View Single Post
Old 5th May 2017, 11:12     #35
DrTiTus
HENCE WHY FOREVER ALONE

In the same way there are various "levels" of physical assault (assault with intent to injure, assault with a deadly weapon, common assault, injuring with/without intent, etc.), perhaps rape and sexual assault needs to be treated in a similar way.

While I admit I don't have the perfect set of categories, perhaps there could be recognition of deception used to gain consent, or consent given in an intoxicated state, or consent by intimidation (being too scared to say anything seems to be a common theme). These offenses might be met with fines/reparation rather than criminal conviction (like how speeding tickets are not crimes you declare to employers, although they are on your record). Repeat offences would establish a pattern of anti-social behaviour similar to being a rapist and could be dealt with as necessary.

It might set the bar a little lower so women are not afraid to speak up, men might find themselves having to think about their actions/morals, and if more women are speaking up about the same man repeatedly, corrective action can be taken. I don't know if less serious charges would spoil any of your weekend plans, but it does seem that too many sexual assaults go unreported/unconvicted.

Thoughts?