View Single Post
Old 8th October 1999, 17:20     #62
Bringoutyerdead

Oh boy.

I've got a story for you lads now

Last night I was the excited and lucky recipient of correspondance from the respectable and esteemed New Zealand Insurance. The letter was on company letterhead and there were two clearly seperate parts.

The first was a standard "we accuse you of being liable" form letter. No real harm there.

The second was a *hand-written* paragraph, reading as follows:

"Your insurance company has already admitted liability on your behalf- however please pass this letter to them."

End.

Alarm bells should be clanging in the mins of anybody who has car insurance. My company *admitting* liability without even receiving my consent?

"Say it isn't so, James!"

It's not so, boys

One phonecall to AMI (my insurance) gleamed quite clearly that no such exchange took place, written or otherwise between AMI and NZI. Therefore as I and my insurance company is concerned, the letter is bullshit. This leaves the disturbing question of exactly what this letter's purpose may have been, however.

Originally I assumed it was just NZI trying to frighten me into accepting liability and therefore *forcing* my insurance to pay for the O'Neills' damage. But oh how so much better the real explanation was

A subsequent phonecall to NZI and a conversation with an operator didn't achieve much- other than that the writer of the letter I received did so on account of a document she had received from my insurer.

WTF? Yes, what the firetruck indeed...

Another call to AMI: no document exists. Call NZI and get several copies of this mystery document.

Call # 8 million to NZI and I'm finally in touch with "Ane", the lady who wrote the letter. She says she is holding the letter from my insurer, admitting liability. I say it can't be true and she says it is. I ask who the letter is from.

A Mr. Graeme Day, claims manager for EIG-Ansvar Insurance Ltd.

I plead ignorance, I had no idea who this man was and I certainly had never even heard of this mystery 3rd company which seems to have unwelcomely involved itself in proceedings.

Then it twigged. Wait for it

I rang EIG-Ansvar:

"EIG-Ansvar, how may I help you?"
"Yes, do you employ a Mike O'Neill?"
"Yes we certainly do, would you like to speak with him?"
"No thank you that's fine."

End.

So, in summary for those of you who haven't sussed it out yet

Mike O'Neill got his workmate Graeme to pose as my insurer, and to admit liability on my behalf, *as my insurer*; thusly prompting NZI to send me the letter I received last night.

So I decided to go into NZI Queen Street, in the Fay Richwite building. Spoke to Ane, and got a written statement from her on company letterhead explaining the mixup; and a copy of the letter from Graeme to NZI.

Some snippets from the letter (Verbatim):

-----

'I have been involved in the processing of motor vehicle claims for over 25 years. I consider myself to be very experienced in deciding "who is at fault" when dealig with motor vehicle accidents.'

'Hayley O'Neill was legally on the carriageway and reversing. She correctly ensured that the road was clear behind her. James was entering the carriageway and therefore it was his responsibility to ensure the carriageway was clear.'

And the best of them all:

'I agree that Hayley O'Neill was somewhat silly to be reversing on the carriageway, but this does not make her at fault in causing the accident.'

-----

Perhaps this chap might sound rather more convincing had he not written like a 13 year old. That final statement all but admits guilt on her behalf; and WTF was that about "legally reversing along the carriageway"? Er, that ain't legal

As for "ensured the road was clear behind her", does that mean she deliberately ran into my car? Either that, or that comment is bullshit. You decide, I already have

Claims forms have all been filled out now. I'm told by NZI (party responsible for deciding who is liable) that I can expect a result by Monday.

If it is not favourable then I will continue with court proceedings.

I'm also considering getting family solicitors Russell, McVeigh, McKenzie, Bartleet and Co. to send a letter on my behalf to EIG-Ansvar and Mr. Day; to express their feelings that his interference in a claim involving neither him or his company is totally inappropriate.

I'm licking my lips in anticipation

Sorry about the mega-long rant, but I had a lot to explain. Flame away!