View Single Post
Old 24th January 2018, 15:41     #13
Cyberbob

1) I know I'm slowly turning into a grumpy old man when I talk about the anonymity of the early internet - you wouldn't dare use your real name, or discuss anything about your personal life. These days it's a barrier to entry. If you don't share your full name, the city you life in, your cats name, your mothers maiden name, all at the door - you're not allowed in.
The issue now is that so many online services use facebook as an avenue for access. Sign up for yet another lot of credentials, or just click the facebook api button and give big blue yet another big data source.
I would hate to think how much content is out there with my real identity attached to it, even with me actively avoiding it most of the time.

2) The machine learning based curation has got out of hand in social media, to the point where i never see a viewpoint that differs my own, and my online persona is in this bubble where only similar views and interests get through. I can't google for "weddings" without the top matches being about Auckland based wedding photographers. Sometimes it's handy, for sure, but it's a delicate balance. On a more global scale I'd see this as way worse than people give it credit for, it'll have everyone double down on their values as the reinforcement comes in droves, rather than expose them to alternatives. Get an anti-vaxxer to google for vaccinations and see what comes up. Nothing good I bet.

Last edited by Cyberbob : 24th January 2018 at 15:43.