View Single Post
Old 21st February 2018, 18:52     #35
CCS
Stunt Pants

Quote:
Originally Posted by Savage
Yeah I figured, I was just so proud of my Macdonalds and Roast analogy that I had to post regardless

You lost my interest at McDonald's and I don't know what you said after that, so it was all for nothing.

Jokes aside, I believe the quality of writing has gone down as well - typically that which is on the internet. Of course, some of the writing is designed for the drive-thru reader in response to the lowered attention span. Little chicken nuggets rather than a full roast chicken. But the writing I'm concerned about is the stuff that thinks it is good. Writing can still get to the point without being simple, click-baity and throwaway. It can be succinct with being a Tweet. This writing that believes it is 'good' really tends to fucking waffle on about shit while taking paragraphs and paragraphs to get to the point. These aren't whimsical think-pieces. They're articles intended to communicate information but they can't seem to achieve that without the writer assuming you're interested in their musings. They writer mishmashes personal blogging into something that ought to be a useful article.

I'm not talking about amateur writing. That can be excused. It's the so-called professional writers that really boil my piss. I think part of the problem is that they've probably never had an editor breath down their neck. They've not been told the importance of explaining the "how, what, why, where, when, who" that we were taught in school. Maybe it's because they're part of the Me Generation that has gown-up admiring themselves in the reflection of their phone camera and they think that everything they write is great and deserves to be read.

Or maybe I'm just pretentious.