Thread: nCoV 2019
View Single Post
Old 21st August 2020, 13:03     #1128
Nich

Again, NZ is perhaps unique among nations that there is still a genuine love of the country, a trust in institutions, and a leader that is respected and admired internationally (As LS pointed out). Also, NZ is also unique in that it may be the only country that has an actual chance of being free of COVID-19.

In NZ the national effort to social distance and lockdown may improve feelings of solidarity. The platitudes of "Let's stay COVID safe" aren't completely stripped of meaning.

In AUS, the order to social distance and lockdown comes across more like a loathsome step-dad grounding his adopted children. Our PM talks to the nation as if we're school children ("You all get an early mark."). Our state premiers are shutting their borders as if all their cases are imported from other states. They aren't even attempting to appeal to our sense of national solidarity. Just do what the government tells you, or we'll fine you or chuck you in prison.

https://www.health.gov.au/ministers/...health-support

Quote:
more than $500 million additional funding for mental health and suicide prevention since January
The Aus gov has made the investment either based on the intuition, or research that suggests lockdowns will negatively affect mental health.

OTOH, I believe the lockdowns have forced many people to find a quality of life that is more satisfactory than their old routine drudgery. Personally, I am reading more books, playing music more, spending less, talking more openly with Robyn. If I ignore the news, my life has improved! We've been lucky in many respects especially regarding our debts. And when my income went to $0 I could pivot to becoming full time dad while Robyn's workload increased. I've had some very dark days in 2020 nonetheless, and it would have been much worse if we found ourselves at risk of defaulting on our debts and scrambling to find income.

Last edited by Nich : 21st August 2020 at 13:04.