View Single Post
Old 18th August 2023, 16:21     #105
DrTiTus
HENCE WHY FOREVER ALONE

Cheers Savage I like it too - I've been in hiding trying to sort my life out, but I wanted to share this one.

Quote:
Originally Posted by [Malks] Pixie
I'd be curious to know do you run a separate mastering process or just do it all as part of your mix in your DAW?
This hasn't been separately mixed or mastered - I haven't listened to it in the car yet, so I'll probably tweak things after that. My process is mainly just EQ and levels while making it, and adjusting the layers as I go in the DAW. I did slap a "FL Soundgoodizer" on the master [standard], but it's set quite low, so it's doing something but it's subtle rather than leaning on it to do all the work for me. I haven't even listened through my "monitoring headphones" yet, it's all been through my Logitech 2.1

Quote:
my laptop crashed hard - have a friend trying to get data off the hard drive. Unfortunately I've got 7 tracks of an album on there - figures that when I find my writing groove my technology dies.

So going to have to source a new machine (my replacement laptop is fine for work stuff but will in no way run Reaper).
Eeek. Is it a spinning disk or an SSD? With an SSD you probably can't even replace the controller board if you were desperate. Hopefully it's a corrupted filesystem rather than a dead drive. Gotta keep an eye on those SMART alerts. I don't think Windows does a good job of letting you know proactively, but Linux throws up messages in the logs.

I work on a machine with an SSD, but I save/copy all my data to a network drive [spinning disk], and then that drive is rsynced to a machine with a software RAID array [3 x spinning disk in RAID 5] which I kick off manually every now and then. I even have a 2TB MyCloud at my mate's place that has yet another copy of my original work that I can't replace by torrenting if my house burns down. It might be overkill and an inefficient use of disk space, but when it comes to copies of data, one is none. I lost my work early on, and I swore I'd never let it happen again. It sucks man. I feel your pain.

I've got spare desktops I could potentially donate to your cause if you don't want to spend money. I don't like laptops for music production - mobile CPUs are shite compared to desktop CPUs, they're made to be low power/thermal design, so they're usually pretty restricted. But I can understand if you want one computer to rule them all and you want something portable. What CPU was in your previous laptop that you were happy with? I've been wanting to get rid of some computers, and I wanted to find someone in need that will appreciate them. Looks like you're in need. At the very least I've got a very small and low power machine (~15W at the wall) you can put on your LAN and use as a network drive for backups.