View Single Post
Old 1st February 2017, 22:59     #164
Nothing

Quote:
Originally Posted by CCS
Read some literature in the field? Are you serious? Are you going to suggest anything in particular or is that it?
First, it's not my job to educate you.

Second, if I thought you were really totally incapable of finding anything yourself I'm sure I'd be willing to help you out, but google exists and I'm pretty sure you know how to use it. Don't you prefer me giving you the benefit of the doubt, rather than simply assuming you're an idiot?

Third, even if I were to make a recommendation to you, you would probably ridicule it, so I would rather you find the material yourself. That way, you'll be less likely to discount what any particular author has said simply because I made a recommendation. Additionally, if there are authors that I might recommend who you would reject out of hand, then by not making any specific recommendation I allow you to exercise your own discretion with regards to who you decide to pay attention to in terms of evaluating credibility.

Since it's not exactly an uncommon view, as I have already mentioned, unless you are rejecting views which differ from your own as a result of being unable to see past your own internal cognitive biases I'm sure that a small investment of time on your part will yield you with plenty of material which would allow you to read arguments on both sides.This is especially true since anyone doing a good job of arguing either side of the discussion usually does their best to also present the opposing view in a reasonably charitable fashion before criticising it.

Quote:
Originally Posted by CCS
The doesn't mean such a view is accurate or useful.
No, the fact that a view in some field or other is at least not hard to find does not automatically make it correct, but my comment arose because you 'failed to see' (couldn't understand? can't imagine? that sort of thing?) how there might be no democracy.

Well, I'm simply pointing out that your failure to see doesn't mean that there is an absence of a case to be made. Which is, if you think about it, quite similar to your point that a view being common doesn't make it correct.

Last edited by Nothing : 1st February 2017 at 23:02.