View Single Post
Old 31st January 2014, 10:01     #12
[Malks] Pixie

I have no problem with the idea of changing the flag - though it would be nice if the change coincided with some sigificant changes within NZ (obviously not going to happen though).

On the other hand I am quite opposed to the use of the silver fern - but not for the bat-shit-crazy reasons presented by the RSA (that people would confuse it with a white feather - like a white feather has some universal meaning).

I guess my issue with the silver fern is that it is, at least to me, a corporate logo now. Various versions of it have been trademarked over the years and it's used by both NZ and overseas based companies. Sure it's been used by a number of our sporting teams but many of those (such as Team NZ <retch>) are run as corporate organisations anyway and represent various brands as much as they do NZ (All Blacks, Team NZ).

I quite like the idea of using a Koru and would love any change in the flag to at least in someway have a connection with Maori, even if it's just using the artistic style seen in a lot of Maori art.

Pixie

[oh and John Ansell]

Last edited by [Malks] Pixie : 31st January 2014 at 10:03.