View Single Post
Old 29th July 2008, 23:49     #199
crocos

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rince
fireplace 1 & 2 are of my fireplace - the 1st being metered off the flames, and the 2nd metered off the wood.

Question: what are people's techniques for shooting in conditions like this?
I'm assuming you're wanting to capture the detail of the flames.

Going into fire I usually go for around ISO 400 or 800. I shoot off three pics using the exposure bracketing function with the camera in Aperture Priority mode (so it's got the depth of field I want), work out by looking at the histograms & the pics (check for blown highlights mainly) what shutter speed I need, switching to manual & transfer the settings, mount on tripod is generally not needed, as you're better to try & slightly underexpose then enhance a little in post, but can be useful if you're wanting to do a HDR or panoramic photo.

These two were taken at ISO 800, 1/100 and 1/50 sec respectively. Lens was a Lensbaby 3G @ f2.8, sweet-spot centred to capture the detail on the log.

I prefer the 1st one, which has a VERY leftward-bias histogram, with a slight blow-out caused by the flame showing over the grate at the bottom.

If I wanted more detail of the actual flames themselves, I'd go for higher ISO and shutter, drop the aperture down to 2.0, and clean up any excess noise in post with Noise Ninja.

وكل يوم كنت تعيش في العبودية

Last edited by crocos : 29th July 2008 at 23:51.