View Single Post
Old 31st October 2017, 02:31     #31
CCS
Stunt Pants

Bradman's friend with the bananas has my sympathies. However, there's a few things that need to be pointed out. The first is that there has always been a stand down period no matter who is in government. I don't believe Labour has campaigned on any policy to change that. If they do, I'm fine with that - in principle.

The WINZ website has this to say:

Quote:
What is a stand down?

The principle behind applying a stand down is that a client should be able to provide for themselves for a short period of time.
How long will a stand down last?

The length of the stand down depends on:

the client's average weekly income (before tax) in the 26 or 52 weeks immediately before the client’s entitlement date, and
the number of dependent children in their care at any time during the same period.
So the way it works - on paper - is that for the client (banana man) to be on a stand down, WINZ has assessed him as having enough money to get through those 2 weeks. Was that policy any different under a previous Labour govt? Will it change under the new Labour government?

If WINZ puts him on a stand down and he believes he won't be able to get by for those 2 weeks with money, then he has this option, mentioned on the CAB website:

Quote:
You may still be able to get emergency assistance such as food grants or a loan from WINZ if you run out of money before you are due to receive the benefit payments. You can contact your local Work and Income office or enquire online. You can also contact your local Citizens Advice Bureau to help you find out whether you are eligible for emergency assistance from Work and Income.
Failing that, I would suggest going to the Hamilton Salvation Army or the Hamilton Methodist Action.

So in fact, there is support for Banana Man. I believe this support has been available through the National government, was available through the Helen Clark Labour govt and will be through the Ardern Labour govt.

Again, Banana Man has my sympathies. But I don't think his situation is as dire as has been made out.