View Single Post
Old 18th October 2009, 23:17     #172
cryocore

Quote:
Originally Posted by JP
rant tanty rant
First up Romero had nothing to do with the remake. Zack (300/The Watchmen)Snyder directed a script written by James (Slither/Tromeo & Juliet/Scooby Doo Gunn). Apart from the running zombies I loved it too.

I liked Diary very much despite its flaws. The acting like in all of Romeros films (except the studio backed Land) was average, but the execution was excellent. Good pacing, well shot (if you like/appreciate POV cinema), and plays well within its own internal logic. The gore is good (Day had the best), the fx are very good for an indy film, and most of all its signature Romero throughout, in tone, pace, and philosophy. Sure he's becoming far more obvious in his old age, but symbolism/metaphores seem to go over the heads of a lot of people these days so I cant blame him too much for that.

I am a horror nerd and own well over 100 Zombie films. From the great Dead series (Night/Dawn/Day), [REC], Dance of the Dead, Braindead, Dellamorte Dellamore, Night of the Creeps, Dead Snow, Return of the Living Dead to the grate Children of the Living Dead, Redneck Zombies, Return of the Living Dead 4 and 5, and the truly awful Flesheater, Day of the Dead 2: Contagium and House of the Dead. The Day of the Dead remake also site close ot the bottom... shame really as the Dawn remake was a lot of fun.

Diary occupies neither the top or bottom end of the spectrum, but sits quite nicely along many other enjoyable if not spectacular Zombie flicks like The Bunker, Dawn remake, Versus, Undead, Mulberry Street, Bio Zombie, Tokyo Zombie, Quarantine and literally dozens of others.

and some recommendations

Trick r Treat!!!!!!!!!!!!! Loved it.

The Hills Run Red (not out in NZ, but if you like seriously violent slashers with a twisted sense of humour check it out asap). Bloody Disgusting review

and on a final note Night of the Creeps is about to finally get its DVD release due out this month in the US.

Last edited by cryocore : 18th October 2009 at 23:22.