View Single Post
Old 18th September 2019, 17:38     #163
fixed_truth

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ab
(Real world) True, but (ideal world) who the fuck cares? Stallman doesn't have a history of defending paedophlia, he has a history of not instinctively rejecting it without qualification. I've sat in expensive university courses* and bounced around exactly the same ideas that Stallman is being unpersoned for. What is paedophilia? Is it psychological attraction to child bodies, or a legal definition based on statute? Ages of consent are arbitrary and differ from place to place for no reason! issues like agency and harm and consent and personhood are all relevant (which is worse: healthy caring relationship with an emotionally stable and mature consenting 15-year-old, or abusive relationship with a mentally deficient immature 18-year old?)! What if a sex partner is a mature adult with a growth disorder and presents as pre-pubescent - is that paedophilia? Grownups can have these discussions without having their professional lives ended.
I definitely think that there is a place and need for these conversations. I also think that declaring that there's nothing wrong with consensual sex between an adult & child goes a bit past having a discussion. I'm not sure the context in which this was stated but I'm assuming having aspergers means he's tone deaf to the nuance of how to have these discussions safely. Even if he is just breaking down words, the truth of that statement (ie peoples experiences) is outside his field and I think it does come across as defending paedophlia. Ideally you'd have these investigations and conversations before making those kinds of statements.

Quote:
14 September 2019 (Sex between an adult and a child is wrong)

Many years ago I posted that I could not see anything wrong about sex between an adult and a child, if the child accepted it.

Through personal conversations in recent years, I've learned to understand how sex with a child can harm per psychologically. This changed my mind about the matter: I think adults should not do that. I am grateful for the conversations that enabled me to understand why.
https://stallman.org/archives/2019-j...child_is_wrong)