View Single Post
Old 22nd May 2022, 11:20     #75
[Malks] Pixie

Ab: That's some nice tone you've got there, very 60s, very trippy.

I'm going to echo the "I've been making music for years and I'm still shit at it" sentiment. There's no one right way to do things and it's the output that matters - and it matters most that you like what you produce or see some value in it (even if it's just as a learning experience).

I've only been experimenting with midi over the last couple of years and I'm literally jamming stuff together that should maybe never work in a traditional sense. Why not have a Norwegian Choir along with my fat 80s synth? Strings ensemble through a very metal guitar rig? Sure! Did I just put my drum mics in the center of a black hole level of reverb? I bloody well did. Do all the things I try work? Oh hell no. Do I always learn something? Almost always.

Wanna do grand, harp, bass & hip-hop drums - do it.

Practical advice:

If there's particular styles or genres you want work in/on then find examples (as DT suggests above) and analyse them. Use whatever rules/tricks you find and use them as guidelines for your own work.

Pick a couple of main plugin instruments and learn to manipulate them as best you can. Same thing goes with production plugins - pick an EQ, compressor, reverb and stick with them while you're learning. Don't stress about if it's the best plugin.

Break shit and have fun. You're only going to know if things work if you try them. Learning to fix your mistakes (or when to discard an idea) makes it much easier to find what you're looking for.

I thought this one was finished and uploaded it but turns out I over did the metal strings at the end and it needs some pitch-shifted guitar in the marching bit.