View Single Post
Old 9th June 2020, 14:26     #15349
Cyberbob

I won't agree with you on many of those points, but I will absolutely say there is very little difference, and that's the problem.
Serious news media should not be aligned to a comedy current event show.

I might have my bias blinders on, but I see very minimal propaganda or partisan promotion on Last Week Tonight, Daily Show, etc. I see them point out injustices on account of one party more than another. I see them highlight hypocrisy on one party more than the other. But it's a highlighting of the injustice and hypocrisy, and the inaction of those with the power to change things.

For Jon's Daily Show, the comedy of errors that was the Bush Administration was great material. Stephen Colbert's Colbert Show amplified that with his persona.
For Last Week Tonight, Trump has been a source of material. Funny, yes. Breaking issues down and simplifying so the general population can consume, yes.

But again, these are all entertainment shows. If you recognise that they are level with serious news media, then I'll agree with you. But recognise that as the crux of the problem.

Last edited by Cyberbob : 9th June 2020 at 14:30.