Thread: nCoV 2019
View Single Post
Old 4th October 2022, 18:14     #3001
Nothing

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nich
That's a bingo!

This particular dataset, less than an hour.
Okay, so, given that you didn't indicate you *do* have some stats/data relevant quals, I'll proceed with the rest of this on the assumption that you don't.

I did do some stats during my studies. Not enough that I would call myself an expert; not even close, really. I'm still a baby beginner stats guy, even after having done the equivalent of a stats major (~1.25 years of full time study on nothing but stats). I know enough to know that I basically know fuck all.

On more than one occasion, I've had some anti-vaxxer with no stats or data background at all point me at some data set or another and claim that it shows something or other, only for me to open the data and examine it myself and find that it actually shows the literal opposite of what they were claiming it showed. The problem was that their data-illiterate ass just had no idea how to actually understand the data.

That data you've linked to there on the UK ONS site is a big, complicated data set. I could spend a whole week going through it and I still wouldn't be comfortable drawing any solid conclusions from it without having a huge bunch of questions answered by the team that collected it first. For you, someone with no statistical background, to pull some conclusions out of it in an hour only tells me that you have literally no fucking idea what you're talking about.

Last edited by Nothing : 4th October 2022 at 18:16.