View Single Post
Old 28th July 2021, 14:24     #277
Lightspeed

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ab
Science is a system that lets us separate the true stuff from the false stuff. If a piece of "traditional knowledge" fails the tests, it wasn't actually knowledge; it was belief.

Of course pointing this out is hate speech now.
That's one thing science is. A look to history shows that science has filled a variety of roles.

Sometimes things people say in ignorance are hateful. Because of that which is lost on the ignorant but is known to others.

The consequences here aren't people getting machine gunned on the streets for having their hateful views exposed.

Now, I wonder if people can recall how science was considered and valued the last time people in the so-called Enlightened cities of world were indeed vulnerable to being gunned down in the street for holding views, supporting positions, opposing others. How it was pointed to as justification for many changes to the way people lived. Buy-in from the population expected, demanded, compelled.

I'm far from an expert, but I've read at least enough, been shown real, verifiable history of all kinds of awful nonsense done in the name of science. And I've also seen how science has been applied to the task of understanding science. And you know what science teaches us?

It can't be all about science.