View Single Post
Old 17th March 2009, 15:34     #49
CCS
Stunt Pants

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hory
You seem to conflating funding of all transport projects with this special regional tax which was meant to allow regional councils to set their own petrol taxes for special projects in their region.
Possibly I am. And whilst it makes sense - on the surface - to charge Aucklanders more petrol tax for a special project like electrifying rail, I think 9.5 cents is pretty fucking extreme. My problem is when a small region has some special project but cannot fund that project with a local region petrol tax because there just isn't enough money. They either crank the up the tax for their region by whatever the shortfall is, which for all anyone knows could be an extra 70 cent tax increase; or they get extra money allocated by the government. That's when I say "Why the fuck should my money pay for some hick town? I'm an Aucklander, I've already paid my share for my own special project!"