View Single Post
Old 13th April 2012, 22:24     #32162
dylan
Huh?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ab
Dunno, I'm gonna play devil's advocate here and say... why are you being an IT Mexicant when you could be an IT Mexican?

IT costs that company money. Having customers - that is, people who aren't part of the company - makes that company money. Being nice to people and making them happily-disposed towards the company is often a key part of getting those people to decide to become customers. Marketing, in other words.

So, rather than looking at this from an IT point of view and shitting yourself about the potential security disaster that could result from giving Wifi access to the public, why not see it from a marketing POV: making people like the company might help them decide to be customers or make them decide to keep being customers, and giving them wifi is a way of making life easier for them and people feel positively-inclined towards companies that make life easier for them, and it sounds like front office have been giving away Wifi access already, so why not make it as easy as possible for everyone and mitigate the potential harm?

Start from a position of "Wifi access is going to happen whether I like it or not because that's good customer relations" and then work backwards to how you can make it safe, rather than sperging out about how the front office staff are retards. Why didn't you say to your customer "hey let me think about it for a few minutes and then I'll get back to you with a proposal as to how we can accomplish what you want without endangering the internal infrastructure of the company?"

I mean, I dont know what your relationship is with this outfit - you refer to them as a customer rather than as "front desk" so I presume you're outsourced 3rd-party support. But I would have seen this as an opportunity to leave YOUR customer with warm fuzzy feelings about how helpful you are by helping them give THEIR customers warm fuzzy feelings about them.

Fuck, setting up a wifi hotspot DMZ isn't rocket surgery. Having a customer think "fuck I hate IT, what a bunch of unhelpful cunts" and give away access to the internal network unmonitored anyway probably ain't the greatest outcome.
Yeah, I hear ya, and I agree with you.

I have always been a friendly and helpful IT person and save my sperginess for threads like these

My account of what happened was overly condensed. That conversation for example was about 15 minutes long and did include detailed and patient discussion of alternate ways of doing things. At the end of which I was basically told to stfu and do it anyways.

My gear grinding came from the viewpoint of going out of my way to try and help someone achieve what they wanted to achieve, yet to get treated with disdain, suspicion, and borderline rudeness, I just didn't write my post well enough to convey it.

edit: I am totally stealing the Mexican / Mexicant thing, it's fucking epic

Last edited by dylan : 13th April 2012 at 22:27.