Thread: nCoV 2019
View Single Post
Old 18th December 2023, 12:27     #3317
DrTiTus
HENCE WHY FOREVER ALONE

I don't really have any strong conclusions: we can see during lockdown less [old] people died than the previous year - but it was similar to 2015, and I'm not sure what the significance of that year was. We don't necessarily know why, although we might try to guess. We might say it was from less disease being spread, or we might say it was because they did literally nothing, which carries almost zero risk. It might be they didn't get chemo treatment, and chemo is a bitch. But we are only guessing, and the only thing I know for sure is I don't have that information and a guess is not a fact.

It also shows that more [old] people are dying now than in the last 10 years, which we also don't have the information for. The increase is still not alarming. It's ~3.55 per thousand rather than a low of ~3.3. Assuming 1M old people, that's a difference of ~250 people (I don't know what the numbers are). I don't know what these people are dying from, which probably matters. If they were all suicides, that would mean something different to if they were all boating accidents, versus all cancer, and so on.

If the trend continues and old people continue to die at higher and higher rates, we might conclude life expectancy is going down, but we have to wait and see. It might be their chemo was delayed, so now they're dying from treatment. I don't know, I'm just being cynical about chemo because it's one of those things where the cure can sometimes be worse than the disease and people have to take their chances. I say it tongue in cheek, and I'm not strongly anti-chemo, it's just an example. I don't have the information.

It looks like nothing [much] changed for the under 40s, which is interesting considering we went through "the most deadly pandemic of our lives". So deadly that we ended up all getting sick and still not a blip, even from those who refused.

Lockdown was a very expensive exercise, so it would probably have been cheaper to give free trips to Disneyland to every family whose grandma died. Not saying that's the best option, but in reality, it would probably have cost only millions instead of billions.