Thread: nCoV 2019
View Single Post
Old 3rd July 2020, 18:00     #890
Lightspeed

You make a good point, alas IMO the last "glut of evidence" was WWII. It was firmly demonstrated to deluded leaders and their followers what actual competence is.

As has been pointed out, our formal systems of knowledge are still relatively healthy. If they're declining it's because of a neglect felt everywhere.

It's informal systems of knowledge that are failing, something I think we see even here. We get wrapped up churning over painful shit that generates no outcome whatever conclusion we draw. Figuring out not what's true or not, but how do we engage with each other given the divisions we have and the need to coherent action.

China has a way. I think it's awful. Upon hearing how the Chinese government was talking about consequences for the civil disruption in Hong Kong, I reflected on how that's a one-way street, given Hong Kong citizens are unable to impose consequences on the government, a right Westerners enjoy as given.

At this point though all our options are awful. They get worse by the day because we're unable to face these awful options.

We know what's outside. We need to look inside. That's what we're ignoring right now. That's what I propose.

For instance, there is no pressing need to know how effective masks are. It's the standard of care we have, so until robust evidence comes along that's what we do. But who hasn't been caught up in their own narrative about masks? That's bullshit that's costing lives. It's not USEFUL for us to be cooking up these stories for ourselves, we NEED to have trust in institutions, else we die preventable deaths.

But we don't and that's a problem that needs solving. It's much more pressing than the specifics of this pandemic which will no doubt be researched in any case, with little to nothing to be gained from our musings and finger pointing right now.

Anyway, just bouncing ideas.

Last edited by Lightspeed : 3rd July 2020 at 18:02.