafe environment?

I really don't understand. The numbers quoted do seem out of proportion for the population breakdown, and I always understood that in Maori culture there was a tradition of newborns sometimes being looked after by Grandparents - but that the extended family unit was inclusive.

Enlighten me - the news reports do seem to be purposefully vague on the background.

/edit - and upon further reading, it seems I'm not the only one flabbergasted by this.
My experience is the more you understand the more confusing things get. There are so many rabbit holes to tumble down. It's a big fucking mess that only grows bigger because we keep brushing it under the carpet. So we can save money.

The reason why I cite Nick Smith gutting ACC's sensitive claims service as a source of these problems is raped people make pretty bad parents, if they're captured by their trauma. Which you have to be careful saying, cause you can be accused of victim blaming. Then there's the likelihood their rapist(s) are a part of their close community, which their children will be growing up in.

Racism has currency that domestic violence doesn't, so making the issue about children being taken from Maori is more effective at getting the public's attention. But the issues are much more complex than that, focusing our attention when we'd be better off with a broad view. There's no reason to expect that just because a person is Maori they have wholesome Maori grandparents waiting in the wings.

National tossed out the best publication we had for teasing out these complex issues in a robust and disciplined manner:

Social Policy Journal Of New Zealand Te Puna Whakaaro 1993-2011.

I agree Labour is dragging their heel addressing these problems themselves, but it's much easier to tear something down than build it up.