View Single Post
Old 11th April 2024, 13:52     #44241
Lightspeed

Quote:
Originally Posted by StN
The vintage scene is funny - goes in waves. At one stage, you would never see an Apple sunflower Mac, then there would be 3 at once.

I note there is a PS/2 8555 - 386SX is *almost* a 286

And a Compaq portable mainboard, sporting an 8088,

And a Tosh 286 portable, Amstrad PPC640 etc

but yeah, the days of an original IBM 5150 popping up, or a swathe of clones seems to be in a lull - I am embarrassed when I remember what I literally binned in the '90s - boxes and boxes of floppies, big iron flip cases and even a Sparc 5 *with* 20" display. Now I've had to go out a buy the same kind of thing again - or at least rescue it.

Commodore stuff seems to be popular now - a few garages getting cleaned out (or maybe parents passing on and kids cleaning out the house) with Vic-20s, CBM64s and Amigas everywhere. Still annoyed that a chap at the pub sought me out, and indicated he was going to dump a box of CBM gear (including a PET with disk subsystem) because he needed the room, went quiet, then came back and said I could have the lot for $1750. Yeah, nah...
I can't watch it. I have a few TradeMe alerts I never read because I know it would hurt too much.