View Single Post
Old 8th April 2017, 22:53     #2137
[Malks] Pixie

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lightspeed
This will be a good discussion to dig up in 5-10 years time.
Yeah it probably will be. I'm going to work this backwards.

Quote:
Given the clear problems around information bubbles and increasingly inadequate media coverage, I expect to see some solutions emerging.
Right. Be specific - what is the problem with "information bubbles"? Aren't they a reflection of socio-political groupings along economic / ethnic / ideological / religious lines? These groups all have different world views and seek different sources of information AND accept different types of evidence. This isn't new.

The funny thing is the idea of broadcasting kinda of set a counter for that - in that it is a one-to-many system. Everyone gets the same content - within technical reason. This is why have debates about "the media". Who is being served by it, who can exert control over it, how does it effect and affect us?

We don't have increasingly inadequate media coverage, we have a saturation of media coverage, from multiple different view point and interpretations. This has literally developed to cater for the previously mentioned different social (etc.) groupings because there is money in doing so. Lots of money it turns out.

Quote:
I would expect a large boom in technology, given the generations coming up completely immersed in tech, far more than any of us.
This is purely subjective - it assigns a particular complexity to technology which is new without accounting for the fact the previous technologies in the same "tree" (to use a game parallel) were just as complex to the population they were introduced to. Do you think farmers in 19th century were less immersed in the technologies they used to survive and make a living?

We'll be lucky if we get one revolutionary technology in the next 20 years - let alone a boom of them. I mean shit that had the same impact as the printing press, powered flight, gunpowder, antibiotics or language. The last one we had was the computer.

Quote:
There are surely examples of open source tech supported by enthusiasts. Are we as a society going to continue to become more educated and sophisticated? Or are we expecting to be shut down, kept stupid?
This presumes that, as a society, we've been either been stagnant in our education levels or that they are actually declining. Literally all evidence points in the opposite direction. You are talking about politics here, no about technology or even about media.

Quote:
I think your understanding of AI is overly grandiose​. Simple AI could do the job.
Do what job?

This is why I described it as techno-utopian, because you're literally just saying "this technology will fix everything around this problem" and absolutely no details on how or why.