View Single Post
Old 28th October 2020, 09:03     #42235
Nich

Quote:
Originally Posted by xor
Imagine if he played a Maori character. I'm sure nobody would get upset with that at all, unless he mispronounced a Maori name eh

That would be funny AF to watch.
Not Maori, but Jonah From Tonga has been pulled...

Four of Chris Lilley’s shows have been pulled from Netflix
https://www.news.com.au/entertainmen...690bed5efc973c

Quote:
The award-winning Australian comedian portrayed several racially diverse characters in his various series’, with We Can Be Heroes, Summer Heights High, Angry Boys and Jonah From Tonga ripped from the streaming service.
I think Ab is onto something, perhaps it's not what someone does, but who is doing it. Could it be Cohen has a free pass on racism because jewish people "can't be racist"(tm).

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lightspeed
I figured it was a mockery of how Americans view outsiders and minorities. Cohen plays up these absurd stereotypes, which are accepted uncritically amongst those who meets his characters.
And yes, LS, it is that. I still think of that nude hotel wrestling scene from the first film from time to time and have a chuckle. I like Zizek's take on race relations: we need to be able to transgress together in order to become closer. But perhaps it's best if movies and culture don't lead the way. Let us joke and have our locker room banter.

But also, I'd wager Cohen's audience outnumbers his xenophobic bigoted victims perhaps 100:1? ... 1000:1? And how uncritical must one be to come away from the movie feeling virtuous for supporting a fight against bigots, but then you turn to your mate and say "vvvery nice!", and they say back "waawawewa! you fuck my goat!". At least the white trash American knows their position on racism.