Thread: Player History
View Single Post
Old 29th May 2003, 18:31     #165
M3NT0R

Rolling eyes Avoided this for ages... well

Where to begin... forgive me I'm shit with the calander times... Here comes a long post

I guess in early 1997 was when I began playing Quake TF.

Peviously I had been in a few CTF clans only one of note was ESM before the clan began to split and randomly invite peeps, under an alias that I will keep hidden for fear of Dos / Vertagoat and Waldo finding out who I really am! (These names here will mean next to nothing here to many here atm, as there "new" alais of some very old CTF players, who I still play games with (DAoC).)

From CTF, I used to play on the odd USA server at un-godly times with vanilla quake and later quakeworld. 6fps sub 350-450 pings, yes that high it was the norm back then, the wheel was still been inviented in the world of modem technology. during my play I heard of a new "mod" that was released and decided to join one of these new servers, after a night of downloading files I got my first taste of TF and wanted more.

Dunno how or why it happened but over time more and more NZ CTF players began playing at un-godly early morning times and a few wise people, for some reason Bob Magill come to mid, im not sure who was directly responsible for the first NZ server but he comes close he founded one of the first successful NZ TF clans, more on that in a bit...

Eventually from these CTF players and a few more NZ first server was born, im not sure if it was an xtra server or an ihug server (Think it was ihug). Anyways this server was a PIG a real bitch. For the first few months or less, you coudnt RESPAWN!!! you had to reconnect each death, but despite this little set back it became a rather popular server and more and more people started playing in force, it was nothing like TF these days, hell Half the player skins were not even in the game yet.

Sometime in Mid 1997 3 Clans were forged, one I can't remeber followed by FFP, MoD (The ORGIANAL Means of Distruction). This is when my time in NZ TF really began, I stopped playing on the horrid high ping USA servers to play on our new local NZ server.

Somehow after playing on servers with Daiblo, Rhybak, spyda, butcher, badaim and a few others, i decided to join on of the clans and promptly found myself in some clan very beifly before being asked to join MoD and going down that path, diablo was in it so I followed.

Be it knowin at the end of MoD's days in this origial form, I was knowin as [Mod]Demon. (NOT the deamon guy of these days. just to be clear.)

Clan games back then were rare events, there were no leagues, just a set time real early in the morning like 6-7 am when you played to get the best ping, as EVRYONE was on dail-up. IT was great fun. Even peeps like daiblo would get up heh, that pritty hardcore for him.

Then sometime later that year due to the new popular mod a new server poped up, and NZ had 2 TF servers... ROCK ON!

Eventually time went on and after a bit of internal MoD fighting someones younger brother, think the alais "BadAim" along with "Anthrax", decided they would try and keep a dying clan alive and made the second incarnation of MoD (still Means of Distruction).

I think the only thing I remember here was TTTT was declined! from memory due to his "punk ass shenanagins hah!", but then was retrialed (and I think got in, dunno if he joined- was ages ago). Soon after I took my leave as TF2 (Teamfortess2) was soon to be released along with quake2. We used to all chat in game about how much better TF2 would be than Quake2, and how people would never swap.

Me and Diablo decided we would try Q2 and make a guild called [666] hence the infamous 666Daiblo, 666Demon, 666Badaim tags, but alais Quake2 was too "shit" to run on our fine tuned Q1 systems (i.e we coudnt run q2 it requred like a good Comp!).

Sometime after that we went our own seperate ways and begane freelancing in and out of various "in" clans, eventually teaming up with SOG, HellDog, and a few others who were all going to join some new guild TFT (SOG was 2 years below me at school at this time and his mate helldog (i think) used to play lots with us and some of the "vet" TF'ers, sometime around here I met some of the new TF players that are now the "vets" of today .

After Declining to join TFT, I took my leave from NZ gaming and headed overseas...

After a year an a bit away from the NZ game community, and a few games in the few UK (england) TF guilds league, my Big OE ended and Back to NZ I had come.

By now it must have been 1999-2000, I forget, but BOY had NZ TF changed, there were 100 of new people with names I didnt remeber only a few old timers "Purge" and gang along with the now "bad ass" LAH boys stood out...

Somehow I began playing again under the NEW alais of Mentor as my old one was now taken deamon (bless him), as i had been long time gone. AoW and a few more clans later and I made the mistake of tring to organise and support the NZ TF community .

Shit happened the politics began to get too heavey and started pulling under some of the best players I have ever seen in TF, that were still about, till eventually one by one many of them left to play other games or quit all together.

most know my histoy from here... hell I even was asked to moderate this board which I stealth read still to this day...

Allthough its not like it was in the good old days when TTTT was the only "fool", a fool with class none the less . It got messy somewhere times changed and so did I.... It still the NZ TF community tho.

Where am I now?

I disappered when I got me a new Misses and stated a new Uni course. I spent any gaming time I had playing DAoC, a MMPORPG under the alias Kervokain, and later Kervo in the guild UTU. Which I reciently decieded to take a break from...

Currently Im finishing my last year of a 4 year BIT (like a BSC in COMP's). And looking for a new misses :P

As for gaming, I've started playing TF again as a high ping bitch under the alais Deaddog... still tying to find out whats what its been like a year... again. Looking forward to WoW (world of warcraft)

Here ends my bordom and ramblings... missed out lots, messed up lots of dates no doubt and some of the shit might be off a bit, but thats my memory for ya.

Cheers Ment.

P.S WHO THE HELL ARE ALL THESE NEW ALAIS PEOPLE THAT PLAY NOW!!!