Thread: Evolution
View Single Post
Old 18th July 2000, 15:02     #180
MadLep

Necro: "Or maybe there really is a god and it's just that mans interpretation of it fails because he cant comprehend such a vast creature"

Bingo. That's pretty much what I think.

I believe (note - I said "I believe", not "I know") that there exists some higher intelligence inside or outside of this universe. It is conceited and arrogant to believe that we are at the pinacle of the tree of intelligence in the universe just because we can't see anything higher than us. Especially when that tree shows such complexity and infinite scalability at the levels existing below us that we can see.

Although we probably won't be able to comprehend those higher levels. In the same way that a single bacteria (probably) can't comprehend what a human is, we cannot comprehend what superior intelligence exists above us is, or what form it takes.

Religion is just a human system of trying to comprehend the incomprehensible. It gets a little bit right, but leaves a *lot* of gaps through human misinterpretation, and misunderstanding.

IMHO everything can be explained by science. Not present day science, but by science that we do not have.

Eventually science and religion converge at a point where we can understand everything - including god (however you define it), the origin of the universe, where we came from and where we are going.

I doubt that we'll ever be able to comprehend all those things in our human state though. We'll have to "evolve more" first.

------------------
clan |o-bot| - Powering the propaganda machines of several small dictatorships.