View Single Post
Old 27th August 2010, 13:22     #73
JP

Quote:
Originally Posted by DrTiTus
Jail isn't necessarily about rehabilitation. It's about keeping dangerous assholes off the streets. You seem to think they deserve elocution lessons and a new wardrobe.

OK, so maybe just execute them when they get convicted of their SECOND jail term?

That way you'd have to be really unlucky to get convicted for TWO crimes you didn't do. Problem solved. Next!

Consider that some people are just assholes, and won't be rehabilitated in this life.

By the way, thanks for the "mature discussion".
The entire point is what you or I think they 'deserve' is irrelevant and subjective. Treating people who you think they 'deserve' to be treated will often result in terrible actions. People are petty and cruel as you've shown. Removing 'deserve' from the equation results in a more effective and more 'moral' system.

However even if we had super cops who never got it wrong, a justice system that treated everyone exactly the same and prisons made from gold, this would never ever resolve the problem. Prison is a self replicating problem, imprisoning people wrecks families, which results in more crime. The war on drugs in the US is a perfect example of how one, the justice system is extraordinarily arbitrary, and two how increasing penalties dramatically can lead to a social breakdown with massive increases in crime.

Come on man, no one here has an agenda, what you think I love criminals or something? I'm a white middle class male living on the North Shore, the only difference is that when I see some news story about some terrible crime, I would actually like to start improving the situation. I feel the exact same desire for revenge, that is entirely natural but so is all 'evil'.