View Single Post
Old 2nd February 2019, 19:58     #40
Ab
A mariachi ogre snorkel

I don't see how nervous middle-class parents put pressure on their kids to succeed at school and university translates into the victimhood culture examined in the book. I could see that turning into stressed students burning out chasing grades for their parents' approval Azn-styles, but not "oh noes you are negating my right to exist by appropriating that culture" or whatever fucking buzzwords the kids use these days.

Quote:
Lukianoff wanted to call the book “Disempowered” because, as he tells Jaschik, “We [Haidt and Lukianoff] believe we [society at large] have unwittingly taught a generation of students the mental habits of anxious, depressed, polarized people, and we need to rethink how we do everything from parenting in K-12, through, of course, higher education.”
Yeah, I heard Haidt mention this in a podcast recently. I think the title of the book was chosen by the publisher, and it does get the discussion off on a kinda confrontational foot, especially for people who haven't read it. The title of the book makes you think the thesis is "check out these precious little snowflakes" but really it's "the Academy is failing an entire generation of learners if we don't understand what is happening to them".